Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ash vs the Evil Dead

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Groovy. And even groovier, I have Starz.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Halloween party at Eric's!!!

Seriously, would appreciate your review.
  • Options
    Hail to the king baby!
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I am going to love this. I repeat: I am going to love this. Once again, I am going to love this.
  • Options
    Who's watching this weekend?

Starz has released the first four minutes of “Ash vs. Evil Dead.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOQa0btC_Do
  • Options
    I'm all in on it- I'll refrain from watching the first 4 minutes however until I can see the whole episode. As with Star Wars, this is a layup for me- I don't need to be teased.

(As an aside, I actually have yet to watch a single Star Wars trailer and don't want to either, until I see the film.)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I'll be on the road, so I won't be able to watch this weekend. But I'm going to record it to watch when I get back.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm highly interested, but I'm not getting a paid channel to watch just 1 show. When it's available on another format, I'll tune in.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've never seen the movies. I guess I should catch up.
  • Options
    It rocked. If you enjoyed Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness, this show's for you.
  • Options

It rocked. If you enjoyed Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness, this show's for you.

Agreed. It was 45 minutes of me either giggling in anticipation or howling at a one-liner. All the great Raimi touches were there and it was glorious.

While it was thrilling to see the twist of on older Ash and the return of the ridiculous humor that I love in this franchise, if I had one small criticism, it would be that I hope the show finds a way to meld something new with the things that made previous Evil Dead films great.. But I have faith that it can. Does a pilot episode NEED to do that to keep me interested? Absolutely not. But I hope we eventually get that.
  • Options
    I got to hear a press call with Bruce Campbell who explained that there will be a character arc for Ash and he hinted at a lot of things that intrigued me.

He also revealed that they can't use anything from Army of Darkness because they didn't get the rights to that. I'd like to know more about that deal.
  • Options

I got to hear a press call with Bruce Campbell who explained that there will be a character arc for Ash and he hinted at a lot of things that intrigued me.

He also revealed that they can't use anything from Army of Darkness because they didn't get the rights to that. I'd like to know more about that deal.

Every Evil Dead movie was distributed by a different studio. Universal holds Army of Darkness, and they probably wanted too much for the material. I imagine AoD does pretty well for them merchandise and licensing-wise even now, and will probably benefit from the show whether or not they get involved.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

That explains why it's ValueMart instead of S-Mart. Also why the origin montage only included ED & ED2.

M
  • Options

He also revealed that they can't use anything from Army of Darkness because they didn't get the rights to that. I'd like to know more about that deal

Every Evil Dead movie was distributed by a different studio. Universal holds Army of Darkness, and they probably wanted too much for the material. I imagine AoD does pretty well for them merchandise and licensing-wise even now, and will probably benefit from the show whether or not they get involved.
    That makes sense. Also very convenient that AoD was structured in a way that makes it unnecessary to move on to this series.
    Matt said:

That explains why it's ValueMart instead of S-Mart. Also why the origin montage only included ED & ED2.

M

Exactly.

Glad you were able to watch without subscribing to Starz, Matt.
  • Options
    I need to watch those movies before getting into this one!
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I need to watch those movies before getting into this one!

You could probably get away with simply watching Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987) and then move to the Starz series. The first Evil Dead(1981) was a stylishly gritty, low-budget horror flick and this sequel is really just a slicker take on the material, except with a much more pronounced comedic tone that carries through to “Ash vs. Evil Dead.” It retells the first film with more gusto.

The setup is similar, only it begins with Ash and his girlfriend heading to the cabin. The monstrous forces unleashed by the Necronomicon, the book of the dead at the center of the franchise, attack the couple. Eventually, Ash loses his hand, which he famously replaces with a chainsaw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPOYmHqWeJE

As for the 3rd film,“Army of Darkness” (1992), it is more of an adventure-comedy entry, beyond the cabin in the woods. We learn more about Ash – he works at a discount retailer called S-Mart – and we follow him through a time portal to the 1300s, where he leads the people of that time against the evil Deadite forces, including an evil version of himself. None of this material is canon to the Starz series as they couldn't get the rights to any of it from Universal. This is why Ash doesn't work at the same store in the series as he did in this movie. The car is still the same though... Don't get me wrong, Army of Darkness is great, but if you want to jump on the Starz show, it isn't a prerequisite, in my opinion. A great picture to see if you like the show, however.

As for the 2013 remake, skip it for now. I hear it's good, but completely unrelated to this show. Totally went horror and no Ash (in a meaningful way), though Raimi and Campbell produced this film.

He also revealed that they can't use anything from Army of Darkness because they didn't get the rights to that. I'd like to know more about that deal

That makes sense. Also very convenient that AoD was structured in a way that makes it unnecessary to move on to this series.
    Matt said:

M

Exactly.

Glad you were able to watch without subscribing to Starz, Matt.
    Turns out anyone can watch the first episode for free, legally, here: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/11/03/watch-ash-vs-evil-deads-first-episode-online-legally-right-now

• Options
    Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    This series on Starz was VERY entertaining, although the didn't quite stick the landing on the finale. Obviously because they had been renewed for a 2nd season, but it was a joyous ride.

It was just announced today that Six Million Dollar Man and The Fall Guy star Lee Majors and Ted Raimi will join the cast for the 2nd season of Ash vs The Evil Dead.
  • Options
    Season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead comes out on DVD and Blu-ray next month. Now, Starz has premiered a new red-band trailer for Season 2 of the series.The trailer was reportedly considered “too gory” to be shown at this week’s San Diego Comic-Con , but you can watch it here below

Trigger Warning: very gory in the second half. It also uses the Motorhead classic “Ace Of Spades.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzeJTAwqEJ4
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    YES YES YES YES YES!