Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do you buy/read Previews/Marvel Previews?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I usually get previews.

How else am I gonna know what to order? Every website I've ever seen to browse through the contents of Previews is pretty terrible.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited April 2012
    It's our Sears Wishbook (for you old farts out there who remember what the Sears Wishbook was).
    The first time I got a Previews I opened it up and started circling the things I wanted, and then I decided: I'm an adult now I will write them down on a legal note pad instead :D

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited April 2012
    I'm considering stopping looking through previews. I NEVER order anything additional to what is on my pull list already and I'm starting to hate the spoilers. I find I'm always looking months in advance and it takes away the enjoyment from what I buy every week. I say bring back Marvel Age!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    David,

I use the website to place orders. I abhor spreadsheets.

I go through Previews, make a list of the items I want, and then I search the DCBS website and add those items to my cart. So I'm only on the site for a few minutes. But those few minutes are enough for me to know that I could never spend time browsing through the catalogue. It would take forever.

Bry
    That might explain the difference in our experiences-- I do find running a search on their site is slow. Which is to say, there is a drag in getting search results if you are entering a specific value.

However if, say, I am in the Marvel section of their preorders, and I am done looking through and deciding on a page of items, when I click next there is no drag. It doesn't take the time to load one of those next pages the way that it takes time to return a search result. So that is why it doesn't feel slow to me.

I knew we'd figured it out. We're both right. And both get a prize. Like Middle School.
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    David,

I use the website to place orders.
    Problem with the website is that it doesn't save my cart. I put something in it today, its gone tomorrow... or worse after a few hours...
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I like to turn my previews into holiday decorations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxZQZcm4XTQ
    I thought of Martha Stewart when you said that.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I began ordering previews about a year ago and about 4 months later I stopped. I am on a very small budget, $30 for the month (being a jobless college kid has its pitfalls). I realized I could get an extra book for that money. But having such a small budget does make it easier to order, I don't need a book with a whole list of comics I can't get. DCBS has all I need and I am fine. If by some chance I need some more info, that is what Google is for.
  • Options
    I've been doing previews for over 15 years.I like being able to see all that's available and maybe find a few hidden gems or new companies that appear with great products.Its my comics bible!
  • Options
    I still maintain that there's just no way you can be exposed to all the books shipping in a month, without reading Previews.

Anyone who says they are browsing DCBS's site or random websites, just isn't making a good use of their time.

It's like arguing that 1+1=3. You are wrong!

Bry
    What about the books that ship that can't qualify to be in previews?
    There are a plethora of non-diamond products. I can't view previews as all encompassing like that nit is more like an advertiser's opinion.
    Just like there is more beer varieties than what the biggest distributor has.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256

What about the books that ship that can't qualify to be in previews?
    There are a plethora of non-diamond products. I can't view previews as all encompassing like that nit is more like an advertiser's opinion.
    Just like there is more beer varieties than what the biggest distributor has.
    Asked for information, not for snark: Is there a single source available to discover all of the non-Diamond products that are available in a given month?

• Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I order exactly the same way that Bryan does. Takes like half an hour, tops.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David,

I use the website to place orders.
    Problem with the website is that it doesn't save my cart. I put something in it today, its gone tomorrow... or worse after a few hours...
    One way around this, and I'll admit it is a gamble, is to place your order that day. One thing I *love love LOVE* about DCBS is that for that month (or actually around 20-25 days) you can go in and add/delete items from your current standing order. Which is what I do (as Bry and Kevin as well).

1) Go to DCBS.com first of the month when they solicit the new items are up for order.
    2) Go to Pull List tab - create order from those books
    3) Go through and take out all the duplicates like $100 sketch covers, etc. created by the pull list
    4) Go through the specials and add whatever strikes my fancy
    5) Go through the individual companies and add stuff.

later on

6) Get Previews. See stuff I missed that I "need"
    7) Hop back into the order and put them on there or take out stuff I changed my mind about.

later on

8) Make a note of the date the order will close and become permanent
    9) Make a point to be there on or before that date for a final rundown of my order.

Not hard. Heck I enjoy it!