Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

ROM - 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2015

I'm sure that IDW can't reprint Micronuats or ROM, as they both prominently feature a LOT of Marvel characters. Micronauts will also only be able to to feature the characters from the toys, since about half of the team were Marvel creations (Marionette, Bug, Commander Rann...)

I think Cory is correct in that there will be no reprinting of the Marvel works. However, I am a bit puzzled regarding the new deal at IDW. Some details have been coming from IDW that their new ROM series will feature what I thought was a Marvel creation, the Dire Wraiths.

A new ROM toy line is supposedly coming out, a new ROM comic series is coming out, director James Gunn has said he wants ROM in the next GotG2, and IDW is using Marvel created villains in their upcoming comic series.

Could IDW have secured the printing rights, Hasbro kept the merch rights, and Marvel have the cinematic rights? Pure speculation, and very unlikely, but I'm still quite curious about the Dire Wraiths part of the deal since they were purely a creation of Bill Mantlo while at Marvel.

And would Hasbro release new toys for a mere IDW series? Maybe.
  • Options

I'm sure that IDW can't reprint Micronuats or ROM, as they both prominently feature a LOT of Marvel characters. Micronauts will also only be able to to feature the characters from the toys, since about half of the team were Marvel creations (Marionette, Bug, Commander Rann...)

I think Cory is correct in that there will be no reprinting of the Marvel works. However, I am a bit puzzled regarding the new deal at IDW. Some details have been coming from IDW that their new ROM series will feature what I thought was a Marvel creation, the Dire Wraiths.

A new ROM toy line is supposedly coming out, a new ROM comic series is coming out, director James Gunn has said he wants ROM in the next GotG2, and IDW is using Marvel created villains in their upcoming comic series.

Could IDW have secured the printing rights, Hasbro kept the merch rights, and Marvel have the cinematic rights? Pure speculation, and very unlikely, but I'm still quite curious about the Dire Wraiths part of the deal since they were purely a creation of Bill Mantlo while at Marvel.

And would Hasbro release new toys for a mere IDW series? Maybe.
    Hasbro wouldn't release new toy for a mere IDW series, but IDW would use a new Hasbro toy line as a good reason to release a new comic series. Hasbro could very well have licensed or bought outright the rights to the Dire Wraiths and facilitated the deal so that IDW could use them. After all, every toy line needs a bad guy, and why not use one ready-made that has some history and built-in fan appeal?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I don't know my interest in a Rom series absent the Marvel universe. His appeal to me was the interaction with the 80's Marvel characters. The issues with no Marvel characters seemed few and far between. While he surely was a great hero independent of the interaction I dont see anything differentiating him from 100 other titles out there.
  • Options

Hasbro wouldn't release new toy for a mere IDW series, but IDW would use a new Hasbro toy line as a good reason to release a new comic series. Hasbro could very well have licensed or bought outright the rights to the Dire Wraiths and facilitated the deal so that IDW could use them. After all, every toy line needs a bad guy, and why not use one ready-made that has some history and built-in fan appeal?

RepoMan said:
    Hasbro licensing the Dire Wraiths from Marvel definitely makes some sense, they re-upped the ROM trademark a few years ago, so these plans have been cooking for several years. As for what came first, the IDW series or the toy line, I'd be surprised if this is a case of the tail wagging the dog you've described. As @RepoMan linked earlier, IDW's Chris Ryall has been trying to license ROM for a very long time. So I'm skeptical that the toy line is what prompted IDW to license the character for the series. Now if Hasbro held off on closing the deal until they worked out licensing the Dire Wraiths from Marvel, then that could open up all kinds of possibilities.

It's fun to speculate, so if the following three things come out of this, I'll be blissfully happy:

1) Bill Mantlo gets some much deserved honor, credit, and compensation in this deal
    2) The IDW series for both Micronauts and ROM are uncharacteristically good
    3) There's been a deal which allows Marvel to do a one-time reprint of both properties, similar to the deal made with Master of Kung Fu

(In my opinion, these have been listed in the order of probability.)

• Options
    Are we sure the Dire Wraiths are purely a Marvel creation from Mantlo as work for hire. They are specifically mentioned in the commercial from 1979. Perhaps Parker Bros had the name but no idea beyond that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw
  • Options

Are we sure the Dire Wraiths are purely a Marvel creation from Mantlo as work for hire. They are specifically mentioned in the commercial from 1979. Perhaps Parker Bros had the name but no idea beyond that?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktFvrEQKdjw

Parker Brothers may have come up with the name, but Marvel Characters, Inc. owns the trademark on the Dire Wraiths and the Spaceknights. The only thing Hasbro owns is Rom, his visual look, and his accessories.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm looking forward to this. Big time.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I still need to read the original series. @bralinator I'll PM you my address so you can lend me your collection...ok?? ;)
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I still need to read the original series. @bralinator I'll PM you my address so you can lend me your collection...ok?? ;)

What!?!? You haven't read ROM... and your name is "Mr_Cosmic"!?!?
    Better hit those dollar bins ASAP! You've got some homework to catch up on.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2015
    Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I agree! My nearest comic shop is over an hour away and the con closest to me is four hours away. Needless to say I don't get a lot of bin diving opportunities. I look online but the whole run is usually pretty spendy...especially with shipping. I'd give my left nut for an omnibus...

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

I agree! My nearest comic shop is over an hour away and the con closest to me is four hours away. Needless to say I don't get a lot of bin diving opportunities. I look online but the whole run is usually pretty spendy...especially with shipping. I'd give my left nut for an omnibus...

Just look for the first 25 issues. Here's a reasonably priced eBay auction that will net you a 1/3 of that and includes issues 1-3.

I'd love to see an omnibus too, or any collection of it.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Hex said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Although I haven't read those issues in years, ROM was a highlight of 80s Marvel for me. I specifically remember seeing the house advertisements months in advance, and was so excited to finally grab the first issue off the spinner-rack.
    As unlikely as is appears, a ROM omnibus would be super sweet.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I've tracked down about 35 issues of the run via dollar bins. I have a lot of the early issues going as far back as #3 and I do also have the finale. Would love to be able to read them all the way through. Reading 3-9 was enough to get me hooked but I've held out hope to get more of it before I tackle everything I have, just to get as much of the full story as I can.

I check the bins all the time for ROM when I'm in stores- unfortunately I've seen one of my local shops start marking up what they have of the series which is a bummer.

Would love to see a ROMnibus, doubtful as it may be- I'd definitely be in for that if it were to ever happen.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

ROMnibus

nicely done.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I never read the original series either but I've started collecting it thanks to @wildpigcomics
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    jaydee74 said:

I never read the original series either but I've started collecting it thanks to @wildpigcomics

The fine gentlemen at @wildpigcomics just helped me complete my run. Chris and Bill are fantastic!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've get back to finishing my run. Haven't picked up any issues in about two years.
  • Options
    Will ROM appear in the next Transformers movie? The question has been asked...
  • Options

Will ROM appear in the next Transformers movie? The question has been asked...

ROM would make me watch a Transformers film.
    without hesitation.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Read the FCBD issue. I think that I was satisfied with it, though the pricepoint helped. The art was OK, though a little inconsistent and I'm not sure how I feel about some of the updates like the energy analyzer wrist-eyes. I'm going to give it a reasonable try, but deep down, I'm already recognizing that the story is going to have to be incredible and the art improve significantly for me to not have some buyer's remorse from the $4.99 cover price.