Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1576 Talkback - Previews

Trick or Treat, smell our feet, here's this month's Previews! We go through the October catalog for items shipping starting in December. (1:57:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I believe that Omega Men was given a reprieve and will be allowed to go to 12 issues. At least that's what I seem to remember from last month's news.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I believe that Omega Men was given a reprieve and will be allowed to go to 12 issues. At least that's what I seem to remember from last month's news.

That is what I've heard as well.
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough I believe you said page 314 for Peek by Jason Youngblouth. I look forward to reading that as I've enjoyed Weapon Brown. As you were saying "warped" I immediately thought of him. However, I just met him at Baltimore Comic Con, and he didn't seem warped in person.
  • Options
    It was so nice to hear Jamie D remembered multiple times in this episode. Still miss the guy so much. I only wish I would have met him.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited October 2015
    We are currently in an animation Renaissance, so I 100% cosign with @Adam_Murdough about Steven Universe. That, combined with Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gravity Falls, We Bare Bears and its ilk are consistently clever, deep, intelligent, and at times moving. And I cannot wait to watch them when my DVR records a new one.

Other than Regular Show, which I'm watching on Hulu at the moment.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    All about the Steven Universe. I'll be getting that for my daughter, but I'll read it as soon as she's done. Adam, you'll be happy to know I saw quite a bit of Steven Universe cosplay at NYCC. And my daughter is going as Lapis Lazuli for Halloween.

Also, Private Eye is what I'm most excited about this month.
  • Options
    Completely overlooked the Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Comic Book Archive from Evan Dorkin. The newest series (Triumphant Return) doesn't compare. Thanks for taking notice of that @Adam_Murdough

Also, thanks for carrying on solo. Appreciate your efforts.
  • Options

It sounded like neither Chris nor Adam knew that all 10 issues of The Private Eye have been / still are available as a free web comic (also downloadable in PDF, CBR or CBZ formats) via the creators site, http://panelsyndicate.com. Actually, it's name-your-own-price… so if you feel guilty for getting such wonderful comic booking for free, you can PayPal Brian Vaughan & Marcos Martin however much you'd like :)

Also, Adam asked for feedback concerning this "studio-free" episode of CGS, and my feedback is: it sounded great! Both the audio quality and host chemistry sounded on par with studio productions. Another great couple of hours of CGS goodness.
  • Options

It sounded like neither Chris nor Adam knew that all 10 issues of The Private Eye have been / still are available as a free web comic (also downloadable in PDF, CBR or CBZ formats) via the creators site, http://panelsyndicate.com. Actually, it's name-your-own-price… so if you feel guilty for getting such wonderful comic booking for free, you can PayPal Brian Vaughan & Marcos Martin however much you'd like.
    I read the first couple of issues online, but I figured there'd be a nice hardcover eventually, and I prefer reading on paper to reading on a screen, so I held off on reading the rest. Either way I was going to give them money, because I want more.
  • Options

Also, Adam asked for feedback concerning this "studio-free" episode of CGS, and my feedback is: it sounded great! Both the audio quality and host chemistry sounded on par with studio productions. Another great couple of hours of CGS goodness.

Agreed. There was nothing wrong with the audio quality. If having studio-less episodes will get us a bit more content in this current era of cast member busy schedules then I'm all for it. I think we all understand the days of 3 plus weekly episodes are behind us but we will all take whatever we can get and this should help out a bit.

• Options
    About halfway through this one. Thanks, once again, to Murd and Prof. Eberle for continuing to carry the CGS torch. Very much appreciated, guys.

One of the few times I've ever disagreed with one of Chris' recommendations ... I've been extremely disappointed with "We Stand On Guard." Thought the principle was quite compelling, but the execution has been underwhelming. Was ready to drop it after issue #4, but now that I found out it's only going 6 issues, I'll likely ride it out. In good conscience, I can't recommend it.

The prequel to "The Massive" sounds interesting. That one got a little loopy near the end, but I still enjoyed it. May give this one a try.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I like his Starman, but getting excited about James Robinson's Marvel books because of it is cutting the guy a lot of slack for most of what he's written in between that and Airboy.
  • Options
    The sound quality was just fine. If that's the best way to get the gang together for a podcast, I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that. Finding time can always be a problem, especially if travel is involved. That being said, another great episode. I like the previews episodes because it's fun to see what jumps out at others who have gone through the catalog.

I noticed that the Darkseid War has been mentioned in a few episodes now, and I have to agree with, I believe it was Shane, in saying that it is actually been very good. I've been enjoying the story a lot, but I do have to admit that I hope they wrap it up in a few issues. As good as it is, I think I've had my fill of Darkseid as the "big bad" for a while. He seems to have dominated the DCU for some time now, and for me, it's time for someone/something different.

I agree also with Chris and Adam that the Marvel offerings are a bit overwhelming. I also found them to be a bit underwhelming as well, though. I have really been enjoying the Secret Wars main book, but the new solicits really don't grab me in any way, which is disappointing because they have some really great writers at Marvel. I guess I was hoping to see Steve Rogers come back as Cap, Sam Wilson return to being Falcon, and Wolverine return to his "old" self instead of remaining his OLD self. As overused as Wolverine was, this new old Wolverine doesn't cut it for me. I get that they're "All New", but some things should remain standards. I'll probably try a few titles off the shelf though. Like I said, they do have some great writers, and there will probably be a few gems in the bunch.

I also kind of get the feeling that this batch of Marvel titles feels a little transitional. Does anyone else get that feeling too? I know that nothing is permanent in comics, but it feels like a lot of these might go for about 10-12 issues before they get cancelled and something new comes along.

• Options
    JohnnyWI said:

I also kind of get the feeling that this batch of Marvel titles feels a little transitional. Does anyone else get that feeling too? I know that nothing is permanent in comics, but it feels like a lot of these might go for about 10-12 issues before they get cancelled and something new comes along.

Are you saying that new series like Totally Awesome Hulk, Weirdworld, The Vision, and Scarlet Witch aren't built to last?!?!

Agreed.
  • Options

JohnnyWI said:

Are you saying that new series like Totally Awesome Hulk, Weirdworld, The Vision, and Scarlet Witch aren't built to last?!?!

Agreed.
    Actually (and I hate to be such a downer), as I browse the newest Marvel catalog, I'm thinking pretty much ALL of the titles are pretty much doomed. There are a few exceptions of course, such as Daredevil, Amazing Spiderman, Ms. Marvel, and possibly Hawkeye.

I see "All New, All Different Avengers eventually going back to just "Avengers", which seems obvious, but I also can't see this lineup lasting either. I know the Avengers lineup has changed often, but just having the words "All New, All Different" in the title, screams temporary to me. There will also always be X-Men titles of course, too, but they seem to always be rotating these days (titles AND characters). I like the X-Men, but there are just way too many of them to really keep a continuity that I really care about anymore. I also imagine there will always be a solo Iron Man, title too, but they seem to be always restarting those too.

Also not long for this world (IMO) are any of the Inhumans titles, SpiderGwen, Spiderman 2099, and maybe even Guardians of the Galaxy if they keep rotating members. I really don't understand why they shook up the member list of Guardians in such a drastic way lately. I get that Star Lord has a pretty major storyline to finish up himself now, but the newer members feels like they had some popular characters with nowhere else to go with them right now.
  • Options
    JohnnyWI said:

Also not long for this world (IMO) are any of the Inhumans titles, SpiderGwen, Spiderman 2099, and maybe even Guardians of the Galaxy if they keep rotating members.

Spider-Gwen isn't going anywhere. Not only is it one of Marvel's best sellers, but it has a large female following. I saw a ton of Spider-Gwen cosplayers at NYCC. No, Spider-Gwen will be around for a while.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    How much should one plan to spend to get the slipcase and hardcover issues for the DK3 stuff? I so hated DK2 that I kind of want DK3 to be super successful but more than anything I just want it to be really good. I just think that Miller has taken the fascist Batman as far as it can go and I don't really think of that as my Batman but I hope its good nevertheless.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

JohnnyWI said:

Agreed.
    Those are the types of Marvel books that have me excited. Something tells me I should...

• Options
    JohnnyWI said:

Until Marvel shows some commitment to have some title/any title clear #25 (or so) then it will always feel transitional. I think it is so cute the way their issue numbers have three digits with a leading zero. They have no plans to ever let a title clear #100 ever again. We won't see that until someday when their is a new editor in chief with a new philosophy on that issue.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Dan_in_WI said:

Until Marvel shows some commitment to have some title/any title clear #25 (or so) then it will always feel transitional.

From the last big relaunch in Oct-Nov 2012, Marvel Now, the following titles did just that:

Deadpool (45)
    Guardians of the Galaxy (27)
    Nova (31)
    Captain America (25)*
    Iron Man (28)**
    New Avengers (33)
    Avengers (44)
    Uncanny Avengers (25)***
    The Superior Spider-Man (33)****
    All-New X-Men (41)
    Uncanny X-Men (36)

* Sam Wilson became Cap, relaunched.
    ** Post-Axis, Stark is amoral, relaunced.
    *** Title became the Axis event, relaunched post-Axis.
    **** Otto no longer Spidey, relaunched.

The most impressive there is Nova running 31 issues right up until Secret Wars.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I think most of those would fall into the "or so" portion of his statment. The Books getting into the 40's is impressive for what it is I guess.
  • Options
    Brack said:

<
    From the last big relaunch in Oct-Nov 2012, Marvel Now, the following titles did just that:

Yes there are exceptions to the 25ish number I threw out there. Those are mostly titles that had periods of double shipping. That is not the point. Even in your list of exceptions nothing makes it to #50 which means putting three digits on a comic's issue number is quite silly. Daredevil is launching volume 5. Amazing Spider-man is launching Vol. 4. Caption America I think is launching Vol. 6. Call me old fashion but I like continuing comics to have continuing issue numbers. There is no need to constantly relaunch.

• Options
    Dan_in_WI said:

putting three digits on a comic's issue number is quite silly.

Dan_in_WI said:

There is no need to constantly relaunch.

Agreed

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Someone had a negative encounter with Evan Dorkin? No, you don't say! I am shocked, I tell you. Shocked. ;)

(My own encounter with Dorkin was bad enough that I went from being a huge fan to someone who stopped buying his work entirely... he can be pretty unfriendly.)
  • Options

Someone had a negative encounter with Evan Dorkin? No, you don't say! I am shocked, I tell you. Shocked. ;)

(My own encounter with Dorkin was bad enough that I went from being a huge fan to someone who stopped buying his work entirely... he can be pretty unfriendly.)

@LibraryBoy If you ever want to listen to my least successful interview on Comic Timing, listen to when Dorkin was on the show. That was painful. Mostly because I was unprepared, but he certainly didn't run with the flow.
  • Options
    I've had two or three interactions with Evan, and while I wouldn't say they were overwhelmingly positive, they weren't negative in any way either. I think he just has a very guarded personality in public, and it takes him a while to warm up to people.