Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1592 Talkback - Off the Racks:Code Pru #1, The Legend of W.W. #1, and Spider-Man/Deadpool #1

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited February 2016 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Off the Racks is back on track! The Geeks are proud to present three timely reviews of comics whose content varies from the mythological (The Legend of Wonder Woman #1 from DC) to the demonological (Avatar's Code Pru #1) to the scatological (Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 from Marvel). But be warned: with fresher reviews come fresher SPOILERS! (1:12:35)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2016
    Re: the pronunciation of Ra’s al Ghul, not even Denny O’Neil seems to know. I've heard him pronounce it both ways—RAHS several years ago, and RAYSH more recently. RAHS is the common pronunciation in Arabic, which the name was taken from. But it was actually Julie Schwartz who came up with the name anyway, not Denny.
  • Options
    I heartily second Adam’s approval of Vision. It's been an excellent read.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Boy was I surprised to hear my name mentioned on this week's episode. By coincidence I just read issue #1 of Legend of Wonder Woman and I'm totally enjoying it. It will be great to own in one complete volume. Keep up the good work Adam!!
  • Options
    My understanding of Legend of Wonder Woman (my wife is reading it) is that it is an elseworlds story.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Great episodes and reviews. I am leaning more towards Dani on the Code Pru review than the guys on this one. Mostly for the tropes and the art, which were both a bit juvenile for my tastes.

Still noticing how loud Chris's audio is when compared to the in studio audio.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I think I will check out the Spider-Man/Deadpool in trade.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying "Legend of Wonder Woman." Definitely an "all ages" book. Nice, light-hearted story telling for the most part.

I was kinda "eh" about Spider-Man & Deadpool. The banter seemed, I don't know, forced, for lack of a better word.

Whole heartily agree with the comments about "The Vision." An excellent, excellent book.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Listening in progress:
    Spider-Man/Deadpool #1: BUYROW! It's the only one I read since I'm not a big Wonder Woman fan and the Code Pru didn't impress me in the Previews catalogue. I thought the artwork was okay. I was expecting the old-style McGuiness - the one he used as recently as the Red Hulk series -- and didn't get it! The jokes were okay...and I agree putting the brains into the heads of the Mindless Ones and the grenade mistake was funny. ***Potential Spoiler*** I was under the impression that the Dormammu wasn't the real Dormammu, but an actor or something? Eh, maybe not.
    Yes, Deadpool is in the Uncanny Avengers!
    Code Pru: Hmm, I know sometimes that writer's often dig stuff up from their early days of writing, polish it up and trot it out when they need new ideas. So, maybe Dani is right about it being before better stuff like Preacher.
    Legends of Wonder Woman: Well, the continuity issue that Dani brought up is interesting. These days, I don't think either DC or Marvel care that much about continuity compared to releasing product they think will sell. They try to sell the characters in addition to story, so sometimes you get issues like this one.
    The Vision story: Yeah, I would say it's the best Tom King I've read. Even better than Grayson for me. I think I should've voted it as best new series in the awards, but I didn't think of it.
    Black Magick! I find the story is interesting so far and I agree the art is great. Too bad I missed a couple of issues..
  • Options

I'm enjoying "Legend of Wonder Woman." Definitely an "all ages" book. Nice, light-hearted story telling for the most part.

Just read that when DC releases it as a TPB, it's going to be rated "E for everyone" which I think is definitely appropriate.
  • Options
    Dan_in_WIDan_in_WI Posts: 38
    edited February 2016
    I know it is still possible to for a forty something to go back and enjoy a silver age all ages story. So it should be possible to have all ages stories today to appeal to my age bracket.