Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1585 Talkback - Spotlight on Star Wars Comics in the First Marvel Era

A long time ago in a comics industry far, far away, the biggest comics publisher in the galaxy was saved from financial ruin by an unlikely hero: a scrappy little series based on a surprise blockbuster film called STAR WARS. Now, as Star Wars mania seizes the world anew, one-man Jedi holocron Chris Eberle and the other CGS Geeks revisit that series, the first Star Wars comics ever produced. Thrill to the surprising true story of how the original Marvel Star Wars comic of the '70s and '80s found its way to print, then stay tuned for a few select highlights from the comic itself. (1:27:05)

Listen here, your worshipfulness!

Comments

• Options
    That was a pleasant surprise. I thought the movie review would be next and you guys dropped that! Really enjoyed. Makes want to read the issues.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Just for British clarity Dave Prowse, the man in the Darth Vader suit, is not Scottish. He comes from the South West of England, Bristol to be precise, and has a broad west country accent.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Very pragmatic to record more than one podcast episode when you guys get together. Much appreciated. I am also very fond of this series. I'm only 1/3 through the episode so far, and enjoying it.
  • Options
    Fun episode guys! I remember getting the Special Edition (Treasure style) of the second-half of the Star Wars adaptation for Christmas and loving it. I read that oversized comic so many times I wore it out! I was thrilled at the prospect of continuing adventures with my favorite new characters. The full page ad for issue #7 compelled me to make sure I found them at the local convenience store, and I kept up until around issue 13 or 14, and then only picked them up here and there until I eventually got a subscription. This was around the Empire era and on through the hoojibs and Shira and more. Great, great fun all the way.

By the way, those great NPR radio dramas can all be found online, naturally. Here's a playlist of the trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQgGS-0Wtg&list=PL8VYB4XU544SaEOygr0wRZKUptO6bUbps

Oh yes, and here is how Jabba the Hutt was portrayed in the original adaptation. I think @Adam_Murdough was correct that he bore a resemblance to a random character seen around Mos Eisley

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Perfect episode. It even had a Monark Starstalker reference...
  • Options

Oh yes, and here is how Jabba the Hutt was portrayed in the original adaptation. I think @Adam_Murdough was correct that he bore a resemblance to a random character seen around Mos Eisley

Yup. Mosep Binneed.

I posted this in the Marvel's Star Wars comics thread in the main forum, mistakenly reading the title as discussing this era of Marvel's Star Wars rather than the latest books.

chris

• Options

Yup. Mosep Binneed.

I posted this in the Marvel's Star Wars comics thread in the main forum, mistakenly reading the title as discussing this era of Marvel's Star Wars rather than the latest books.

chris

Yes, that was a great thread and I remember you posting that too @ChrisBeckett. A good discussion on the Marvel comics there. I wonder if the geeks knew about that thread? Maybe @David_D would consider an amalgamation? Might be confusing though.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Star Wars #7 was probably the first issue of the original comics I saw, and definitely the first I bought. Like you guys, I bought issues sporadically. I probably had about a dozen all told. After Return of the Jedi, I kind of left Star Wars behind. I still have a love for the original movies, and I still have my original 50 or so Star Wars figures and related toys (including the Falcon and the Death Star) which I spent all my allowance and chore money on as a kid, and I still have Splinter of the Mind’s Eye and the three Han Solo novels I bought as a kid, and they remained cherished items, but I moved on to other things, mainly music and science fiction novels.

I used to cut out the Goodwin/Williamson Star Wars newspaper strip every day, and I liked it better than the comics (which was part of the reason I wasn't scouring spinner racks for the comic book). I picked up the Dark Horse Classic Star Wars reprints of the strips when they published them in three trade paperbacks starting in 1994.

Before Chaykin’s Dominic Fortune and Monark Starstalker, Chaykin created Cody Starbuck in Star*Reach #1 (Apr. 1974). They're all basically the same character. And he'd drawn “Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser” and “Ironwolf” stories for DC and “Killraven” stories for Marvel before that, so he was well versed in fantasy/sci-fi before getting the Star Wars gig.

Re: Carmine Infantino drawing Star Wars, he never bothered staying on model—he was consistent, but not on model. He drew it his way, and Terry Austin would redraw things in the inks as needed. But Carmine was only doing breakdowns instead of full pencils for most of his run.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice episode, gents! While I was listening, the talk about how Marvel ended up making the original Star Wars comics made me recall an article I had just read in a 2013 issue of Star Wars Insider (Issue #140, pages 49-53) which I had just picked up for a dollar in the old magazine bin at my friend's comic shop here in Japan. Apparently there was a guy named Edward Summer also involved in the story. He was "hanging out" with George Lucas at the time, helping to organize the deals for the comics. He reveals that Lucas had indeed seen the "Iron Wolf" series that Chaykin was doing in Weird Worlds. It was the wooden ships in that series that Lucas really loved. Summer also stated that they had gone to Warren and DC first because at that time those two companies had the best graphics, Warren for it's stable of incredible artists, DC for it's color and reproduction. After Warren and DC turned them down, they went to Marvel because they "would publish anything" and the writing was always very good.

As for me, personally I think I got the first six issues, read them, enjoyed them, but didn't see the movie at all until 1979. I think the only reason I got them was that I, too had liked Sword & Sorcery and Iron Wolf, so I was perhaps only following Chaykin's work?
    After the first six issues, I just got the occasional issue until I joined the military. I feel it's kind of interesting that people would say Star Wars saved Marvel. Wasn't X-Men also starting to do gangbusters at that time? Looking at the timeline, the Clarement and Cockrum run coincides with the Star Wars movie and I don't think the Star Wars comics were doing that well at the time. Then Byrne starts doing the artwork at the end of '77 and the X-Men really take off.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    alienal said:

I feel it's kind of interesting that people would say Star Wars saved Marvel. Wasn't X-Men also starting to do gangbusters at that time? Looking at the timeline, the Clarement and Cockrum run coincides with the Star Wars movie and I don't think the Star Wars comics were doing that well at the time. Then Byrne starts doing the artwork at the end of '77 and the X-Men really take off.

We have to remember that the Len Wein/Chris Claremont/Dave Cockrum/John Byrne X-Men, a core run beginning with Giant-Size X-Men #1 (1975) to X-Men #143 (1981), wasn't to my knowledge a runaway sales success or industry pacesetter as much as it was an extremely well-liked superhero comic with a lot of hardcore fans. It was the buzz superhero book of the late 1970s, the same way that The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, JLA, The Authority, and Daredevil (under Miller) would play that same role in later eras. X-Men's best issues and storylines had an impact on the direction of superhero comics that outpaced its actual sales numbers. Domination of the sales charts came later.

Even within those awesome following issues, X-Men didn't become a comic of passionate interest to devoted readers until around issue #125 (Phoenix Returns) or so. By then the comic's content began ramping up into a sustained action-adventure narrative. At the same time, X-Men back-issues began to receive attention. It was hard for kids to ignore that X-Men #94, a comic they may have purchased just three or four years earlier, was selling for $15-$20. While the title picked up adherents throughout that seminal run, it wasn't until the last two years of work by the Claremont/Byrne team that the title began to be widely recognized as something special. This was two years after the Star Wars comics had launched,

Perhaps with the overwhelming popularity of the Star Wars comics brought more discerning readers into the comics hobby, around the same time the X-Men was beginning to hit its stride, and Star Wars comics became a gateway to other Marvel books, such as these, thus leading to an awakening to the X-Men title which was noticed, acknowledged, and eventually appreciated and revered for the seminal run that it became? Just a theory. But I would submit that Star Wars saved Marvel, while the X-Men certainly helped sustain Marvel.

• Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Awesome episode.

Star Wars #40 was the first comic I remember owning at age 5 or 6, purchased when my mother had a horseback riding accident and we were at the hospital with hours to wait between some visiting. (Not a serious injury, FWIW for anyone curious- she was fine.)

It was part 2 of the Empire Strikes Back adaptation, with AT-ATs on the cover. Awesome issue to get me started. I have it digitally but I haven't seen the issue available in back issue bins over the years much at all and if I have- it hasn't been "priced to move" for me. I'd like to have a copy again, but only for a reasonable price and if it's not in the cards, my digital copy and memories are enough.

As Chris mentioned- it's a cool series, I read issues here and there after that of that original Marvel series as a kid. Obviously I love the original trilogy of films, but I never read any of the DH stuff or novels.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Really liked all the Star Wars episodes. I have the first two Ominbuses that I've been meaning to read.

And I want to make sure I heard this correctly. But Lucas didn't care for Jaxson the Rabbit? He didn't care for a long eared alien meant to provide comic relief? Hmmmmmm
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    edited January 2016
    alienal said:

Nice episode, gents! While I was listening, the talk about how Marvel ended up making the original Star Wars comics made me recall an article I had just read in a 2013 issue of Star Wars Insider (Issue #140, pages 49-53) which I had just picked up for a dollar in the old magazine bin at my friend's comic shop here in Japan. Apparently there was a guy named Edward Summer also involved in the story. He was "hanging out" with George Lucas at the time, helping to organize the deals for the comics. He reveals that Lucas had indeed seen the "Iron Wolf" series that Chaykin was doing in Weird Worlds. It was the wooden ships in that series that Lucas really loved. Summer also stated that they had gone to Warren and DC first because at that time those two companies had the best graphics, Warren for it's stable of incredible artists, DC for it's color and reproduction. After Warren and DC turned them down, they went to Marvel because they "would publish anything" and the writing was always very good.

Ed Summer was the owner of Supernipe - one of the first (if not the first) comic shops in Manhattan. I was just googling about it lately, and it looks like Lucas was a silent partner in either Supersnipe, or the comic art gallery that was located adjacent to the comic shop.

I used to go to Supersnipe while in High School, and recall picking up the first 2 (or 3? I think 2) issues of the Star Wars comic off the racks there and then learning it was going to be made into a movie. So I went into the movie theatre to see "Star Wars" on opening day having already read 2/6 of the story in comic form (I think that took us to the exit from Tatooine), and then buying the last 4 issues of the adaptation in the following months as it came out.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Love all of the Star Wars stuff, guys! Great episode!

The first issue of Return of the Jedi was the first comic I ever remember having. Much like has been mentioned on the show, I read that comic several times until it was a shell of its former self. Obviously Star Wars is a huge influence in my life, so the Marvel run played into that. I have the omnibus editions from both Dark Horse and Marvel. I also recently got those recolorings done by Marvel recently of the original movie adaptations. And of course I have the Star Wars artifact edition that came out recently along with pre-ordering the Al Williamson artist edition. So, needless to say, I'm a big fan of this stuff....even at SuperShow years ago when you had Walt and Louise Simonson there, I had them sign a Star Wars issue they both worked on before they were married.

Loved all of the info and perspectives you gave on this series. If you guys ever want to do a Dark Horse Star Wars episode like you mentioned, let me know. I would love to participate in that, or at the very least, I would be happy to do all of the research and material for you guys to work if of to do the show. It would be my honor to put the hours into that to hear you guys do that episode. I currently own everything Dark Horse released in one form or another (whether in single issues it trades....currently working on getting everything I have only in trade format into the single issue version). I have read them all. Also loved how those comics would tie into the books being produced at the time (yep, have all of those also...have not read all of those yet though). Let me know if you'd like the help with an episode like that.

I have that amazing Adventures of Luke Skywalker collection that Chris talked about. It's a beautiful book, and I have had a few creators sign the inside cover that worked on stories featured in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    I was really surprised that no one mentioned Star Wars # 38, my favorite of the entire run.

It was a "filler" issue, which was made to fill in a gap in an emergency, and they used it for the month before the ESB adaptation started. It's a done-in-one, written by Archie Goodwin, with art by Michael Golden and Terry Austin! It is a work of art. To this point, no one had really brought the tie fighters, lightsaber battles, etc. to life like this. Seek it out.

• Options
    Nice art!! Michael Golden is a master and Austin is a great inker. I will check it out on Marvel Unlimited. I wish Golden had done more in the series. It would also have been interesting to see how some of the other artists in Marvel's bullpen could have done. I'm thinking Romita, Perez, Miller, and Byrne. Just as a tangent on Golden, I started reading The Nam, which looks great and is an interesting take on the war.