Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

IGN's 25 Best Comic Runs of the Decade

IGN.com recently listed their top 25 runs of the decade.
Before we begin, some criteria: these runs are limited to company-owned superhero characters. There's no creator-owned work here, so you won't find things like Ex Machina, Invincible, or Irredeemable. The runs in question also have to have been handled predominately after April 2002; it could have started before then, but a majority of the run must fall in the last decade. Let's get to it!
(click the link above for their thoughts on each run)

25. Wonder Woman (Gail Simone & Aaron Lopresti) (Wonder Woman Vol. 3 #14-44, #600)

24. Fantastic Four (Mark Waid & Mike Wieringo) (Fantastic Four Vol. 2 #60-70, #500-524)

23. Teen Titans (Geoff Johns) (Teen Titans Vol. 3 #1-45)

22. Catwoman (Ed Brubaker) (Catwoman Vol. 3 #1-37)

21. Fantastic Four/FF (Jonathan Hickman) (Fantastic Four #570-current, FF #1-current)

20. Marvel Cosmic (Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning)
(Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Nova Vol. 4 #1-35, Annihilation: Conquest #1-6, The Thanos Imperative #1-6 & Devastation/Ignition One-Shots, Annihilators #1-4, Annihilators: Earthfall #1-4)

19. Jonah Hex (Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray) (Jonah Hex Vol.2 #1-70)

18. Birds of Prey (Gail Simone) (Birds of Prey Vol. 1 #56-90, #92-108, Vol. 2 #1-13)

17. Witchblade (Ron Marz) (Witchblade #80-150, Artifacts #1-current)

16. The Avengers (Brian Bendis)
(Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503, Avengers Finale, New Avengers Vol. 1 #1-64, Annual #1-2, New Avengers Finale, Mighty Avengers #1-20, Dark Avengers #1-6, #9-16, Annual #1, The Avengers Vol. 4 #1-Present, Annual #1, The New Avengers Vol. 2 #1-Present, Annual #1, Avengers Prime #1-5, Avengers Assemble #1-Present)

15. The Punisher (Garth Ennis) (The Punisher Vol. 5 #1-37, Punisher MAX #1-60, Punisher: War Zone #1-6)

14. Batgirl (Bryan Q. Miller) (Batgirl Vol. 3 #1-24, Bruce Wayne - The Road Home: Batgirl)

13. Detective Comics (Scott Snyder, Jock, Francesco Francavilla) (Detective Comics Vol. 1 #871-881)

12. The Incredible Hulk (Greg Pak)
(The Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 #92-111, #601-611, The Incredible Hercules (w/ Fred Van Lente) #112-141,The Incredible Hulks #612-635, World War Hulk #1-5, Skaar: Son of Hulk #1-12)

11. X-Factor (Peter David)( Madrox #1-5, X-Factor Vol. 3 #1-50, #200-current, X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead #1)

10. Immortal Iron Fist (Matt Fraction & Ed Brubaker)
(Immortal Iron First #1-16, Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Death #1, Immortal Iron Fist: The Origin of Danny Rand #1)

9. Runaways (Brian K. Vaughan & Adrian Alphona) (Runaways Vol. 1 #1-18, Vol. 2 #1-24)

8. Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Bendis) (Ultimate Spider-Man #1-160, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1-current)

7. Gotham Central (Ed Brubaker & Greg Rucka) (Gotham Central #1-40)

6. The Invincible Iron Man (Matt Fraction & Salvador Larroca)
(The Invincible Iron Man #1-33, #500-current, Annual #1, FCBD 2010: Iron Man/Thor, Fear Itself #7.2)

5. Green Lantern (Geoff Johns)
(Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Vol. 4 #1-67, Vol. 5 #1-current, Blackest Night #1-8, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #1-6, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special, Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special)

4. Secret Six (Gail Simone)
(Villains United #1-6, Infinite Crisis Special: Villains United #1, Secret Six Vol. 2 #1-6, Secret Six Vol. 3 #1-36)

3. Captain America (Ed Brubaker)
(Captain America Vol. 5 #1-50, #600-619, Vol. 6 #1-current, Captain America: Reborn #1-6, Winter Soldier #1-current, Captain America and Bucky #620-628, Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield?, Winter Solider: Winter Kills)

2. Daredevil (Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev) (Daredevil Vol. 2 #26-81)

1. Batman (Grant Morrison)
(Batman Vol. 1 #655-658, #663-683, #700-702, Batman and Robin Vol. 1 #1-16, Batman: The Return, Batman Inc Vol. 1 #1-8, Leviathan Strikes!, Final Crisis, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, Batman Inc. Vol. 2 (coming in May)

Thoughts?
What is missing? What shouldn't be there? What is your list?

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Lot of great work is accounted for. But...

Off the top of my head, the first thing I would do is trade out Criminal for Gotham Central (though Gotham Central is great).

I think Walking Dead is a strange omission.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Awesome to see Bryan Q. Miller's Batgirl run on the list at all. Seeing it as high up as it is is even better still. I still consider that book
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    The 5 that I agree with:

5.Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Bendis) at least in the Peter Parker era
    4. Fantastic Four/FF (Jonathan Hickman) (Fantastic Four #570-current, FF #1-current)
    3. Jonah Hex (Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray) (Jonah Hex Vol.2 #1-70)
    2. Captain America (Ed Brubaker)
    1. Daredevil (Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev) (Daredevil Vol. 2 #26-81)

The one not on the list but needs to be
    Action Comics/Superman Geoff Johns w/ Kurt Busiek (on the 1st arc then solo afterwards) from From Up Up & Away to Superman Last Son arc

Overall a good list while I am not a Morrison Batman fan but I do realize everyone has different tastes in comics.

Matthew
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Gah, won't let me edit my post on my iPhone. Anyway, I still consider the end of Miller's Batgirl to be one of the biggest casualties of the new 52 relaunch.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I'm thinking Walking Dead isn't there because this isn't including creator owned comics. Referring to a "run" on a book takes a different connotation when it's a book you own and nobody else is doing it. Same with Criminal for that matter.
  • Options
    I'm thinking Walking Dead isn't there because this isn't including creator owned comics. Referring to a "run" on a book takes a different connotation when it's a book you own and nobody else is doing it. Same with Criminal for that matter.
    Ah. Got it. That does make this list make a lot more sense now.
  • Options
    steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited April 2012
    Walking Dead, Fables, Invincible, Hellboy, B.P.R.D., Criminal, and Y: The Last Man all should be on that list..

KyleMoyer: "I'm thinking Walking Dead isn't there because this isn't including creator owned comics. Referring to a "run" on a book takes a different connotation when it's a book you own and nobody else is doing it. Same with Criminal for that matter."

Seems like an arbitrary designation. Bearing that in mind, all of the books I listed, with the exception of Criminal, featured changes in their art teams. So the Kirkman/Ottley run on Invincible should be on there, as should the Kirkman/Adlard run on Walking Dead, as should the Willingham/Buckingham run on Fables, etc.

Hell, Guy Davis and John Arcudi don't own B.P.R.D. at all—why are they omitted.

It's just another stupid Big 2-centric list. :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2012
    From the article:
    Before we begin, some criteria: these runs are limited to company-owned superhero characters. There's no creator-owned work here, so you won't find things like Ex Machina, Invincible, or Irredeemable. The runs in question also have to have been handled predominately after April 2002; it could have started before then, but a majority of the run must fall in the last decade. Let's get to it!
    Sorry, I should have pointed this out in my first post.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

25. Wonder Woman (Gail Simone & Aaron Lopresti) (Wonder Woman Vol. 3 #14-44, #600)

24. Fantastic Four (Mark Waid & Mike Wieringo) (Fantastic Four Vol. 2 #60-70, #500-524)

23. Teen Titans (Geoff Johns) (Teen Titans Vol. 3 #1-45)

21. Fantastic Four/FF (Jonathan Hickman) (Fantastic Four #570-current, FF #1-current)

20. Marvel Cosmic (Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning)
    (Annihilation: Nova #1-4, Nova Vol. 4 #1-35, Annihilation: Conquest #1-6, The Thanos Imperative #1-6 & Devastation/Ignition One-Shots, Annihilators #1-4, Annihilators: Earthfall #1-4)

19. Jonah Hex (Jimmy Palmiotti & Justin Gray) (Jonah Hex Vol.2 #1-70)

16. The Avengers (Brian Bendis)
    (Avengers Vol. 1 #500-503, Avengers Finale, New Avengers Vol. 1 #1-64, Annual #1-2, New Avengers Finale, Mighty Avengers #1-20, Dark Avengers #1-6, #9-16, Annual #1, The Avengers Vol. 4 #1-Present, Annual #1, The New Avengers Vol. 2 #1-Present, Annual #1, Avengers Prime #1-5, Avengers Assemble #1-Present)

14. Batgirl (Bryan Q. Miller) (Batgirl Vol. 3 #1-24, Bruce Wayne - The Road Home: Batgirl)

13. Detective Comics (Scott Snyder, Jock, Francesco Francavilla) (Detective Comics Vol. 1 #871-881)

12. The Incredible Hulk (Greg Pak)
    (The Incredible Hulk Vol. 3 #92-111, #601-611, The Incredible Hercules (w/ Fred Van Lente) #112-141,The Incredible Hulks #612-635, World War Hulk #1-5, Skaar: Son of Hulk #1-12)

11. X-Factor (Peter David)( Madrox #1-5, X-Factor Vol. 3 #1-50, #200-current, X-Factor: The Quick and the Dead #1)

9. Runaways (Brian K. Vaughan & Adrian Alphona) (Runaways Vol. 1 #1-18, Vol. 2 #1-24)

8. Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Bendis) (Ultimate Spider-Man #1-160, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1-current)

6. The Invincible Iron Man (Matt Fraction & Salvador Larroca)
    (The Invincible Iron Man #1-33, #500-current, Annual #1, FCBD 2010: Iron Man/Thor, Fear Itself #7.2)

5. Green Lantern (Geoff Johns)
    (Green Lantern: Rebirth #1-6, Green Lantern Vol. 4 #1-67, Vol. 5 #1-current, Blackest Night #1-8, Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #1-6, Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special, Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special)

4. Secret Six (Gail Simone)
    (Villains United #1-6, Infinite Crisis Special: Villains United #1, Secret Six Vol. 2 #1-6, Secret Six Vol. 3 #1-36)

3. Captain America (Ed Brubaker)
    (Captain America Vol. 5 #1-50, #600-619, Vol. 6 #1-current, Captain America: Reborn #1-6, Winter Soldier #1-current, Captain America and Bucky #620-628, Captain America: Who Will Wield the Shield?, Winter Solider: Winter Kills)

1. Batman (Grant Morrison)
    (Batman Vol. 1 #655-658, #663-683, #700-702, Batman and Robin Vol. 1 #1-16, Batman: The Return, Batman Inc Vol. 1 #1-8, Leviathan Strikes!, Final Crisis, Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6, Batman Inc. Vol. 2 (coming in May)

Nice. Looks like I've read a ton of these, as indicated by the edited quote.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I'd put the Fab Four/Five on 52 at the top of this list.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'd add 52 as well. Other runs I would add would be:

Agents of Atlas (the various mini-series and short run series)
    Dan Slott's She-Hulk
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Brubaker on Cap is #1. Grant Morrison is overrated. Scott Snyder is so much better. And I think BMB should be higher up especially b/c of those early New Avengers stuff, they are awesome, but I guess 3 BMB in the top 10 is a little much.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I would remove Morrisons Batman from the list entirely myself. Shocked to see it on the list period let alone at #1!? oof.
  • Options
    I would remove Morrisons Batman from the list entirely myself. Shocked to see it on the list period let alone at #1!? oof.
    While I don't hate it, I am a bit surprised to see it as number one.
  • Options
    No All-Star Superman? Or New X-Men from Morrison? I prefer those both to his Batman work, which is not to say I haven't enjoyed his Batman.

chris
  • Options
    that said, I agree with what Mr. Bryant said above. The arbitrary use of just big 2 superheroes really marginalizes this list for me. But, what are you gonna do? I'm gonna READ SOME COMICS!

chris
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    They're being a bit selective with #20 Marvel Cosmic. Not including War of Kings/Realm of Kings because they would lower the quality of the overall run?
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I have to read Secret Six one of these days
  • Options
    Marathon, yeah I'm not pleased with how they just lumped a bunch of random DnA cosmic books together and called it a run.

I think they would have been better off sticking with Nova or GotG...as those two series were the best DnA did for Marvel.
  • Options
    Marathon, yeah I'm not pleased with how they just lumped a bunch of random DnA cosmic books together and called it a run.

I think they would have been better off sticking with Nova or GotG...as those two series were the best DnA did for Marvel.
    A moment of silence for Nova and GotG.

• Options
    mtk1966mtk1966 Posts: 5
    C'mon guys! Preacher! Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon = Excellence! I always make time to re-read this classic at least once per year. All 66 issues, the one-shots, and saint of killers.
  • Options
    Is Hickman's FF really that good? I've heard great things and I was hoping to try it soon but I've just never been really taken with the characters...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    C'mon guys! Preacher! Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon = Excellence! I always make time to re-read this classic at least once per year. All 66 issues, the one-shots, and saint of killers.
    I agree that Preacher is excellent, but it is also creator-owned, which leaves it out of the running of this list of, essentially, "Big 2 Superhero Runs". And also Preacher was actually a 90s series (and I think this is a further compliment to it as a series, given how great runs in the mid to late 90s were diamonds in the rough).
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    OMG this just blows me away worse the more I think about it... Morrisons Batman? #1 run of the decade!?!? (WTF can dogs and cats living together be far behind?).
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    Lordy lordy. I've read exactly ONE of the series on this list (Runaways). Talk about being out of touch LOL
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Is Hickman's FF really that good? I've heard great things and I was hoping to try it soon but I've just never been really taken with the characters...
    awesome. Franklin and Valeria are really the central characters though. Start with the Dark Reign mini.

• Options

Start with the Dark Reign mini.
    I completely skipped this at the time. I had no idea it would tie into such an epic run. I've had to add it to my ever growing "need" list.
  • Options
    OMG this just blows me away worse the more I think about it... Morrisons Batman? #1 run of the decade!?!? (WTF can dogs and cats living together be far behind?).
    Mass hysteria.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I do the same thing almost every year.