Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1219 Talkback: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Topics of discussion include DC Comics' upcoming #0 issues, Batman: Odyssey, the Young Justice Season Finale, Marvel's Augmented Reality App, Batman: Night of the Owls and more. (1:16:11)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited April 2012
    I didn't even know you did TMNT vol. 1 as a BOTM selection. That's two different book of the months. And remind me not to try to Muddle the Mike. I figured at least somebody would know it was an early issue of X-Men and I kinda expected Murd to take an educated guess that would at least be in the ballpark, but the only reason I had the exact number was because I just (re-)read the issue in the first X-Men Masterworks, and I'm pretty good with my X-Men history.

And about Bernard the Poet. I don't think anything really "happened" to him. I think they just stopped using him and he faded away. And I didn't know he was in First Class at all (I've only read a handful of the Uncanny First Class issues, but want to read the rest because what I read I liked) so I looked it up and found out that the issue of First Class he was in revealed that he is a mutant with the ability to alter the perceptions of others when he reads his poetry.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/bernardthepoet.htm
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Bernard_the_Poet_(Earth-616)

• Options
    Magneto kept a factory!?!?
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    FYI: If you have Young Justice on a Season Pass on your tivo you may have to make an adjustment for season 2 which begins in a few days. The show is now listed as "Young Justice: Invasion" and I had to reset my dvr for that.
  • Options
    According to the Bleeding Cool article, the zero issues will only be for the surviving books of the original 52 so there would be no Earth-2 zero, Dial H zero etc. It also made a vague hint that there would be some big name guest creators on some of them.
  • Options
    I actually had to stop reading Batman Odyssey. Neal Adams is one of my heroes, and I was actually going to the LCS for the initial issues just to support the book, even though I was buying nothing else at the time. Every issue was so bad it diminished my view of Adams, and I had to quit. Some of the old style was still in evidence, and even when he appeared to be channeling Mort Drucker it was interesting. But the inconsistent art, absurd dialogue, weird characterization and the crackhead story were too much for me
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Some toy news connected to Young Justice (because someone has to talk toys, dag nabbit!) The Young Justice line has been dropped by retail, preventing fans from completing either the YJ or JLA teams in 3 3/4" or 6" format. Mattel is going to try and sell them online, but we'll see. So why is the line dead? Well, the line didn't sell well, so the retailers passed. Why didn't it sell? That's a tougher question. Certainly the delay in the airing of the episodes did not help keep the property in the minds of kids, parents, and adult collectors. However the price point was also a detractor ($10 @ 3 3/4" and upwards of $25 for the 6" in window boxed packaging). I suppose Pants can comment on how they've moved at his TRU.

So then how about the GL animated series? It doesn't have a toyline. Why? Because retailers passed on the concept of one all together. They took one look at the underwhelming GL movie toyline (which is still stinking up the isles) and said "thanks, but we're good"
  • Options
    Magneto kept a factory!?!?
    Those helmets don't make themselves, you know.
    16 hours
    ???? did I miss something?
    I actually had to stop reading Batman Odyssey. Neal Adams is one of my heroes, and I was actually going to the LCS for the initial issues just to support the book, even though I was buying nothing else at the time. Every issue was so bad it diminished my view of Adams, and I had to quit. Some of the old style was still in evidence, and even when he appeared to be channeling Mort Drucker it was interesting. But the inconsistent art, absurd dialogue, weird characterization and the crackhead story were too much for me
    I bought the first mini but haven't read it yet. It was something I wanted to pick up because of Adams' art, but one of the things that got me to pick it up sooner rather than later was hearing that the story was a complete train wreck and it got me curious. Am I the only one that isn't too fond of Neal Adams' coloring style? Or is it just a bias based on the way he recolored and George Lucased his classic work?
  • Options
    Am I the only one that isn't too fond of Neal Adams' coloring style? Or is it just a bias based on the way he recolored and George Lucased his classic work?
    Totally agree. Garish. I've been reluctant to pick up his DC reprint collections because of it, and I feel it drains the maturity out of his work.
  • Options
    Garish was actually the exact word I wanted to use, but I was afraid I was being a bit too harsh. But now you said it, not me, so it's OK lol.
  • Options
    bendoc55bendoc55 Posts: 14
    Shane,pretty sure Bruce Greenwood who voices Batman in Young Justice also did it in Batman:Under the Red Hood. Also another cool Canadian.
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited April 2012
    Here's a new video preview of Young Justice: Invasion featuring some of the team's new recruits.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=58490
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I was glad to hear Mike's feelings on the AR logo, and to know I am not the only person that finds those ugly things pasted over the art irritating.

I also agree with everyone that suggested that the best and smoothest integration of the AR content would be as a part of the digital comic. To have the option of drilling down for extras come up during a digital read, a la some of the special features integration on Blu-Rays, makes worlds more sense than trying to aim the camera of a mobile device at a printed funnybook. I think, even in a room by myself, I would feel ridiculous doing that.

Unfortunately, it seems clear to me that the whole idea of the AR, as well as the free digital copy included with a lot of the paper issues, are to recruit readers to become digital customers of Marvel, as well as users of their various apps and website, so their eyeballs will also see ads, and potentially might buy more comics and licensed goods, etc.

The AR nonsense is a recruiting tool in the guise of bonus content. It is an attempt to educate buyers of the paper comics how to start cutting out the brick and mortal middle man. And I resent having to have that campaign ugly up the pages I paid for.
  • Options
    Continuity coloring is too saturated and dark. It does look muddy sometimes. And they love green, brown, and purple.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    @KyleMoyer, 16 hours is a reference to the Young Justice finale.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Some toy news connected to Young Justice (because someone has to talk toys, dag nabbit!) The Young Justice line has been dropped by retail, preventing fans from completing either the YJ or JLA teams in 3 3/4" or 6" format. Mattel is going to try and sell them online, but we'll see. So why is the line dead? Well, the line didn't sell well, so the retailers passed. Why didn't it sell? That's a tougher question. Certainly the delay in the airing of the episodes did not help keep the property in the minds of kids, parents, and adult collectors. However the price point was also a detractor ($10 @ 3 3/4" and upwards of $25 for the 6" in window boxed packaging). I suppose Pants can comment on how they've moved at his TRU.

So then how about the GL animated series? It doesn't have a toyline. Why? Because retailers passed on the concept of one all together. They took one look at the underwhelming GL movie toyline (which is still stinking up the isles) and said "thanks, but we're good"
    See the Walmart in town just finally got in the Young Justice toys last month. But this store is always months behind on getting toys in. It really seems besides Transformers,Star Wars and WWE action figures it is hit or miss if they will get the other action figure lines. It wasn't until last October that they finally got in any of those Marvel Universe figures or the DCU line.
  • Options
    PSYCHED FOR YJ RETURN!!!!!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    About Snyder's Batman: I'm digging it but I don't think it's anywhere near as original as you guys seem to.

I guess you didn't read "R.I.P." or Morrison's run in general? What Snyder's doing reads like a streamlined version of that. The Court of Owls, with its links to Gotham's past and Wayne family history, seems really, really similar to Morrison's Black Glove organization. The Talons even look like a "Third Batman" character that Morrison created. Even the storybeats -- with Bruce being captured and drugged, with the bad guys invading Wayne Manor and running amok throughout Gotham -- almost seem lifted right from "R.I.P." I mean, overall it's a different story, but a LOT of aspects are really, really, really, really similar.

Maybe you guys just aren't aware of this or something, because I know some of you don't like Morrison. But when Jamie (I think it was Jamie) was saying something to the effect of "Why did no one ever think of this before?", I just had to say "Well, Morrison did think of it." The Black Glove was a secret society in Gotham; Bruce didn't want to believe it was real; and it tied into Gotham/Wayne history and changed things around a bit. I'm happy that Snyder is doing another similar story -- because it's awesome -- but it has been done before.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot to celebrate about Court of Owls. I'm loving it. And Capullo is a much better artist than the guy Morrison had to work with. I can also definitely see how Snyder's run seems to energize the fanbase. It's a relatively straightforward story that cuts to the chase and is just cool. Do I prefer Morrison's much more difficult, obscure story? Yes. But I can like what Snyder's doing on its own terms, and I will admit that it's better in certain ways.

I just think you guys are kind of exaggerating what it "is", though. I mean, at one point it seemed like you were saying that the only reason Red Hood & The Outlaws existed was because it was going to have a Night of the Owls tie-in. Do you realize that not all of the tie-ins are going to be as co-ordinated as the Nightwing issues? The rest of them are just going to be, well, the same thing as most of the "R.I.P." tie-ins: they'll just show the Bat-family tackling the secret evil group's minions throughout the city.

So, I mean, not to take anything away from Snyder. He's one of the best writers DC has right now and I read Batman first thing every week that it's out. But Snyder isn't the reason why there are so many Bat-titles. The popularity of BATMAN is the reason there are so many Bat-titles.

I'll get off my soapbox. Hope you guys don't take this comment the wrong way. It's not meant to be antagonistic.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Batman Odyssey SMH
  • Options
    I and Jamie have both said Why didn't they think of that before. What we were talking about was the Owls as villains. A bat's natural predator and no one did it before.
    And I AM a fan of Morrison. Yes he has been messing with the past for quite a while. Some changes/additions/clarifications came from batman and robin and the return of bruce wayne as well.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Batman Odyssey: oh, man. I got the first 3 issues and they were horrific to get through. My friend in Seattle is a big Neal Adams fan and when I showed him one of the issues he said, "Oh, the art is pretty good isn't it?" I looked at him like he was nuts. Anyway, I told him if you think it's good you can go ahead and buy it, but you won't enjoy the story. And like Mike implied, I don't like the coloring either.
    Well, I hope Batman: Night of the Owls lives up to the hype for me. I've enjoyed the story thus far, but I haven't thought it was THAT great. I think Batman and Robin is better.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I agree with Shane that doing the 0 issues seems gimmicky. I don't know why they're putting a break in the numbering. They can tell the stories that they want to tell and keep with the regular number flow. And instead of throwing in some origins and back stories now, I almost think that they should have started off with these stories, but I'll have to wait to see the actual issues before I can say much on that.