Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

$70 3-day pass for a con that doesn't have the words San Diego, Chicago or New York in it?

Haven't been to Motor City Comic con in nearly 6 years due to I went to a competing con that was more comic focus and cheaper. Unfortunately it ended. I am planning to go this year on Saturday May 16. 1 day pass is $35 but I saw the 3 day pass was $70! I paid $60 for a 3 day pass for C2E2.

Motor City is pretty much THE con here with a few up and comers and a major anime con. They are very media guests heavy. They are going to have 7 Walking Dead cast members. But $70 for a 3 day pass seems a bit much. Is it just me?

www.motorcitycomiccon.com

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    It may seem like a lot, but break it down day by day and compare it to other cons.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    3-day pass for HeroesCon is just $40.

And it's all about comics.

• Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Wizard World prices in the Twin Cities are $75. And autographs are extra.

Meanwhile, MSP ComicCon, an ALL comic book convention is $12 for 2 days and all autographs are free. And it isn't on Free Comic Book Day.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

Wizard World prices in the Twin Cities are $75. And autographs are extra.

Meanwhile, MSP ComicCon, an ALL comic book convention is $12 for 2 days and all autographs are free. And it isn't on Free Comic Book Day.

That's why I would be surprised if Wizard World tried to come to Detroit because Motor City fills that niche. We have some other comic focused shows trying to get established like Great Lakes Comic Con and Fantasti-con. $15-20 price range.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    $65 for adult 3-Day Denver Comic-Con Pass. Kid's 3-Day was only $10. But ages 2-10 (only one more year my son can get in at this rate. He may just have to stay 10 for the next five years.).

They sold out of both of them two weeks ago. Daily passes still available. Comics, actors, animation/voiceover stars--actually, it's really just a smorgasbord of pop/geek culture. Memorial Day weekend (Sat. - Mon.).

So when con organizers said the cost of the con went up as to be comparable to other cons of its size they were talking about Wizard World cons? Grrrr. I'd be fine if they got rid of all the actors and animation stuff and just focused on comics. Especially as it is the fundraising event for a kid centered after school program that focuses on writing, drawing, reading, and the overall act of creating comics.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

$65 for adult 3-Day Denver Comic-Con Pass. Kid's 3-Day was only $10. But ages 2-10 (only one more year my son can get in at this rate. He may just have to stay 10 for the next five years.).

They sold out of both of them two weeks ago. Daily passes still available. Comics, actors, animation/voiceover stars--actually, it's really just a smorgasbord of pop/geek culture. Memorial Day weekend (Sat. - Mon.).

So when con organizers said the cost of the con went up as to be comparable to other cons of its size they were talking about Wizard World cons? Grrrr. I'd be fine if they got rid of all the actors and animation stuff and just focused on comics. Especially as it is the fundraising event for a kid centered after school program that focuses on writing, drawing, reading, and the overall act of creating comics.

Up to about 2012 or 2013 they charged kids over the age of 6 the FULL adult price for tickets on Saturday. That was $25. That's what drove me away for so long. So if I wanted to take both my kids who were 8 and 11 at the time it would be $75 to just walk through the door. Thanks to some competition they changed it to $10 per kid with Sundays free now.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    $90 for the full event (3-day plus Preview Night) Phoenix Comicon - although you can save money by buying early. It's my local convention and offers a decent blend of comic pros vs. celebs, but the balance seems to be shifting away from comics in recent years. We have a great talented bunch of local creators, and they do their best to showcase us when they can, but I've noticed a lot more ads for Alyson Hannigan and Karl Urban showing up than Joyce Chin, to give you an idea.

But hey, I'll be there, and that's worth the price of admission right there! :)
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

fredzilla said:

Up to about 2012 or 2013 they charged kids over the age of 6 the FULL adult price for tickets on Saturday. That was $25. That's what drove me away for so long. So if I wanted to take both my kids who were 8 and 11 at the time it would be $75 to just walk through the door. Thanks to some competition they changed it to $10 per kid with Sundays free now.
    In WW's defense, they're not billed as a family-friendly, bring you kids kind of con. At least that's not the impression I get. But Denver CC the primary revenue stream for an after school program for kids. It was like this for the first two years. Once Charlito, Frank, and the other Comics in the Classroom staff were dropped from the board, things took this turn. But that's another story for another time.

I'm not mad at the behind the scenes shenanigan, but I'm a teacher and we started a comic book club this year at my middle school, and one of the things I was hyping for the kids was Denver CC. Yet all of my middle school students would have to pay adult ticket prices on top of their parents having to pay as well. Many of my students are from low-income families. $10 a ticket was probably doable. $35 is unconscionable for a 12 year old.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Torchsong said:

$90 for the full event (3-day plus Preview Night) Phoenix Comicon - although you can save money by buying early. It's my local convention and offers a decent blend of comic pros vs. celebs, but the balance seems to be shifting away from comics in recent years. We have a great talented bunch of local creators, and they do their best to showcase us when they can, but I've noticed a lot more ads for Alyson Hannigan and Karl Urban showing up than Joyce Chin, to give you an idea.

I'm in Tucson, never been to a con... definitely considered going to the Phoenix Comicon, but the price has always been an issue. Maybe I will try a one day visit and check it out.

• Options
    New York Comic-con tickets go on sale on May 13. $75 for a three day ticket and $105 for a four day. Compared to Motor City I would pay that even though folks online are saying its going up.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    kgforce said:

Torchsong said:

I'm in Tucson, never been to a con... definitely considered going to the Phoenix Comicon, but the price has always been an issue. Maybe I will try a one day visit and check it out.

Tucson has a nice on that runs in November - it's smaller but the focus is more on comics and in particular locally produced ones. I'm looking to do it eventually. Phoenix is a fun convention but bring $$$. You will be spending it.
  • Options
    glandgland Posts: 17
    The only con I'll shell out for anymore is Dragoncon. It's a much more casual experience, and I can spend the week with friends who I don't otherwise get the opportunity to see due to geography...which I imagine is at least part of the draw that others feel for different shows. But beyond that...I'll still go to New York, but never more than one day. Too expensive, too crowded.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Salt lake con in sept. 3day pass= $60, $50 if you buy in advance.