Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1583 Talkback - Off the Racks: Bat-Mite #1, The Omega Men #1, and Strange Fruit #1

We continue to play Off the Racks catch-up in this episode, as we offer our thoughts on a trio of not-quite-new releases: the imp-ishly satirical misadventure of Bat-Mite #1, the outer-space political intrigue of The Omega Men #1 (both from DC), and the racially-charged, super-powered period drama of Strange Fruit #1 (from BOOM! Studios). (1:25:21)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks guys. Looking forward to this.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited December 2015
    Here's the thing about Omega Men: This isn't the Omega Men we are familiar with. Same basic character designs, same names, but this is a different universe. Part of the approach here is asking are the Omega Men terrorists or heroes? That was the marketing approach, and that's the storytelling approach. Prior knowledge of the Omega Men—and I’ve read much of the original series—is not just irrelevant and unimportant to this story, but I would argue detrimental to the story, as it brings certain expectations from the reader.

Personally, I am very happy that someone writing a Big Two book was able to put out a first issue that didn't conform to the standard formula which we all know beat for beat by now, and which too often results in a predictable and boring issue for me. Was this first issue confusing? A little perhaps, but I like the idea of starting with a bit of chaos and slowly putting it into order, and it only made me more interested in unraveling the mystery. Adam's comparison to Giffen's Legion of Super-Heroes, a series I really enjoyed, was spot on. It read more like science fiction than space opera, something we don't see very often in comics.

That's not to say the story is a perfect one. I thought the artwork, both in terms of the drawing and the storytelling, could have been better. And while Tom seemed to be trying to limit the exposition in explaining the political/cultural situation, it could have used a bit more clarity, since that appears to be the central motivating force of the story.

As a first issue, I'd give it a buy-row. As a series, the same. I've only read the first three issues so far, and things are still slowly coming into focus. But I'd have liked to have seen just a bit more depth in the characters by now.

As for Bat-Mite: Pants. Not even a chuckle passed my lips, so no thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Re: Strange Fruit, I agree with most of what Adam and Chris said. It's a buy from me as well, though not quite as emphatic. No complaints whatsoever on the art—fantastic stuff. The only qualms I have about the book are some of the storytelling shortcuts taken.

Like Chris, I too felt that D.C. sending a black engineer at that time was very unlikely. I understand it was to show an educated black man in the story that otherwise would have none, but it felt forced and heavy-handed.

Likewise, having the senator and the rich widow being shown as the only two non-racist whites I found to be problematic. First, it implies that the more educated you are, the less racist you are, which isn't necessarily the case. Second, it feels contrived to have the two people with theoretically the most power in town be non-racist, especially when the opposite tended to be true. Third, they are the only whites in the story with speaking parts who are not in the Klan. It's not an either or, and most of the people in that town would likely have been racist but not Klan members. Hopefully some of my problems will be addressed as the story goes along.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @wildpigcomics I'm glad you're enjoying Private Eye. It is indeed intended to be a standalone story (though I suppose they could always come up with another story in that world down the road). The good news is that they have already released the first issue of their new project, Barrier, done in the same way as Private Eye.

And Shadow Hero was indeed a great book. Not quite what I was expecting going into it, but very fun and very well done. And a good book for kids too, I think.
  • Options
    I never been more impressed with or respectful of an Off The Racks episode as this one. To give a nearly unanimous Pants-ing to your friend, Tom King, shows exceptional objectivity. I share your respect for his work, and your opinion of Omega Men; it was impenetrable and exasperating. To paraphrase Jamie D., bye, bye, bye.

Otherwise, I'm in lockstep with Adam. I should've borrowed Bat-Mite and I enjoyed Strange Fruit a great deal (which is noteworthy, given that I usually dislike painterly sequential art).
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Oh, I read most of the comics months ago and it was hard to remember them until I heard you guys discuss them. So, thanks! Anyway, I pretty much agree with all of your ratings:
    Bat-Mite: Panrow, Borants? I don't think I would have bought it if it weren't an OTR pick.
    Omega Men: Pants! I ordered the first 3 issues and even decided to give it 3 MORE issues to build a connection with me, but alas...it never did. I think 6 issues is a fair shot.
    Strange Fruit: Borrow. This one is the hardest to remember. I think I remember having a fairly positive feeling after I read it. I could've even been thinking that I should've ordered more, but unfortunately, I didn't, so...that's it.
    Thanks again, Adam and Chris!