Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1580 - BOMC: The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

Three years into the legendary 1980s run of The New Teen Titans, creators Marv Wolfman and George Perez brought forth upon the DC Universe a story arc that forever altered the unwritten rules and expectations governing superhero team storytelling. That arc was 'The Judas Contract,' and in this episode of CGS we take stock of the multitude of major milestones it contained for DC's second-generation super-team: Dick Grayson's maturation from Robin to Nightwing, the introduction of Jericho, the secret origin of Deathstroke the Terminator, and the perfidy of the insidious ingenue called Terra, whose betrayal of the Titans left them (and all of superhero fandom) not knowing whom to trust! (2:00:33)

Listen here.

...And/or watch on YouTube here!

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Awesome. Good hear @ShaneKelly back in the saddle
  • Options
    To fill out the story of “Titans Fit the Battle of Jericho,” Infantino rejected Wolfman and Wein’s story because he thought the anti-racist message went over the top and the issue would not sell in the South. The story had already been drawn (pencils and inks) by Nick Cardy, and had to go to the printer in one week. Neal Adams was brought in to rewrite/redraw the story. Wolfman and Wein fought the rewrite, and were nearly black-balled from working for DC.

Adams toned down the more confrontational aspects of the story (though keeping Jericho black), and was able to reuse many of the pages—or parts of pages—Cardy had drawn, and Cardy inked Adams’ pencils (Sal Amendola chipped in pencils on two pages as well) to maintain a consistency to the artwork. It was published as Teen Titans #20, and Mal Duncan debuted one year later (Teen Titans was bi-monthly) in Teen Titans #26.
  • Options
    Re: the Terra/Geo-Force relationship, according to Marv, he and Mike Barr came up with their respective characters at the same time, completely independently and unbeknownst to one another. Rather than one of them changing their character’s powers, they agreed to make them brother and sister.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2015
    Ready to follow along...

Edit: Great episode guys! You did a wonderful job covering all the highs and lows of the story. I first read this about five years ago and was struck by the creepiness of Deathstroke and Tara's relationship. Her character in general is a lot more vile than I expected. I think like Shane and Murd I was influenced by the cartoon and wasn't aware of how messed up she really was.

I do wish Peter could have been on the show but I'll be looking forward to when he covers it on his own podcast.

Next BotM: The first Marvel G.I. Joe issues are a lot different than what would come later. As a fan of the cartoon first I had a hard time getting into the early issues. I'll be interested to hear what everyone thinks.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    for any British readers who would like to get the trade or original issues signed Mr Marv Wolfman himself is going to be at London Super Comic Convention in February
    http://www.londonsupercomicconvention.com/
  • Options
    Wahoo! Video is back! Although listening while driving is my primary mode of consumption, these episodes are extra special. And the cameo by Peter The Rios? Flawless! I rewound that several times! (Can you actually rewind digital content? Probably not...)

What else? Murd and Pants can tell you that I am a life-long, unabashed and unashamed Marvel Zombie, so I had never read a Teen Titan comic, nor had I heard of Raven or Jericho or Tara or Geo-Force...but Chris said it all: "You don't have to know much about the Teen Titans to get a lot out of it." This arc was awesome! I gobbled it up, and I was very impressed! ("Shocker." Even Marvel Zombies know that Wolfman and Pérez are awesome!)

Of course, due to my ignorance, I was quite surprised by the cover of issue #44. I picked it up and saw Nightwing... and Deathstroke... and Adam Murdough?! Can anyone say "Dead Ringer"?!? Murd, please tell me that you have attended a Halloween party as Jericho at some point in the past! Please tell me that you still receive royalties for that cover art?!

Also, as usual, Murd's insight and analysis was stunning. His description of Deathstroke's origin as a metaphor of Wolfman's generational journey? Brilliant! And Murd's description of Jericho as "the antithesis of Deathstroke... the Jungian shadow of his father"?!? Pow! I wish that I could read all comics while residing within Adam's cranium!

And I could not agree more with the criticism of Wolfman's description of Tara's mental illness as being "her fault." Although, the discussion that followed was unnecessarily biased to the "nurture" portion of the "nature/nurture" argument. Yes, her past could have resulting in her psychotic break, but being born with an up-regulated neurotransmitter or down-regulated receptor for such could have the same result.

Last, will you tolerate a couple of humble suggestions for BOTM episodes? First, for us ignoramuses out here, I would have appreciated a list of issues to read within the description of the episode. As luck would have it, I saw the episode during the same time as a local comic con, so I researched it on Comic Book DB and then headed to the Con and bought reader's copies of issues 42-44 and annual 3 so that I could read along. However, perhaps I should have read issue 2 or 27 or 28 or 38 or others that were mentioned during the episode? For me, because I like to read along with the BOTM, a "suggested reading list" within the episode's description would be very much appreciated.

Second, I would prefer that you handle the BOTM like you handle Off The Racks: by going over each issue one at a time. I think the "random recollections" approach deprives the audience of insights that may have come to light if you discussed each issue in turn.

In closing, I cannot wait to read GI Joe with you! Again, as a Marvel Zombie, I've never read a GI Joe comic, but I hear you (and other podcasts, such as Uncanny X-Cast) mention it so often that I am very much intrigued. Good choice, Shane!
  • Options
    Going to go back and watch this episode again.

So here is the funny thing about the Judas Contract. I HAD read this before. I bought the single issues at a library book sale (first appearance of Nightwing for 50 cents!!! Wahoo!!!) and I guess I did read them. I just forgot I guess. It couldn't be more than two years ago.

The analysis from Chris, Murd, and Shane did help fill in some gaps. I did not know that this was the origin of Deathstroke and the first appearance of Jericho. This arc would be more enhanced by reading the earlier issues as Murd stated. That is true. The four issues standing alone for someone who hasn't read (or forget they read in my case) would be better if they read those early issues before Tara's betrayal.

Tara and Slade? Definitely icky. Tara gives me a kind of a Miley Cyrus feel.

The Annual was the best part of the four issues. Great action. Did not need the hive. All those people and they all split. Guess they didn't want to be exposed.

A 16 year-old being that hateful could have been explained more.

And I would like to read the essays that Wolfman and Perez wrote. I have the issues digitally. Maybe I can find an article. Probably a Twomorrows Back Issue article out there.

Great episode. I look forward to Peter's input too.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    edited November 2015
    As a reader of NTN at the time of Judas Contract I was impressed by how complex the storyline was but in all honesty it was pretty much par for the course that entire Wolfman/Perez run. Its hard to express now how this story read to me as a teenager, pretty groundbreaking. 30 years of hindsight makes it seem trite or obvious but as you picked up each issue it felt like nothing else on the rack. Great episode, worthy of the pedestal Judas Contract belongs on.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I quit reading comics in 1980, right before New Teen Titans started, so I've never read any of this stuff. Is it readily available in trades?
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    ^I'm not sure if the "Judas Contact" issues are readily available at the moment, but DC recently started reprinting the New Teen Titans run right from the start. Volume 1 is here...

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/NEW-TEEN-TITANS-TP-VOL-01/JUN140283

...and they're currently up to Volume 3. At this rate, the "Judas Contract" issues should be coming in the near future. They have been reprinted several times before but, again, I think those trades are out of print. Probably available used, though.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks again for the episode! Nice Puppet Rios cameo! And I liked the relaxed atmosphere on video. (Kinda wondered what Jun is doing while you guys are talking) ... I'm one of those folks who was reading those Titans issues in floppies as they came out. I was already 28 years old at the time, so none of it was actually shocking, perhaps since I was reading them a month at a time? I get the idea that if you read them consecutively without a month between that Tara's "bad seediness" might be more shocking. Anyway, yeah that whole Titans run is incredible. I'm really sorry that I threw out those issues. I've gotten about 50% of them back and I'll keep looking. They ALWAYS provide me with a good reading experience.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Elsiebub said:

^I'm not sure if the "Judas Contact" issues are readily available at the moment, but DC recently started reprinting the New Teen Titans run right from the start. Volume 1 is here...

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/NEW-TEEN-TITANS-TP-VOL-01/JUN140283

...and they're currently up to Volume 3. At this rate, the "Judas Contract" issues should be coming in the near future. They have been reprinted several times before but, again, I think those trades are out of print. Probably available used, though.

Vol 4 had already been solicited. It is due out on/around January 20th.
  • Options
    davetalkscomicsdavetalkscomics Posts: 60
    edited February 2016
    I remember buying and reading this story as it was coming out. I was 13 or 14 at the time. I think some of the more disturbing aspects went over my head but I do remember enjoying it. I think the betrayal meant more to me then than did the disturbing part.

I didn't know what to make of Robin becoming Nightwing back then. I think I had read some of the original Nightwing and Flamebird appearances in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen by then.

This time around I was very disturbed by Terra's intimate relationship with Deathstroke. He should have been raked over the coals for that. Of course given how nuts Terra was by the end I suppose the Titans were probably taking whatever she said with a shaker of salt and didn't realize the extent of his involvement with Terra.

Second, I would prefer that you handle the BOTM like you handle Off The Racks: by going over each issue one at a time. I think the "random recollections" approach deprives the audience of insights that may have come to light if you discussed each issue in turn.

I couldn't agree more.