Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1594 Talkback - BOMC: Locke & Key, Vol. 1

By listener demand, the Geeks cross the threshold into supernatural horror, mystery, and adventure as they dare to review the first six-issue arc of Locke & Key, by acclaimed horrorsmith Joe Hill and master illustrator Gabriel Rodriguez. Eavesdrop with us on the trials and tribulations of the three Locke children, who take refuge in Keyhouse, their family's ancestral home, after the murder of their father. Will the hidden wonders of Keyhouse be enough to save the Lockes from sharing their father's fate? Vivid characters, fine-wrought suspense, and beautifully detailed artwork await you as you seek the answer--let this episode be your key! (1:41:02)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I haven't listened yet but I've been looking forward to this since you guys announced it. Locke & Key is by far one of the best comics I've ever read. I'm looking forward to what you guys have to say about it.
  • Options
    Ditto!! As for any errors committed by Adam, comedic or not, they are of course forgiven, sir! Look forward to listening!
  • Options
    Mod_PolybiusMod_Polybius Posts: 27
    edited March 2016
    They showed it at NYCC in 2010, I think (not positive about the year). I thought it was very good and very faithful to the book; I was disappointed it was not picked up by the network.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I'm about 23 min. from the end of the podcast.

I'd love to see the pilot- I have not seen it (and incidentally, I do work in TV for.. well, let's just say- I probably should have been able to see that pilot, and I might want to get my resume to @Julienae in the near future). I have heard it was excellent, so congrats on the fine work.. I'm sure I would love it if/when I get a chance to see it.

That aside, I am a huge fan of L&K and I hope you guys continue on reading it, if not producing additional BMOC episodes. I really think it's one of the very best comics I've ever read- from concept, plot to execution, it's really brilliantly done. I love how the creators succeeded so greatly in making the characters 3 dimensional through the many human moments they go through- that's rare in comics, and frankly rare in other entertainment too.
  • Options
    Julienae said:

Was so cool hearing the guys discuss L&K - I was fortunate enough to work on the (passed over by Fox) pilot w/writer Josh Friedman (Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles). I can tell you guys, I knew the comic inside out and was floored by how Josh, Joe, IDW, and director Mark Romanek were able to bring all the canon and "feel" of the book to the pilot. The reason Fox gave us for passing was "It's too scary." ... after getting notes to go ahead and make it scary, dark, etc... just like the book.

So IDW, Josh, the Producers and I were able to convince Fox to let us show it at SDCC one year. The reaction from the audience was essentially, "Well, crap. That would have been good." I'll never forget receiving the Blu-Ray DVD from Fox with all sorts of warnings not to release it and be kind rewind, you know the spiel. I think I lost a few nervous lives that day with all the pressure, but it was worth it.

Long story short, I will always feel that well of a hole in my heart where a Locke & Key TV series should have been, but know it's still possible as Joe has it in development for a feature and whatnot as we speak. Hope the Geeks read more of this series - it's worth it.

Now I'm curious, anyone on the boards seen the pilot (prob illegally, but alas)...?

I haven't seen the pilot but I did a Google image search for "Locke & Key Pilot."

There are more out there and I'm sure the actual video probably isn't that hard to find.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I do not see it... anywhere.
  • Options

I do not see it... anywhere.

The pilot?

It's been a long time since I tried to illegally download something but I'd be surprised if someone on Demonoid didn't have it.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. You're successfully making this "Marvel Man" less zombie-ish every week! I LOVED these six issues and plan to read the rest of the title immediately! Thank you! (And then it's on to Preacher!)
  • Options
    Just now listening. Great episode so far! A quick note on the cast of the TV pilot, which as I noted above was very good; you might remember Miranda Otto as Eowyn from Peter Jackson's LOTR films. For me at least she was the most recognizable of the actors. I agree that the art is great and it remains so throughout the series; I don't recall any fill ins. Rodriguez also did the art for the comic-book adaptation of the Beowulf film.