Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In case a Giant Sized Man-Thing isnt big enough for you... Previews!

previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=120492

MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC
(W/A) Various (CA) Ariel Olivetti
Neither wholly plant nor animal, neither entirely self-aware nor totally non-sentient, the creature called the Man-Thing is unique, unchanging and alone - but none who encounter him can ever be the same again. Empathic by nature and drawn to fight evil, his shambling visage inspires fear - and whatever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch. Whether danger rises from the swamp or the city, the past or the future, outer space or the human soul, the Man-Thing awaits! Collecting ASTONISHING TALES (1970) #12-13; FEAR #11-18, and material from #10 and #19; MAN-THING (1974) #1-22, GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #1-3 and material from #4-5, INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #197-198; MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #68; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #43; MAN-THING (1979) #1-11; DR. STRANGE (1974) #41; and material from SAVAGE TALES (1971) #1, MONSTERS UNLEASHED #5 and #8-9, and RAMPAGING HULK (1977) #7.

oh for the love of Steve Gerber! There is an omnibus worth having!

Commence innuendo in 3....2....1....

Comments

• Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    Even more exciting, the Second Criminal Deluxe Hardcover:

CRIMINAL: THE DELUXE EDITION VOL. 2 HC
    ED BRUBAKER (w) • SEAN PHILLIPS (a/C)
    The second oversized hardback of the award-winning crime series from Ed Brubaker and Sean
    Phillips is finally here! The first edition has gone through four printings, in sellout after sellout,
    and now the rest of Brubaker and Phillips’ noir masterpiece is collected in the same format.
    Collecting BAD NIGHT, THE SINNERS and THE LAST OF THE INNOCENT — along with short
    stories, behind-the-scenes pieces, art and articles, all previously uncollected. Don’t miss
    out on this beautiful package from the best- selling team behind such hits as INCOGNITO
    and FATALE. Colors by Val Staples and Dave Stewart.
    432 PGS./Mature … $49.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6584-2
    Trim size: oversized

"the REST of Brubaker and Phillips’ noir
    masterpiece is collected"
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I once bought a cheap issue of Giant Size Man Thing just so I could say that I have a Giant Size Man-Thing.
  • Options
    Not that I didn't have one before, I just mean one that I could show people.
  • Options
    afterall, whats the point of having one if you can't show it off....
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    One of Marvel's greatest books of the 70's, I love that Gerber's work is getting the showcase it deserves.

(and they aren't putting the Claremont Fan fiction series he started right after they fired Gerber in the book)

(no, I'm not bitter)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    afterall, whats the point of having one if you can't show it off....
    That's what she said.
  • Options
    Not that I didn't have one before, I just mean one that I could show people.
    That's what she... said?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    One of Marvel's greatest books of the 70's, I love that Gerber's work is getting the showcase it deserves.

(and they aren't putting the Claremont Fan fiction series he started right after they fired Gerber in the book)

(no, I'm not bitter)
    Gotta agree Man-thing is so under rated . When Gerber was writting it the book was amazing. That horrible Claremont run is pretty bad. So far I haven't read any Bronze Age Marvel from Steve Gerber that is bad.

• Options

MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC
    Neither wholly plant nor animal, neither entirely self-aware nor totally non-sentient, the creature called the Man-Thing is unique, unchanging and alone - but none who encounter him can ever be the same again. Empathic by nature and drawn to fight evil, his shambling visage inspires fear - and whatever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch. Whether danger rises from the swamp or the city, the past or the future, outer space or the human soul, the Man-Thing awaits! Collecting ASTONISHING TALES (1970) #12-13; FEAR #11-18, and material from #10 and #19; MAN-THING (1974) #1-22, GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING #1-3 and material from #4-5, INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) #197-198; MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #68; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #43; MAN-THING (1979) #1-11; DR. STRANGE (1974) #41; and material from SAVAGE TALES (1971) #1, MONSTERS UNLEASHED #5 and #8-9, and RAMPAGING HULK (1977) #7.

I know now what is going on my X-mas wishlist. Might have to get 2 copies since my son is also a huge fan of Man-thing.

• Options

(no, I'm not bitter)
    Gotta agree Man-thing is so under rated . When Gerber was writting it the book was amazing. That horrible Claremont run is pretty bad. So far I haven't read any Bronze Age Marvel from Steve Gerber that is bad.

When I was in my formative years and getting into comics, I read a couple issues of the Marvel Star Wars comic and never bought another one. Growing up, I was never quite sure why (and I'm not sure what happened to those issues) as I was a huge Star Wars fan. Years later, Dark Horse began reprinting that run and I bought the first TPB and thought it was a lot of fun (if goofy at parts in some of those early issues) and as the series went on and it got better, I began to wonder more and more why I didn't love this series as a kid. It was right up my alley. I looked it up and saw that the two issues that I bought (I remembered what the covers look like) were also the only two issues of the series that Claremont wrote. Being a huge X-Men fan, I began to look forward to those issues and figured maybe those were just a bit too much for my 6-year old self (I wasn't really into the X-Men at the time either and when I did get into them, I could understand why that was the case). Then I got to those issues.

Let's just say that I really have more and more lost any desire to read anything by him that does not involve the X-Men or a spinoff thereof. And yet I could read his X-Men/New Mutants/Excalibur/Wolverine/etc over and over again. So I'll take your word for it on Claremont's Man-Thing. I know nothing about his Man-Thing and I will bow to your expertise on Claremont's Man-Thing.
  • Options

(no, I'm not bitter)

When I was in my formative years and getting into comics, I read a couple issues of the Marvel Star Wars comic and never bought another one. Growing up, I was never quite sure why (and I'm not sure what happened to those issues) as I was a huge Star Wars fan. Years later, Dark Horse began reprinting that run and I bought the first TPB and thought it was a lot of fun (if goofy at parts in some of those early issues) and as the series went on and it got better, I began to wonder more and more why I didn't love this series as a kid. It was right up my alley. I looked it up and saw that the two issues that I bought (I remembered what the covers look like) were also the only two issues of the series that Claremont wrote. Being a huge X-Men fan, I began to look forward to those issues and figured maybe those were just a bit too much for my 6-year old self (I wasn't really into the X-Men at the time either and when I did get into them, I could understand why that was the case). Then I got to those issues.

Let's just say that I really have more and more lost any desire to read anything by him that does not involve the X-Men or a spinoff thereof. And yet I could read his X-Men/New Mutants/Excalibur/Wolverine/etc over and over again. So I'll take your word for it on Claremont's Man-Thing. I know nothing about his Man-Thing and I will bow to your expertise on Claremont's Man-Thing.
    I have come to realize with Claremont that I only like his stuff set in the X-universe. Everything else I have read from him has been very disappointing.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

MAN-THING OMNIBUS HC

The only thing that could possibly make this better would be the inclusion of Michael Golden's beautiful Man-Thing issue from Micronauts #7 (a couple of months prior to Dr. Strange #41).

The book that pulled me into the Marvel Universe!
  • Options
    Pulled in by the Man-Thing, huh?

I love this thread.
  • Options
    never gets old....

:D
  • Options
    Pulled in by the Man-Thing, huh?

I love this thread.
    Weird. My Man-Thing doesn't usually pull on me.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445

I have come to realize with Claremont that I only like his stuff set in the X-universe. Everything else I have read from him has been very disappointing.
    I loved his run on Marvel Team Up, and most of his pre-X-Men work is Good Stuff. I also liked his runs after he left Marvel in 1992 until his return to the X-Men (which was disappointing). Man-Thing is a hard book to write, and it was SO personal to Gerber, I wonder if anyone can do it other than him.

That again, that's how people felt about Len Wein on Swamp Thing at one point.

• Options

I loved his run on Marvel Team Up, and most of his pre-X-Men work is Good Stuff. I also liked his runs after he left Marvel in 1992 until his return to the X-Men (which was disappointing). Man-Thing is a hard book to write, and it was SO personal to Gerber, I wonder if anyone can do it other than him.

That again, that's how people felt about Len Wein on Swamp Thing at one point.

I find Man-Thing to be like Howard the duck. In that really only Steve Gerber should write them.