Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1565 Talkback - Previews

Previews time again! We go through the July catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in September. (1:17:26)

Listen here.

Comments

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    Happy to hear about them putting the Birds of Prey stuff back into print.

I own a TPB collecting those original miniseries and one-shots that was put out forever ago. Pretty sure I bought it at Wizard World Philly for $5.

I just really hope they plan on collecting the entire Birds of Prey this time, as opposed to jumping from issue 6 to issue 56, the beginning of Gail Simone's run, like they did the last time the book was collected.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2015
    DC has been putting out a nice string of trades covering things I missed. Ostrander's Spectre, Dixon's Nightwing, and now Birds of Prey.

Volume 2 of Marvel's new Deathlok series is solicited this month. In this humble reader's opinion it's one of Marvel's best books..but unfortunately one of their worst selling. Track down volume 1, preorder this and I promise you won't regret it.

Man-Thing by Gerber is another trade I'll be ordering. I've only read a smattering of these issues.

Tokyo Ghost from Image sounds and looks great. Maybe it's the bike but I get a strong Akira vibe.

The first Wild's End was a lot of fun and I'm glad the next one is starting up again.

I bought the first three Farlaine's and will be getting #4 as well. Fun book and it's always nice to have something I can hand my kids to read too.

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Never apologize for putting a Previews episode out early, guys. Christmas-In-July came early this year! \:D/
  • ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    Elk's Run -- BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY!!

I was introduced to this, when it was an online comic, through a Warren Ellis recommendation at his site, I believe. And I was not disappointed. It has mystery, drama, and great character moments that were incredibly moving. And it was one of the books I spotlighted in my Pulse column, "For Your Consideration," back when it was published as a book. Check that out here, if you want to learn more about the book (as my memory of the book's particulars has faded, though my recollection of being thoroughly enraptured with the book has not)

Joshua Hale Fialkov has written some of the best, and least-talked about, books of the past decade: Tumor, The Bunker, Echoes-all incredible stories. And Noel Tuazon's hauntingly expressive artwork has made him one of my current favorites, with his work on this and Tumor, along with Family Ties and The Broadcast, from NBM. You cannot--CANNOT--go wrong getting this book. (in my humble opinion).

-chris
  • hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I've never read much Cap save a few random issues and appearances in other books.
    So I didn't really know about Captain America: White- I thought that series had been completed. I liked DD Yellow- I'm in. Will be my first Cap book. Better late than never I guess. For me having #0 included is a plus and with the DCBS discount, very reasonable.
  • compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Having now listened to this 4 times (don't judge . . . maybe I was painting a bathroom and wanted quality background noise), I have come to the conclusion that this is going to be an expensive month :) Too many good things to keep getting, and too many new things that are far to inciting not to try.

Are many people going to give the new run of DD a go when it is solicited next month? I zeroed in on the Katie Cook Sex Criminals issue just like the Geeks, as well as the Star Wars Artifact Edition.
  • JDickJDick Posts: 206
    I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy JMS's Earth 1 Superman. I read the first 2 and I'm done. 2 was so bad. Superman is a petty, moping prick and no way an aspirational/inspirational figure. Not JMS's fault but the horrible Parasite design and heavily photo referenced art are a real downer too.

Batman Earth 1 was just OK for me as well. Johns story was nothing terribly special but the art was nice.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited August 2015
    Well, even though the Previews Ep was early (so early that I didn't even notice it was up), I still waited until the month was half over to listen to it. Still, my DCBS order was low compared to when I listen much later: Only about $70 compared to about $100 in January. For one thing, I'm getting fewer Marvel books now (that might change next month) since Marvel is 3.99 and DC is 2.99. I'm willing to risk trying a DC book more than any of those 3.99(plus) Secret Wars tie-ins. In addition, I'm almost to the point where the independents on my order are almost one-third (so, average is about 3.50 for independent comics?). On Captain America: White - eh, I was going to skip it even before Murd mentioned the reprint material. I wasn't all THAT impressed with (Loeb and Sale's?) previous work. I mean, I thought they were good stories, but they didn't "wow" me.
  • I know the DCBService order date is past but if you were on the fence about the OGN VIRGIL from Image Comics here is an interview I did for the Times Union blog here in Albany NY with Steve Orlando (now on Midnighter at DC Comics) about his book

Virgil