Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1568 Talkback - Ant-Man Movie Review

In this episode, we're 'reduced' to discussing the biggest little movie of Summer 2015: Ant-Man! Follow along as we feel out the finer formic features of this fledgling film franchise, and situate it within the grand and growing scheme of the Marvel Cinematic Universe! (1:13:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    About halfway through. I'm glad to hear the Geeks have given it generally favorable reviews thus far.

During the flashback scene at the beginning, I had leaned over to point out to my 12 yo that the scene was of the Triskellion being under construction. Unfortunately, he didn't immediately recall what that was and thus in the ensuing seconds of explaining it, I ended up missing some dialogue. So, was this meeting that Pym was having with SHIELD supposed to be in the immediate wake of the mission where Janet had gone missing?

I have to disagree a bit with Shane on the bit with Scott's buddy doing the voice over in telling stories. I thought it worked like a charm each time. Don't want to go to the well too many times, but I can definitely see it being used for big comedic effect down the road with him trying to recap a story for some of the Avengers.

I knew who Darren Cross was .... but only because he had just recently made an appearance in Ant-Man's book. Which, if you're not reading it, you need to.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I did check out some pages from the current Nick Spencer Ant-Man book, and with the 1st issue at only 99 cents digitally, I picked it up. There's only 5 of them so easy to jump aboard if I like it.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    When you all discussed Ant-Man/Rudd taking over as the Avengers' tech guy when RDJ no longer wants to suit up as Iron Man nobody mentioned simply recasting Tony Stark. That day is coming sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015
    JaxUr said:

When you all discussed Ant-Man/Rudd taking over as the Avengers' tech guy when RDJ no longer wants to suit up as Iron Man nobody mentioned simply recasting Tony Stark. That day is coming sooner rather than later.

I think RDJ walking away is closer then recasting the role. Recasting with this current cast could be more disastrous then beneficial.

This is one of those situations where the actor's popularity supercedes the character. That's why when Marvel NOW tried writing Stark in RDJ's voice is didn't work.

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hornhead said:

I did check out some pages from the current Nick Spencer Ant-Man book, and with the 1st issue at only 99 cents digitally, I picked it up. There's only 5 of them so easy to jump aboard if I like it.

This has been a fun book. I like Scott living in the Barbie dream house & using his i-phone as a big screen TV.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I want to like, awesome and lol this.

Going with awesome.
  • Options
    So I generally enjoy your podcast, and mostly liked this one, but was very turned off by Adam Murdo (sp) who apparently is desperate to become a grumpy 70 year old. While I have been called curmudgeonly from time to time, I feel like he was reaching for a new level. Specifically he said that the little girl wasn't cute enough... Do I need to list the multiple reasons why this is creepy/shitty? All-in-all though I agree that the movie does have a few problems, but, especially considering the issues involved in production, another solid marvel outing.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015
    Take it for what it's worth, but Murd is simply...

http://youtu.be/cGaueP0Iufo

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited July 2015

While I have been called curmudgeonly from time to time,

I believe it.

The girl was adorable though..I'll give you that.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    @Adam_Murdough suggesting that this on-screen Cassie was NOT cute was definitely not in line with how I felt at all. I thought she was perfect.
  • Options
    grannygeeknessgrannygeekness Posts: 79
    edited July 2015
    Not quite done with the episode, but I'm enjoying it very much. I'm in agreement with Adam as far as the bathroom scene, and I thought Cross was way too much like Lex Luther. I'm totally not in agreement about the cuteness of the little girl playing Cassie. I thought she was very cute. And given that one of the themes was father's and daughters, I thought Sophie's contributions to the podcast were very appropriate.
  • Options

So I generally enjoy your podcast, and mostly liked this one, but was very turned off by Adam Murdo (sp) who apparently is desperate to become a grumpy 70 year old. While I have been called curmudgeonly from time to time, I feel like he was reaching for a new level. Specifically he said that the little girl wasn't cute enough... Do I need to list the multiple reasons why this is creepy/shitty? All-in-all though I agree that the movie does have a few problems, but, especially considering the issues involved in production, another solid marvel outing.

...Yeah, I'll agree that taking a pot-shot at a child actor for her alleged lack of cuteness was a trifle insensitive of me. I wasn't being 100% serious when I made the remark, but I apologize for it anyway. What was really bothering me in the midst of that rant was the irksome overuse of the "precious-little-daughter-as-exploitable-weakness-of-action-hero" trope, one of several '90s-vintage or older genre clichés in evidence in, and compromising the quality of, the Ant-Man movie. None of which, of course, is in any way the fault of the little girl playing Cassie Lang.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

"LUCKY CHARMS!! Thanks, Daddy. You're the best!"
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    As much as I enjoyed the movie I still enjoyed hearing Murd's critisims of the film. A tweak here and there and I think as good as it was it could have been a better movie.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I basically agree with the above statement from matchkitJOHN. I did think there were a few story and character cliché's, as Murd said, but on the other hand I thought some of the action scenes were NOT clichéd. Thomas the Tank Engine (Train Engine?) for example. And I enjoyed the "Three Stooges." I like that they added some comedic touches. The little girl: no problem for me at all. It's Marvel Cinematic Universal after all, not the comics universe so I didn't really expect to see a teenaged Cassie especially after the trailers. Anyway, I don't think it was as good as GotG or even Avengers 2, but way better than the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. If I had to rank all of the Marvel Studios movies, it'd be difficult and tight. Avengers 1 is still my #1 with Incredible Hulk last.