Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1591 Talkback - Previews

Previews is a many-splendoured thing! We go through the February catalog for items shipping starting in April. (1:39:59)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @Adam_Murdough @wildpigcomics with regards to Grayson I may be wrong, but believe Tom King has fully dropped off Grayson. Rumours are he is about to take over Batman when it moves to weekly and Snyder and Cappullo move to Detective. All part of these Rebirth rumours.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Great episode guys. I was really struggling this month with coming up with things to add to my list but Rough Riders and Joyride seem like they'll be worth a look.
  • Options
    @wildpigcomics, Read your Matt Kindt books already! As much as you enjoy the spy genre, I guarantee you will be glad you did. Also, 2 Sisters is one story, not a collection. Super Spy (my second-favorite of Matt Kindt's books after 3 Story) is a follow-up to 2 Sisters, but you don't need to read one to enjoy the other.

Supergirl in the 8th Grade was a decent little miniseries, but nothing special. My daughter liked it well enough, but nowhere near as much as Tiny Titans which coming out at the same time.

Re: Micronauts, no Bug + no Marionette = no interest on my part.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for the episode, Murd and Chris. I'll have to go online (probably on the DCBS site)to actually see the stuff you mentioned, but since I don't have a catalogue this month this episode really helps. I wasn't too happy with the audio on Chris's end. Maybe it was just Skype acting up. Also, at the end, the audio seemed to fade a bit for both of you? (Maybe it was just my iTunes?). I am interested in the "retro" feel of the Off the Rack selections this month: So I'm looking forward to Bloodlines, Micronauts, AND the Black Panther. Chris seems to have certain writers that he loves and he always gives them accolades or says they're the writer that he reads everything they write or whatever. What's funny to me is that there are so many of them (Vaughn, Aaron, Brubaker, Wood, Rucka, and I guess Tom King now...).
  • Options
    Also, Alain Mauricet is Belgian, so use the soft “c” and silent “t” when pronouncing his last name. I've known Alain for a few years now, back before he began doing work for DC. He's done a lot of work for Spirou, the famous Franco-Belgian weekly comics magazine, as well as several albums for Euro publishers.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2016
    And, hey, I was on that Miss/Ms. Fury episode of Comics With or Without Pulp with Matt. Click the link if you're interested in her history.

Also, re: Irwin Hasen, a funny, funny guy, his last name is pronounced HAYZ-en.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    alienal said:

I wasn't too happy with the audio on Chris's end. Maybe it was just Skype acting up. Also, at the end, the audio seemed to fade a bit for both of you? (Maybe it was just my iTunes?).

Nope. It sounds a lot like Chris's gain/volume was peaking compared to Adam's who's source volume level was set perfectly. It probably helps if someone is in the studio monitoring the levels to prevent it from being so unbalanced. Furthermore, Chris's Skype actually was really breaking up in the last 15 minutes or so. It was difficult to understand a lot of what he was saying in the back of the book. I realize they can't all be in the studio for every episode, but when they are and someone is productions, it's normally very sweet sounding.

Great discussions though. I added the Rough Riders to my list after listening.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

@Adam_Murdough @wildpigcomics with regards to Grayson I may be wrong, but believe Tom King has fully dropped off Grayson. Rumours are he is about to take over Batman when it moves to weekly and Snyder and Cappullo move to Detective. All part of these Rebirth rumours.

That is my understanding, with a couple of caveats. I believe that Batman is going to end up going bi-weekly, and Snyder will make the jump to Detective, but Capullo is not planning to stay tied to Snyder. We have been seeing a few more fill in issues on Batman art, and I wonder if Capullo is getting a bit burnt out. Also, I think Grayson will be cancelled here shortly, and a new Nightwing title will be brought back with Rebirth - we shall wait and see.

Overall, great episode. Agreed that Chris's audio went wonky the last 15 minutes. Tell those boys to stop using all the bandwidth on streaming Netflix or gaming! :) Just kidding. It sure would be nice to get a Previews with Pants, Dani and Shane as well. I like the diversity.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited February 2016
    One thing I don't think I heard Chris or Adam mention is Hope Larson's upcoming Goldie Vance four-issue miniseries from BOOM! Studios' BOOM! Box imprint. It's a Nancy Drew-type detective story set in a Florida resort town in the 60's. I was quite impressed with Hope Larson's adaptation of A Wrinkle In Time and am very excited about this book.

Also, while Chris and Adam did mention Dept. H, there is another Matt Kindt book solicited that I don't think I heard either of them mention. Poppy! And The Lost Lagoon. This book looks like a fun, all ages adventure story which is not something I normally associate with Kindt.