Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1549 Talkback - Previews

It's Previews time once again as we go through the April catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in June. We also have a brief chat with artist JK Woodward about his upcoming 'Behemoth' book coming out through Monkey Brain Comics. (1:34:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Without listening back to the previous episode where the call for donations took place, is this where we should donate? - http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/donate.php
    Forgive me if it was said in Bryan's explanation in this episode, but it would be good to get the word out with all pertinent details.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Correct. That is the place to donate. I do believe that I forgot to mention it on this episode.

I hate asking for money, so I tend to forget important details. Thanks for pointing this out.

Bry
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks Bryan! I donated. Everyone else... you should too! Just a dollar.

Thanks Ian! I had no thought that he might do that, until I just barely saw the set come into view.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    As for your question about Bryan Hitch and whether or not this is his first writing gig with JLA, he was not the writer on America's Got Powers. That was Britain's own Jonathan Ross (who snogged Neil Gaiman at the Eisner Awards a few years back).

Bryan Hitch DID write a book for Image though, called Real Heroes. Here's a link to a preview for issue 1, which came out back in 2014. It's actually still coming out, with issue 5 currently scheduled for release on April 29th.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Cursed Pirate Girl for the win!
  • Options

Cursed Pirate Girl for the win!

Somebody knows what's going on!

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2015
    Wow, trades of both America vs. the Justice Society AND the Sub Diego/American Tidal arc from Aquaman? Talk about some awesome deep cuts from DC this month. That Aquaman story (and the run that followed) was especially good... overlooked, I think, because it was bookended between the weird "mystical water hand" thing (which he still had throughout the rest of that series, though it was mostly overlooked) and the One Year Later "Sword of Atlantis" thing, but probably some of the best Aquaman comics ever, to be honest.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited April 2015
    I'll be getting the Millar/Morrison Swamp Thing Trade for sure!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2015
    Also looking forward to 8house: Arclight, which is only the first in a series of stories set in a shared universe overseen by Graham. Knowing some of the talent that's going to be involved, it should be very interesting.

Also, as I mentioned in the last Previews thread, IDW is collecting the entire Bravo for Adventure, along with associated sketches. It's Alex Toth, so I'm there.

As for DC, I'm most looking forward to Dr. Fate, actually. One of my favorite characters, plus I love Sonny Liew’s work, and with Paul writing, I have pretty high hopes for it.

And I'll give Black Hammer and Strange Fruit a try as well, based on the creative teams.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for calling my attention to that League of Regrettable Superheroes book. As a fan of both comics-related encyclopedia-type books and weird super characters (I proudly own all 3 issue of Fatman, the Human Flying Saucer and the first of Tod Holton, Super Green Beret, which means I own 4/5s of Lightning Comics's total oddball output!), this is right up my alley.

And @brydeemer, I'm a pretty recent convert to the new Valiant, so I'll give you the same advice I was given... start with Archer & Armstrong, maybe Unity (the team book), and the recent mini-series The Valiant. The former because it's a great buddy action book, the latter two because they give you a feel for the rest of the universe. And though there's a lot of backstory involved leading into them, they do a good job of catching up new readers without bogging down the story. Ivar, Timewalker has been really good, too, and is only 3 issues in now so it's still easy to catch up.
  • Options
    As for the Marvel books that are coming out during Secret Wars, I think it is save to assume if it isn't marked with how many issues it will be, it will probably go the full four months that Secret Wars is taken place (going by two issues a month of the main SECRET WARS title). There may be exceptions if the books sell well (like A-Force for example), but for most, I think four issues will be the norm. Like the Inhumans title, I think once Secret Wars is over, it will return to normal, but for now we are getting four issues of this Inhuman title, who's name I forgot. HAHA.

All of this could be totally wrong of course, as is my norm. :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2015
    I just did my order and it's $20 cheaper than last month and $30 cheaper than two months ago. Marvel and DC are really making it easy to trim down my orders with their glut of alternate reality books.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Wha--?!? No Marvel off-the-rack pick this month?!? Wotta travesty! Haha...just kidding.
    Well, my order was only slightly less than last month's. It probably would've been a lot less but I ordered the DCBS DC 1st issue bundle, hoping that I didn't double order something. I got a lot fewer Marvel books mostly because I wasn't sure what to order because so many of my favorites were missing (All New X-Men, the regular Thor, Daredevil, Avengers and New Avengers, for example). Cursed Pirate Girl? I wasn't impressed with it when I read it before and I won't be buying this time. The League of Regrettable Superheroes sounds so fun! Wish I could afford it! - - - - Thanks for the episode guys! I'm gonna go try and donate now...