Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Enormous #1

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
Giant monster fans...

CBR has a preview for this. I had not seen anything on it until now.

"In the midst of a planetary battle for food and fuel, a vast ecological cataclysm spawns THE ENORMOUS, massive beasts unlike anything ever witnessed. Humankind struggles to stave off extinction and the only law is to hunt or be hunted. It’s an epic action adventure featuring the survival of the biggest!"

Due out July 5th through Image.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=12130

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Looks like an interesting concept, but once again, the art puts me off. It's the rare photorealistic/painted style comic that appeals to me. I like my comics more comic-y.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I was keen on this from the initial mention in the July solicits but instantly cooled off entirely to the point that I'm not even grabbing #1. The art is bad, I don't need comic-y art but it has to be good. The other big problem I have is that comic books are not really the best medium for trying to convey massive/huge scales and size and the necessary emotion and gravity. They do "big" well but not massive and certainly not enormous.
  • Options
    I'm interested, but I'll have to see what DCBS has it marked down to. 64 page one-shot for $9.99.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Hmmm, I have to disagree with Zhurrie about comics not conveying huge, massive scales very well.

The first thing that pops into my mind is Galactus. Alex Ross did an amazing job with showing us just how well comics can handle grand scale when he did the FF vs Galactus fight in Marvels. Other artists have been able to convey his enormity too. Earth X had a double page spread of Galactus' face filling the entire sky as he looked down on the invading Celestials.

I think the right artist can use comics to convey any size the story calls for.
  • Options
    @Mr_Cosmic I disagree, just as you mentioned, with a two-page spread you got a face... how much can be conveyed in just a face when you are trying to get across enormity? Artists can do anything but you can't make a comic that is all full page splashes or two-page spreads so how do you do enormous and have any sense of foreboding or mood or fear in tiny panels? You don't.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Yeah- I like the premise, but I also find the art to be a turn-off. Too shiny. Overproduced. It reminds me of a lot of the art from the Radical books: I can tell there is a lot of technical skill behind them, but the end product leaves me cold.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Well, we'll have to just agree to disagree. If an artist can't pull it off for you how can I argue? For me I've turned the page of more than one comic and had my breath taken away by how well an artist has conveyed some colossal hero, villain, monster, etc
  • Options
    Yes, we've all seen individual scenes of a large thing look great, but that is the entire premise here and look at the preview... do you see anything there that screams "ENORMOUS!" I don't. It is pretty bog standard stuff. It is OK to disagree, but I just have never seen massive scale work in comics across a series, just in spots. Could it be done, sure, do I think this book is the one to prove me wrong, not a chance.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited April 2012
    do you see anything there that screams "ENORMOUS!"[?]
    You mean beside the big eye in the window straight out of the God-awful American version of Godzilla? Or was it Cloverfield? King Kong, maybe? All of the above? :-?
  • Options
    There's 60 other pages that we haven't seen yet. I don't know if it will be more of the same from the four pages that are being shown here. I would hope that if you're doing a book of this nature that the enormity of these monsters come across well. I'm not entirely turned off by the art so I'm willing to give this a shot, but I would like to see some more preview art and the DCBS price will have to be pretty sweet.
  • Options
    And I think I'm out. These extra pages do are not bringing me in.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37962