Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1581 Talkback - Comic Talk

A little TV talk (Supergirl, Jessica Jones), a little comic talk (Paper Girls, Secret Wars), a couple glasses of wine: what better way to put a cap on the long Thanksgiving weekend? Gobble-Gobble, Geek-speakers! (1:09:43)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I was on board with Supergirl after the premiere, but my interest has waned significantly with each subsequent episode. And I think you guys hit the nail perfectly on the head when you pointed out that this show isn't FOR us. It's the same reason I revile The Big Bang Theory; the show is not made for me. Which is totally fine, as long as it was made for someone.

While I could debate Big Bang Theory wasn't made for anyone (and I could), Supergirl was DEFINITELY made for mothers and daughters, fathers and daughters, and even fathers and mothers and sons, who are looking for a role model and a show with a lighter, fluffier tone. In other words...a CBS show. Supergirl does has some strong suits to it, specifically Hank Henshaw and Kara's long list of Rogues, but the fundamental flaw of the show might come down to their being a fully established Superman in this world.

The Reactron episode was a perfect example of this (and SPOILERS for a little bit here). Supergirl was unable to take on Reactron (who I know best from Jaml Igle and Sterling Gate's run on Supergirl) on her own, so Supes swooped in and handled it, then flew right back off. Sure, he sent her an AOL Instant Message afterwards reassuring her that she was more than capable of handling this on her own, but Superman has been established as being even more capable. But the show itself is incapable of showing this, because we can't get a scene where Superman is saved by Kara. Because Superman is off limits outside of being a blue blur, thanks to the movies. And now they're talking about bringing Superboy into the picture, which I assume would be time travel driven. Sounds cool, but I hope that's just for an episode or two ala the comics.

Mind you I have yet to watch episode 4 and 5 of Supergirl so I'm still behind, but most of the supporting cast feel like caricatures more than characters at this point. Jimmy James (insert a News Radio joke here) is overly confident and suave, while Winn fails to win the girl like the usual nerd character. And excellent point made by @Adam_Murdough that these two are pretty much both sides of Jimmy in the comics split into two.

As for potential crossovers with The Flash...it better be via a cosmic treadmill, because The Flash and Arrow's world is Kryptonian-free. Metas didn't exist til after the accelerator accident, as established. Retconning that at this point would be problematic. I'm going to give it a bit more of a shot and I am TOTALLY happy that the show exists, but I think I might just be happy having Jessica Jones and Peggy Carter to turn to as my female driven superhero shows.

Gotham, on the other hand...wow. I was THIS CLOSE to dropping Gotham midway through its first season, and didn't even watch it past the midseason point until I had about six episodes piled up on the DVR. But the backhalf of season one plus the first half of season two has been like an entirely different show in a VERY good way. It's like the writers all woke up one day and said, "You know what? Screw it, let's go nuts." In doing so, the show has become more like the Batman comic books I grew up with - insane yet grounded, exaggerated yet still refined. Because Gotham City is that, to a T; it's NYC to the extreme. I could easily see Rucka and Brubaker watching this and enjoying portions that take what they established and put it in new directions.

It's also developed an edge that reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series at times, especially with the ambiguous technology aesthetic. Still not completely thrilled with Edward Nigma's turn, but the interaction between him and Penguin is golden. Same with Gordon and Bullock; it's really developed into a wonderful one-two. As for Galavan, I've been a fan of the actor, James Frain, for years now on The Tudors and True Blood and elsewhere. He alwas brings this creepy, underhanded charm to his characters. The same can be done here in a storyline that brings the Four Families of Gatham into the universe, which is PERFECT for the show. Galavan might have some flaws as a character, but the overall arc has worked well. I'd say that anyone who gave up on the show early on might want to give it a second look. Couldn't hurt.
  • Options
    At the beginning of the season I was sure I was going to watch Supergirl first and I'll catch Gotham later in the week. Now its been I forgot to watch Supergirl before listening to the DCTV podcast and I have been watching Gotham right after it finishes recording at 9pm. Go figure.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Here's how I know Supergirl has the appeal CBS was looking for. My 65 year old mother who's never taken an interest in anything like that watched some episodes and liked it.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Gotham is a wacky ass show. It is tonally all over the place, annoying at times and sometimes just plain awesome.
  • Options
    Folks, you're very welcome for the recent goodies that I sent your way. Shane, I giggle at the notion of you using your badge to make a citizen's arrest now and then! Chris, I just stumbled onto something that I think you'll enjoy; I'll send it out this week. Adam, the real reason that I sent you that Avengers issue is the combination of (a) the title of the issue, (b) the artist of the issue, and (c) the editor of the issue. Consider those three hints and you'll see why I thought that it "needed" to be in your collection (the OHOTMU cover for "Sex" was a no brainer). Thanks for another terrific Comic Talk!
  • Options
    Hey Chris, good call on Hank Henshaw.
  • Options
    JohnnyWIJohnnyWI Posts: 27
    edited January 2016
    Loving Paper Girls as well. The comparison to Super 8 is dead on. This is a super fun book. Everyone can enjoy this book, but if you were young in the 80's, it's even better. But being a mini series, it might be better to get the trade. I'm enjoying the issues, but am disappointed that I can't get my hands on the next issue right away. :)