Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1566 Talkback - Spotlight on Daredevil in the 2000s

Our long, historical Highway to Hell's Kitchen ends in this episode, dedicated to the Daredevil comics of the past fifteen years. Discussed are some of the deepest, darkest lows and most hysterical highs of Matt Murdock's long and checkered crimefighting career, as seen in the comics work of David Mack, Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev, Ed Brubaker, Michael Lark, Andy Diggle, Mark Waid, Chris Samnee, and others; plus a few words about DD in other media. And don't miss a bonus 'post-credits' cameo from Drunk Cap!

Listen here!

Comments

• Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Let me add quickly that the original David Mack run on Daredevil is host to one of my most favorite panels of all time: Maya and Matt on a date, at the movies. Matt is listening, Maya is watching. Perfect.

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Whoa ... 3 hours of CGS goodness??
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Re: the Bendis run, I think it started out great. At the time, Daredevil was for my money the best title Marvel produced. But towards the end of his run things were getting... monotonous I guess is the best word to describe it. I feel like Bendis stayed on maybe a year too long. And as much as I like Brubaker’s work, his DD run just carried on that monotony. I was looking for a breath of fresh air, but instead the book became oppressively depressing. I dropped it about five issues into his run. I just couldn't take it anymore. I didn't come back until the Mark Waid/Paolo Rivera/Marcos Martin relaunch.

As for the artists during that period, Mack is a fantastic artist and does beautiful work, but I didn't think his sense of storytelling meshed well with Bendis’ David Mamet-obsessed approach to the writing. Their senses of pacing/timing didn't sync up very well. That said, I think it worked for the Echo story Mack wrote himself, as it fit well with that character and her story.

I was not a fan of what Maleev did on the book. Too often it looked like photographs run through a couple of Photoshop filters, and I just couldn't get into it. The draftsmanship was there, there just wasn't much life to it, and I think it fed into that monotony I was feeling toward the end of Bendis’ run.
  • Options
    Just finished the episode. Some thoughts:

1) Even if it will never be released due to how ill he was at the time, there's something about knowing that there is unreleased Jamie D content out there that makes me feel good. That as long as that's in the can, there's a little piece of him left in this world, outside of the hours of content we can listen to whenever we feel the itch to do so.

2) @wildpigcomics If you have not done so yet, make sure to watch the Honest Trailer for the Daredevil movie. It's pretty spot-on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjLK8pvEMw

3) Here's an excellent article on how exactly they pulled that one-shot fight scene off on the Daredevil Netflix series. The switching between Charlie Cox and stunt doubles was still some of the best I've ever seen.
    By his estimation, the stunt men ran through the five-minute shot somewhere between eight and 12 times, with each take featuring a sneaky switch in which Brewster replaces Cox and then switches back. Silvera, keen to protect trade secrets, won’t say when—but a close inspection of the scene’s several trips through doors and into side rooms will give you a good idea of how those switches went down.
    Job well done, gentlemen. You did Daredevil proud with these Spotlights, and I'm looking forward to Born Again when it rolls around!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The only time I found Moon Knight interesting was the great CGS "Is Moon Knight's costume silver or white?" debate.
  • Options
    Re: Waid's run on Daredevil—quite possibly the best work of his career. And when paired with Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, and Chris Samnee, three of my absolute favorites, it's about as good as superhero comics can get.

I know you guys were running low on time, but compared to some of the other things you talked about in detail in the episode, I think volumes 3 and 4 were given short shrift. For example, no one really talked about the opening pages of Daredevil vol. 3, #1, with DD taking down the Spot at the mob wedding, which I think it’s one of the best bits of comic book storytelling I've ever seen, and was the perfect way to introduce the new direction. Paolo's covers for volume 2 were mentioned, but no one talked about his amazing (and I think superior) covers for volume 3 for which he received an Eisner nomination for Best Cover Artist (which I think he should have won).

One other aspect of the Waid run I think should be stressed is the portrayal of how DD “sees” the world around him. The visual effects and sound effects designed by Paolo, Marcos Martin, and Chris (based off Mark’s ideas) have added a different level to the stories and have been a heck of a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Speaking of appearances in other media (and gratuitous use of CD-ROMs)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x23Y3En72Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkuvRo0l00A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDPNTqRgdg

There were also an appearance on the Fantastic Four animated series from the 90's as well. I won't link the YouTube here, since somebody sped the audio up and it's annoying as heck.

We also dodged two animated bullets, once in the 80's and once in the 90's. First, there was an attempt at a "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends" style series that would have aired on ABC:

Yup, Daredevil and his seeing-eye dog, Lightning. That's a thing. Mark Evanier wrote a treatment and everything, but apparently the project got canned after a Marvel executive said the wrong thing to an ABC exec. I wonder if it was, "Your momma's so blind, she needs Lightning the Super-Dog to help her cross the street!"

Finally, in 1999, we came pretty close to a "Daredevil: The Animated Series" in the vein and style of "Spider-Man: The Animated Series." But we can thank the production of the Daredevil movie for that not happening.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Slow golf clap, @wildpigcomics - Thanks for the outstanding work on these spotlights. Love 'em.. and these DD spotlights were long awaited episodes for me personally.

One thing I would be interested in hearing about maybe as a footnote added to the upcoming Born Again episode you're going to do- what about the 1980s TV show "Trial of the Incredible Hulk" which was I believe a one-off spinoff from the old Incredible Hulk TV show in which Daredevil and Kingpin appear? I've never actually seen it.. If memory serves from what I've heard of it, the special was supposed to prompt a DD TV show which never materialized.
  • Options

Re: Waid's run on Daredevil—quite possibly the best work of his career. And when paired with Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, and Chris Samnee, three of my absolute favorites, it's about as good as superhero comics can get.

I have enjoyed a lot of the Waid run (and how could you not after the year of Shadowland muck)... BUT I think there have been a good number of duds and missteps plotwise along the way. I personally am ready for it to end and I'm looking forward to seeing what the new team comes up with.

Without question Waid & his artists deserve tons of credit. The craft of those two volumes is fantastic and they fleshed out some minute details of DD's life as a blind man that other writers never considered, with really fascinating results. Those little moments were my favorite parts of the run, especially early on in it. After that great Spot issue in #1, I was less entertained by the monthly rackup of Silver Agers, and the Omega Drive crossover was pretty average.

Then Samnee came aboard and things got really good- the high point for me was the run up and immediate aftermath of the DD/Ikari battle where I think Waid was really firing on all cylinders. Paulo Rivera's visual representations of the radar sense, as drawn by Chris Samnee, have been really fantastic throughout.

But later in vol. 3 it became much more up and down for me. I thought the end of volume 3 was pretty disjointed plotwise. Vol. 4 started great in SF, dipped for the Original Sin tie-in, got great again with the Purple Man, and has dropped precipitously since.

The point where I really got worn out on it has been this odd autobiography arrangement and then Matt ditching his costume in V4, #14 and adding this red three piece suit as some sort of branding exercise for his upcoming autobiography. It just doesn't make any sense to me when given that justification.. and I don't see Matt waltzing flamboyantly into the courtroom as he did in that suit as being true to the Murdock character, regardless of whatever mental instability he may be careening towards. And of course here's Kingpin again to help him out of this jam. We've seen that one before- I trust there will be a new twist, Waid's good enough to give us one, but still.. I feel I've gone past my threshold of belief a bit in the current arc.

And yet this all happens while some really interesting challenges are being thrown DD's way. That pretty much sums up my feelings on the weak spots in Waid's run. There have been great ideas and great new perspectives on the Murdock world but there can be some cringeworthy character moments that don't ring true IMO.

But it's fine, all runs good, bad and indifferent do end.. For me this is still a good run, and a very important one historically with the new ideas introduced that I hope stick around with future teams. I just can't call it wall to wall great the way so many others have. Just my take.
  • Options

Re: the Bendis run, I think it started out great. At the time, Daredevil was for my money the best title Marvel produced. But towards the end of his run things were getting... monotonous I guess is the best word to describe it. I feel like Bendis stayed on maybe a year too long.

IMO there were a few arcs from Bendis that introduced interesting concepts but ultimately dragged a bit. Decalogue was one, the one where the original kingpin Alexander Bont looks for revenge too.. However Bendis ended on such a high note- the Murdock Papers was an incredible ending to that run. I loved Maleev's work on DD.. I'm going to grab the Lando mini that he's going to do with Soule, so I'll be interested to see his take on some "lighter fare".

The Bru arc in prison as well to me is a classic. I think that run was also great although it never got better than that first arc for me.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    When speaking about DD in other media, I was waiting for you superhero stalwarts to discuss his appearance with this feller:

Full disclosure: I know nothing about this episode of The Incredible Hulk.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited July 2015
    Overjoyed to see this episode in the feed. And THREE HOURS!!! YESSSS!!!!!

Thoughts so far (I'm at the 33-minute mark):

Delineating Bendis's work into different categories and "periods" is a fun practice. In general, I don't like Bendis's writing when he's trying to be cute and light-hearted... but then again a lot of early Ultimate Spider-Man is fairly light-hearted and I absolutely would recommend the first 60 or so issues of USM as VERY good stuff.

For me it just mostly falls into chronological periods. I think early- to mid-'00s Bendis is usually great, with much of it being outright excellent. His Daredevil run is top of the stack for me. It did get a bit monotonous toward the end, but even so, I might even rank it above Miller's work overall. Of course, it is very much indebted to Miller's work, even in tone, and could not exist without it, but still... while reading it for the first time I remember getting to the point where I realized "Okay, at some point very good quantity has to trimuph over slightly-better quality. On a per-issue basis, Frank Miller is the best Daredevil writer, but Bendis's run is just so much longer. There are individual Miller DD issues (and storylines) that Bendis cannot match, but overall I like the Bendis run better."

I did think that toward the end of his DD run Bendis was becoming a little too "chatty", but that was how he was getting in all his books at the midway point of the decade. Yes, he was a wordy writer before, but until 2004 or so it rarely felt as if his conversations just went nowhere. Then it started to feel like he was just spinning his wheels, and running his characters' mouths, in order to fill pages, and issues, and storylines, of... fluff. I didn't like much of anything he did after 2005, until the last couple years with All-New X-Men and the Miles Morales USM stuff.

Maleev and Mack are both great artists and I enjoyed their DD work. Such excellent and fitting work for the Man Without Fear, invoking noir and the best of Sienkiewicz respectively. They both did a great job.

The first few storyarcs of the Brubaker run were as good as anything Bendis did, but then things slowly got dull imo. Brubaker did a great job with Matt in prison and then with Matt in foreign locales (such a refreshing change of scenery). But after that, once he got back in the grind of Hell's Kitchen... It was never bad -- not even close -- but the run started out with so much more promise.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

When speaking about DD in other media, I was waiting for you superhero stalwarts to discuss his appearance with this feller:

I saw it when it originally aired. It was about as silly as you would expect. And John Rhys-Davies did not make for an imposing Kingpin. I liked the Hulk/Thor movie better. It was even sillier, but to the point you could enjoy it for being completely ridiculous.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

Vol. 4 started great in SF, dipped for the Original Sin tie-in, got great again with the Purple Man, and has dropped precipitously since.

I am behind in my reading and have only read up through the Purple Man story, so I can neither agree or disagree. I am confident I will at least enjoy it for the artwork though. Chris has never let me down.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

fredzilla said:

I saw it when it originally aired. It was about as silly as you would expect. And John Rhys-Davies did not make for an imposing Kingpin. I liked the Hulk/Thor movie better. It was even sillier, but to the point you could enjoy it for being completely ridiculous.
    If CGS ever bestows an Honorary Geek title to anyone, you deserve it first (behind maybe, Drunk Cap. Seriously, how awesome is that guy? Happy belated birthday, sir!)

Was DD's costume in that episode of The Incredible Hulk the impetus for his costume in The Man Without Fear mini? As silly as it looks in the picture, if you've read TMWF or seen the Netflix show, it can and does work. It also doesn't look as silly now as it did the first time I saw it.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    One hour down, two to go! So much information in this one. Wow!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited July 2015
    chi·a·ro·scu·ro
    kēˌärəˈsk(y)o͝orō,kēˌarə
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    rebis said:

chi·a·ro·scu·ro
    kēˌärəˈsk(y)o͝orō,kēˌarə

Language!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I think most of us have that character or team that we try to get into but just end up dropping over and over. For me that book is DD.

I skipped the entire Bendis run but bought the last issue in anticipation of Brubaker taking over. I was loving what he was doing on Captain America and thought if anyone could turn me on to DD it would be him. It started off strong. I thought the whole prison storyline was fantastic. An interesting thing about the Punisher is that he got himself arrested on purpose just so he could be thrown in with Matt and everyone else. Once we get to Mr. Fear I start to lose interest. In fact I found the book depressing. It was like trying to find entertainment in a car accident as you watch people in pain. I dropped the book until..

Waid took over and it was a nice change from the depressing Brubaker run. Despite enjoying it the book just finally faded from my pull list.

I'll give Soule a chance when the book relaunches.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Waid was the person who finally brought me back to DD after nearly a couple of decades of skipping over the title. He brought a sense of fun back to the character and managed to weave all of the previous incarnations together, bringing back some of the flavor of the original Stan Lee & Wally Wood days, but not ignoring the later Miller, Bendis or Brubaker aspects. I love the Waid run, and only dropped it reluctantly when finances got too tight for me to continue with it.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited July 2015
    Waid was a perfect change of pace for the character. Even if the unfortunate Diggle/Shadowland debacle had not happened, I think that Waid's take was just what the property needed.

That said, I think the Waid run has been uneven. It's never been "bad", but I do think that the first year or so is clearly head and shoulders above the last 40-some issues. Basically, when Marcos Martin and Paolo Rivera were alternating as artists, Daredevil was clearly the best Marvel title by a longshot and we were getting legitimately innovative "instant classic" storytelling. Those two artists seemed to bring out the best in Waid, or maybe Waid was just giving it his all on the character or whatever. Because, for whatever reason--no disrespect to Chris Samnee, or Waid himself--but everything since then clearly seems a step or two below the standard said by Waid, Martin and Rivera when Vol. 3 started.

I think it's been a fairly solid title since then, and I hate to always have to argue the negative when it comes up, but I think Waid's DD is still a far cry from Bendis's, Brubaker's, or Miller's. Not even close. The emotional depth is not there, despite a lot of situations (Foggy's cancer, for one) that to me seem to be written, well, "adequately" but nothing more. In terms of love interests, Miller did infinitely more in a half-dozen early Elektra appearances than Waid's been able to do in four years of Kirsten McDuffie. And I like McDuffie, but she's not as interesting or meaningful as Milla was either. The villains of Waid's run, likewise, fall short and seem a case of diminishing returns: i.e., I've been pleased with how he's used everyone from the Owl, to Kingpin, to Bullseye, etc., but it isn't as if his use of these characters is anywhere near as good as two or three prior writers' use. And his original villains like the Coyote were fine, but nothing classic either. The Sons of the Snake stuff dragged on forever and was not interesting. At best I'm reduced to saying that the use of the Spot was the most noteworthy. And none of the storylines were as memorable, or had as memorable moments, as what Bendis and Miller did. (I guess in terms of storylines and "moments" Waid might equal or surpass Brubaker, but personally I think Brubaker was and is a much better scripter and dialogue-writer than Waid. And I do like Samnee, but Samnee's no Michael Lark.)

Still, to say that Waid's tenure is "only" the fourth-best Daredevil run speaks to the greatness of the character and his writers over the years.

I'm 2/3s of the way through the episode. Loving everything minute, and I appreciate all the work you guys put into it. Especially Chris.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I agree with @Elsiebub. I bought that first volume of the Waid run on Comixology for $29. Great deal for 37 issues at the time. I am glad I did because I felft it was uneven too. The Sons of the Snakes was meh. The use of the Monster Squad wasn't great. I give the whole run about a B-. I haven't thought about reading it again. But for less than $1 an issue I can't complain about the price. The first 10 or so issues were good.
  • Options
    @Elsiebub nailed what I've been feeling regarding a lack memorable moments, Matt's love interest, the lack of emotional depth in developments such as Foggy's cancer, and pretty forgettable villains (with some notable exceptions).

I do love Samnee's work. For me it was a marked improvement over Rivera & Martin, who introduced a lot of interesting visual ideas.

We'll see what the last 2 issues hold.. Like I said, no doubt it's a historically significant run and I hope the team ends on a high point.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Bendis absolutely wrote some highlight reel memorable moments, and yes, there was plenty of emotional depth to go around, but how much of that was a result of his super-decompressed writing style? It's a lot easier to write emotional depth into your story when you have five sequential pages of talking heads. I really like Milla as a love interest, but she probably had more dialogue in one Bendis story arc than McDuffie has had throughout Waid's entire run—we got to know Milla on a much more intimate level.

And after talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, and more talking, when something finally happens, BOOM!, it makes that much more of an impact. It becomes that much more memorable.

That’s not to take away from Bendis’ run. I thought it was great for a while, but like I said earlier, it became a bit tedious for me. There just haven't been that many well written, well drawn, fun, fast-paced (relatively speaking) superhero comics out there for some time (though, thankfully, that seems to be changing at least a little) and that's a big part of my attraction to Waid’s run on the book.
  • Options
    gingpogingpo Posts: 21
    I was going to say how I didn't remember the Daredevil movie being that horrible... and then I saw that Honest Trailer.... sigh.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Looking forward to listening. So much so that I listened to most of the intro and since it got late I went home and read some of the early issues of Mack, Gale, and Bendis' run on Daredevil. The Mack and Gale stuff was okay. With Mack I just kinda liked the “artsy-ness” of it. Bendis? I don't know, like with most writers sometimes he's "on" and sometimes he's "off" and sometimes there's just some "so-so" stuff. I consider his, and later Brubaker's run pretty much so-so. Wordy, slow, depressing, no action, but things did happen in the end. So, I give him credit for creating dramatic tension, but over such a long period of time, was it worth it? I didn't think so. Especially when he was spending a whole page with a character telling a joke or an anecdote about something that ends up being completely unrelated to the story. As a result, most of my collecting of DD during this time was sporadic. I'd read a few issues consecutively, then get bored cuz not enough was happening for a 2.99 comic, in my opinion. I had been reading a lot of Bendis’ other stuff before Daredevil so it’s not like I wasn’t familiar with his style: (Sam and Twitch (not bad), Powers (pretty good), Daredevil Ninja (That was REALLY bad!), Ultimate Spider-man (pretty good), and Alias (not really worth the individual issues, but the trade might be worth it). I just hate the decompression where I'm paying 2.99 to get one-sixth(or less) of a story. Bendis' writing style fit in perfectly with the "create for the trade" style which was beginning to pick up around this time. I thought Brubaker just sort of carried on in Bendis’ wake. Not as uneventful as his Uncanny X-Men run, but as another listener said “depressing.” My recollection of after-Brubaker is rather hazy. I vaguely remember issue 500 being good. The Waid stuff has been up and down for me also. It started out strong with the focus on DD being out in the daylight sometimes and actually doing stuff with his powers, but then settled into decompressed mediocrity. Since the move to San Francisco, it’s been somewhat interesting –bringing back some of the 'oldie but goodie' villains and characters – but I sorta feel like Waid’s been treading water a bit. The movie? Well, it was entertaining even with the ridiculousness of some of the scenes. The most ridiculous to me was DD fighting Elektra in the park in front of a bunch of kids. C’mon! I thought Bullseye was quite funny, but as you guys said, perhaps “camp” was not the way to go with this movie. The Netflix TV show? Yeah, I can’t doubt the quality of it, but I just think it’s overly violent. And I do like that many of the old characters are making an appearance. Well, to be honest, I’m really enjoying the Karen Page actress’s performance (Deborah Ann Woll). To me, she’s like a Gene Colan drawing come to life!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Just diving into this episode gentlemen. I am of the same ilk as @Adam_Murdough for this era, so I expect to be schooled in the most modern era of the Man Without Fear from Professor Eberle.

My first introduction to Daredevil was way back in 1978 with a Ron Wilson penciled Marvel Two-In-One (#38) where Matt Murdock was trying to get Ben Grimm out of some convoluted jam where he'd been framed, but believed he was guilty. While the story was forgetful to my pre-teen self, I was hooked. I would frequently draw my latest favorite comic characters, usually referring to the masthead's floating heads in the upper left corner of the covers, and Daredevil was no different. I remember being struck by just how much black shadow was regularly a part of DD's outfit, and especially his face.

As I said, I am just diving in, but I suspect the failed 70's attempt to bring Hornhead to the small screen was not mentioned. Probably the less said about it the better, eh @wildpigcomics ?

Thanks for putting these Spotlights our gentlemen. I'll be working through this gem over the next couple of days.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Great episode gentlemen. Thank you @wildpigcomics Chris Eberle. You did ol' Hornhead right.

Quote of the episode:

"Sell me your electric guitars, ya dope fiends!" Drunk Cap
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The Bendis-Maleev DD run is my favorite superhero comics ever. I jumped back into comics in 2004, which was a very good year to do something like that, and Bendis' DD was among the best of the best stuff being produced.