Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Alcatraz - TV Show

So, I'm catching up on Hulu, and the show hasn't hooked me yet. The proceedural weekly is good but I want more. They are not really teasing any mysteries or answers. I'm not sure if I like the show because its good or because a lot of the people who worked on LOST work on this. Hurley is here, Jack Bender director is here, as well as the same composer, can't remember his name. What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    My only 2 real issues with the show are that 1) it's not procedural 2) The episodic stories. I wish some would run 2-3 eps. As a whole I do like the story. It's interesting and the characters aren't your cookie cutter types that tend to be on shows like this.

If you don't like it by now you should just stop wasting your time.
  • Options
    I like the show, I just cant figure out if its b/c of the LOST connections, or if I like the show for itself.
  • Options
    Jack Bender has only directed 4 out of the 11 eps. So unless you REALLY know his directing style chances are you like some of the other eps he has not done.

Can you think of anyone else who could play Doc better or at least as good as Jorge Garcia?

The composers' name is Michael Giacchino he has done 10 out of the 11 eps.

If you like more than 4 eps of the show and think there is someone who could at least play Doc as good chances are you like the show because of the show and not the connections it has to LOST. What if there was no music in the show would that effect how you feel about it?
  • Options
    JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    I just couldn't get into this, the main character, the woman, just seems so phony to me.
  • Options
    So far, this show is not "must see TV" for me. I've been watching each week, but jsut find it to be mediocre. I really wish they would provide a little bit more about the mystery of how the '63s are in the present day. With both Doctors being amongst the '63s, surely they can give us a little more information.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Is this show going to make it?

I want to know if I should give it a a shot and go on an episode binge.
  • Options
    TALTAL Posts: 8
    I think it's a great show. I sure hope it gets a second season.
  • Options
    No official word has been said but Shara Jones (the lead on the show) did an interview on Attack of the Show a few days back and pretty much said they're going to have a 2nd season. Again no official word from Fox has been given.
  • Options
    Interesting. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Anybody watch the season finale last night? What answers did we even get? Just laughing. Ugh.
  • Options
    We found out that Madsen wares a padded bar.

We also found out that the Warden be behind it all according to Tommy. And that they are back because Stillman broke a promise. The stuff we found out wasn't anything Earth-shattering but they are answers and it seems like there are sides. Good 63s vs Bad 63s.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited March 2012
    I really wanted to like this show... and I've seen all the episodes so far... but I couldn't care less if it gets renewed or not.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    If you get a chance watch the season finale just to see the homage to the greatest car chase ever from the movie "Bullet" That car chase from Alcatraz put a smile on my face that last well into the next day.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I was watching pretty regularly, but have dropped off the past few weeks. I really only watched for Lost connections. Could care less about the actual show.
  • Options
    O.K this is bugging me. The "could care less" saying. It's "I couldn't careless" unless of course you actually do care about topic X,otherwise,yes, it is "I could care less" since saying "I could less" shows at least some interest on your part.

Not trying to start anything it's just that I've been seeing that phrase a lot lately and it's getting to me.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    O.K this is bugging me. The "could care less" saying. It's "I couldn't careless" unless of course you actually do care about topic X,otherwise,yes, it is "I could care less" since saying "I could less" shows at least some interest on your part.

Not trying to start anything it's just that I've been seeing that phrase a lot lately and it's getting to me.
    Well, thanks for the correction. I fixed my post.

May I suggest you revisit your own post and proofread it?
  • Options
    You may but I won't.
  • Options
    CANCELED!!!!!!!

ALL THAT MYSTERY AND NO ANSWERS FOR NOTHING!!!

Why didn't they wrap anything up if they didn't know they weren't going to get picked up? I hope to watch Jorge Garcia on something else, I love him, he's just too fun not to be employed as an actor.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I never got a chance to watch it (also kind of reluctant due to how Lost turned out), but Fox needs to stop making new shows if they won't even listen to the feedback of it's viewers. All of these one season shows and then the shows drop no matter the ratings. It's enough to drive a person crazy.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The show had some awesome moments. Lots of potential - now gone down the drain. Well done FOX X(
  • Options
    spaceman88spaceman88 Posts: 19
    I stopped watching after 5 episodes. Does it ever really build to anything?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @spaceman88 : it kind of did...really...
  • Options
    It was good,not great but good. Felt more like a Summer type of show. It did build up but I think it built up a little to late. Shame really since it really felt like they were letting loose near the end.
  • Options
    Glad I never got into it, then.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    This is from an article that theorizes why the show was canceled:
    Alcatraz
    This one didn't look like much of a gamble at all, at least to "Lost" fans: It starred endearing Lostie Jorge Garcia, was produced by Abrams and other "Lost" veterans, and was co-created by "Lost" writer Elizabeth Sarnoff. It was set partly on an island, for gosh sakes.
    But since the rather open-ended conclusion of "Lost," viewers have been awfully careful about mythology-filled shows that may or may not go anywhere. "Alcatraz" had one big central mystery – how did the former prisoners disappear in 1963, and why do they keep reappearing in modern times? "Alcatraz" hedged its bets, doling out clues as it kept viewers occupied from episode to episode with an escaped criminal of the week. The half-and-half approach didn't engage enough of them.
    The whole article is here.
    tv.yahoo.com/news/four-big-tv-gambles-failed-season-means-next-013846082.html
  • Options
    This is from an article that theorizes why the show was canceled:
    Alcatraz
    This one didn't look like much of a gamble at all, at least to "Lost" fans: It starred endearing Lostie Jorge Garcia, was produced by Abrams and other "Lost" veterans, and was co-created by "Lost" writer Elizabeth Sarnoff. It was set partly on an island, for gosh sakes.
    But since the rather open-ended conclusion of "Lost," viewers have been awfully careful about mythology-filled shows that may or may not go anywhere. "Alcatraz" had one big central mystery – how did the former prisoners disappear in 1963, and why do they keep reappearing in modern times? "Alcatraz" hedged its bets, doling out clues as it kept viewers occupied from episode to episode with an escaped criminal of the week. The half-and-half approach didn't engage enough of them.
    The whole article is here.
    tv.yahoo.com/news/four-big-tv-gambles-failed-season-means-next-013846082.html
    Reminds me of why I gave up on Terra Nova.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Why was it cancelled? It was up against Dancing with the Stars and CBS's Comedy block.

I hope they do SOMETHING to let us viewers who stayed with it know the secret, even if it's just a discussion podcast or something.
  • Options
    Why was it cancelled? It was up against Dancing with the Stars and CBS's Comedy block.

I hope they do SOMETHING to let us viewers who stayed with it know the secret, even if it's just a discussion podcast or something.
    ismyshowcancelled.com/article/2012-05-09/alcatraz-cancelled-by-fox/
    Fox has cancelled new drama Alcatraz, which premiered earlier this year in January as a mid-season replacement. The series got off to a solid start in the ratings, but viewership dropped off significantly over the course of its 13 episodes. The show's last four episodes rated a series low 1.6 in the key adults 18-49 demographic, which was clearly not enough for Fox to bring back the series.
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    I wouldn't even think that the comedy block would effect much, especially with all those DVRs and old school tapers who can watch comedy at anytime. However, with these never ending reality competion shows that will never end, the ratings always go to them it seems. It is annoying how much pop television beats out intersting shows.