Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1559 Talkback - Off the Racks Two-in-One

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited May 2015 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
We're doubling down on Off the Racks in this episode, bringing you reviews of a whopping SIX comics for the (free) price of three! First, it's a time-traveling twofer as we compare and contrast Image's Chrononauts #1 and Dark Horse's Past Aways #1, with Marvel's Howard the Duck #1 thrown in at no egg-stra charge! Then, please keep your seats for a Revolutionary romp through Dark Horse's Rebels #1, an influx of insights on Uncanny Inhumans #0, and a super-timely (for us) gloss of Marvel's all-new Secret Wars #1!

Listen and/or watch here.

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I'll listen to rest of the episode once I read Chrononauts and Secret Ward. I was happy with the six minutes of Pants talking about his last Letterman trip. I forgot he went to the 10, 20, and 30th anniversary shows. That's a feat! I'm sure Dave appreciates fans like you. Enjoy those five hours @Pants! Unless NBC and CBS releases Letterman apps with all 6000 hours of his content! Including the morning show!
  • Options
    ptsteelersptsteelers Posts: 32
    Another great episode, guys. I can only say to anyone not familiar with the 'goings on', with the happenings in Avengers/New Avengers over the last few months (or years) to be sure to check out the Marvel FCBD issue of Secret Wars. It is a short, yet precise recap that I think Murd was looking for. Although yes, inside issue one proper would have also been a nice place to put a short recap. I can only agree with that.

Also, one question, what happened to the Pants 'after the reviews' part that was in the description? I also see the vid was originally 2:26 minutes, but is now only 2:20. Did you guys just decide to cut it? or did it not record well? Or did you just decide to lace it at the opening instead of at the end? (though that would not explain the missing 6 minutes ... not that yo have to give an explanation .. haha)
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506

Also, one question, what happened to the Pants 'after the reviews' part that was in the description? I also see the vid was originally 2:26 minutes, but is now only 2:20. Did you guys just decide to cut it? or did it not record well? Or did you just decide to lace it at the opening instead of at the end? (though that would not explain the missing 6 minutes ... not that yo have to give an explanation .. haha)

It's an iPod exclusive! :D The bonus content with Pants can be heard on the audio-only version of the episode, but it's not part of the YouTube video.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Pants staring at the camera during the theme song was a little offputting. Haha. It was like he was looking right at us. Good thing I was dressed!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Thanks for the plug on the Eisner book, guys. I hope you enjoy it. Just a tiny correction re: the Eisner documentary. The documentary—which is actually titled Will Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist—was not produced by TwoMorrows, but by one of our editors, Jon B. Cooke, and his brother Andrew, who works in the film industry as a producer, director, location scout, etc. TwoMorrows is just acting as a distributor with that. But, as Chris mentioned, we do offer a combo pack of the DVD and the A Spirited Life book.

A Spirited Life was originally released over ten years ago through Dark Horse, but contained very little art, as they tried to market it to the mainstream book market. We've plus-sized it, redesigning it in a larger format with expanded text and a lot of artwork.
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyed Chris' Uncanny Inhumans blasting. Cover price is absolutely part of the process when it comes to deciding what books I read. I appreciate his candor as a retailer and reader on this.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I thought Howard was okay, but not as good as I was hoping. The second issue didn't convince me either. I'm giving it one more shot before I drop it.

I also wanted to point out that Zdarsky was writing action-humor long before he teamed up with Fraction. I read some of his creator-owned stuff back in the mid-2000s, and Howard fits in well with what he was doing then, which is why I went into the series with fairly high hopes. It just hasn't quite done it for me.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited May 2015
    Great episode and excellent analysis throughout.

I'm really liking Secret Wars, and issue #2 might be the best comic I've read so far this year. However, the "worlds colliding" stuff hasn't just been going on for "almost a year", as Chris guestimated, but more like two and a half years, ever since the latest New Avengers #1, which I believe was released in December 2012.

So while I agree with the sentiment that $5 is a lot to pay for Uncanny Inhumans #0, I'm absolutely floored by how much money readers will have invested in Hickman's "incursions" storyline. I think it's basically totaled about $400 cover price thus far, once you add up nearly 100 issues of Avengers + New Avengers + Infinity, taking into account the not infrequent oversized issues that were more than $4 a pop. Personally, for me, the ride has been worth it and I think the story has been terribly unique... but I use Ebates and magazines.com to get Marvel subscriptions at $1.50 per issue. And then I split the cost with a friend who just wants the digital codes. So I definitely can't complain. For me, this has been fun and continues to be fun.

But, again, while I agree that Uncanny Inhumans #0 really could have used a recap page, I'm stunned that Secret Wars #1 wasn't more reader friendly. I can't imagine what a new reader who hadn't at least have heard of the "incursions" would have thought of this comic. I've read and REREAD all of Hickman's Avengers, New Avengers, and Infinity, and even I don't quite know the logistics of everything that's happening. But there is next to no introduction to anything and every scene change brings with it a new conundrum for readers who haven't been following along the whole time. ("Who is this evil Reed Richards? Why is Thanos there? Is it 'our' Thanos, or...? Why is he with Reed? IS he with Reed? What are their plans?")

Much more than Uncanny Inhumans, I think Secret Wars is a major play for new or lapsed readers. I've even heard other veteran podcasters (who've loved Hickman's saga so far) contending that this new "Secret Wars" will become a masterful tome of comics excellence that you could hand to anyone, like a Watchmen or Year One or Dark Knight Returns. I just can't imagine it. It's the most convoluted and continuity-heavy thing I've ever seen. I'm enjoying it, and I like Hickman's writing, but to be honest half of the fun is seeing how far he goes on this ridiculously long leash that Marvel has given him to just basically do whatever he wants and follow his own convolutions and obsessions and grinding wheels-within-wheels until they literally explode the universe.

It is spectacular to behold, though, especially when Esad Ribic is drawing it.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Great post @Elsiebub. Couldn't agree more. The depth and foundation laid by Hickman in setting this thing up over the last several years has been nothing short of masterful. That having been said, I too have to wonder how anyone could come into this thing cold and follow along. I was glad I invested into the story from the get go, because the payoff has been wonderful thus far.
  • Options
    I'm more disappointed that we're not exactly getting the story of the characters of the main Marvel Universe. The buildup to that is quite the swerve.
  • Options
    joewhite73joewhite73 Posts: 23
    I've read through #3 of Chrononauts and #2 of Past Aways. I'm loving them! Great picks.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    This was a great episode. Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Whoa! I'm really far behind in my listening. Congratulations to Pants on getting the Letterman final taping ticket(s?). I read March's selections awhile back so I'm relying on my admittedly unreliable memory to give my ratings.
    Pastaways #1: BORROW! I remember I was a bit intrigued by it, but it didn't impress me all that much.
    Chrononauts#1: I was more impressed with this one, so it's a buy. It felt like a movie. And maybe it will be one. In fact, I had ordered this one for 2 or 3 more months. Oh, Murd just mentioned the possible future movie aspects of the comic. And, oh, I did like the artwork. It's different from what I usually like, but it's quite attractive.
    Howard the Duck #1: Oh, this was a BORROW! for me. I somewhat liked it, but there wasn't enough in the first issue to make me want to read more. However, like all of the Geeks said, maybe I'll give it another read.
    April:
    Secret Wars #1: Eh, it was okay. I wish I could've BORROW(!)ed it. And unfortunately, I already ordered future issues. On the other hand, compared to Convergence, this was wonderful and I would like to see what happens (I must say #2 was interesting). What I didn't like were the VERY things Murd mentioned: the lack of a recap page (Even though I've followed the Hickman-written Avengers and New Avengers--I'm sure it's been LONGER than the year that Chris guessed), I still got a little lost. And the lack of characterization bothered me. I would've liked to hear/see/read what other characters were thinking other than the focus on Ultimate Reed, Fury, Hawkeye, etc. Murd's (and Marvel and everybody else) comparing it to Crisis seemed a bit off to me. As Chris said, this was planned and executed in comics than came out every month for over a year. Not that I especially like the story. In fact, I think it's been TOO long and drawn out. I think I've ALREADY spent too much money over a couple of years to make the end pay off.
    Uncanny Inhumans #0: BORROW: My big deal with this was why not get an entire issue of the Inhumans for $4.99? What the heck is that second story doing in there?
    Rebels#1: BUY! I was pretty excited after reading this comic. So excited that I was worried and wondered if I had ordered the subsequent issues. However, I checked and I did. I'm happy. Interesting that Shane mentioned possible educational applications. I had posted this comic as my Comic of the Month and a couple of my friends asked if it was okay for kids/teens to read. I replied that I felt that it was though there is the skinny dipping scene in Issue #2 (fortunately, no frontal nudity).

Pants!: Was there really THAT many hoops to jump through to get those tickets? Wow...
    Well, I'm glad you got them.