Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1602 Talkback - Off the Racks: The Discipline, The Infinity Entity, & Legends of Tomorrow

This Off the Racks episode is an elevator ride from the depths of depravity to the heady heights of cosmic contemplation, with stops at the middle floors for Housewares, Sporting Goods, Ladies' Lingerie, and Superhero Storytelling! Get off on Level 52 for the Geeks' reviews of Legends of Tomorrow #1 from DC, The Discipline #1 from Image, and The Infinity Entity #1 from Marvel, and more. Hey, hold the door...! (1:27:34)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for another great episode! I wasn't able to read any of these titles yet but I now know which one to stay away from!

Legends of Tomorrow actually scared me away by it's price but I'm glad to hear it was worth the money. I'll certainly be looking to pick it up in the future.

The Infinity Entity is something that I'll collect as a whole when the inevitable TPB comes out. During the episode Murd said this fits between the 2nd and 3rd of Starlin's "Infinity" hardcovers. For those completists, I'd also add Hulk vs Thanos to the overall story Starlin is currently telling. Hulk vs Thanos isn't actually very good, and I think the name is a bit misleading, but it does explore more of what Thanos, Pip the Troll, etc are up to.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited April 2016
    Legends of Tomorrow was the only one I read of these. Overall I gave it a buy.

Firestorm - Pants- weakest of the three by far here. Story didn't even seem coherent to me!
    Metamorpho - Buy- strong start here laying the groundwork for next issue, where it looks like we'll be getting some action scenes between the star and Java.
    Sugar and Spike - Buy Buy Buy- what the geeks said. Just a delight to read. Can't wait for more.
    Metal Men - Borrow- I was hoping for more here. But liked it well enough it made me chuckle and I'm interested to see where it goes from here. @Pants or @Adam_Murdough I forget who said it, but the Metal Men have already made there post Flashpoint debut... In a backup of Justice League. I think it was late teens, early 20s of the series they stared in a backup story and then into one of the arcs if I remember right. I remember really enjoying that at the time, and that made Metal Men the big draw of this book for me.

I'll be picking up #2 tomorrow.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Oh, and Bilquis Evely's art is always amazing...can't wait to see what she did here.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sorry to let you down, gang, but I'm not sure on the pronunciation of Bilquis Evely. But given that she's Brazilian, I would guess it would be pronounced something like: BEEW-kees ev-EL-ee. But that's just a semi-educated guess.

Glad to hear “Sugar and Spike” get such good reviews. That was the one that I had the highest hope for. I'm not sure I'll buy the book with only one or two features I want to read, but if they do a separate trade collecting just “S&S,” I'll be sure to get it.

Re: The Discipline, yeah, it was pretty awful. Like Chris, I like a lot of Milligan’s work, but this is probably the worst thing I've read by him for all the reasons Chris and Dani gave. It read very much like Milligan read too much of Guido Crepax’s work and tried to do his own take on it, and in some ways it’s also reflected in the art style. The art isn’t bad—certainly better than most of what I've seen from Fernández, and quite different from his Marvel work. Maybe that’s a result of him inking himself here, or maybe it’s him letting a little Crepax show in his work.

I tapped out on Starlin’s cosmic saga about a year into Warlock and the Infinity Watch. Not even Alan Davis artwork could bring me back. If I find this in a dollar bin, I may pick it up just to admire the art.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Just reading Legends of Tomorrow #2. Go out, buy it and read Sugar and Spike right now. So funny. So good!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited April 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

The Infinity Entity is something that I'll collect as a whole when the inevitable TPB comes out. During the episode Murd said this fits between the 2nd and 3rd of Starlin's "Infinity" hardcovers. For those completists, I'd also add Hulk vs Thanos to the overall story Starlin is currently telling. Hulk vs Thanos isn't actually very good, and I think the name is a bit misleading, but it does explore more of what Thanos, Pip the Troll, etc are up to.

@Mr_Cosmic - heads up, the Infinity Entity is now being solicited. I suggest you get your order in. It's only $7.49 at DCBS and includes all four weekly issues as well as Thanos Annual #1. It was originally solicited to include a special reprint of the first Warlock appearance, but that no longer seems to be the case.

https://www.dcbservice.com/product/apr161088/infinity-entity-tp-special-discount

And the Infinity Finale OGN mentioned in this discussion comes out at the end of this month - it's coming on my next DCBS shipment.

I've been a fan of Starlin's cosmic work for years and I hope one day the geeks will do a spotlight episode covering aspects of the Marvel cosmic. I know @Adam_Murdough and @wildpigcomics could certainly educate the uninitiated with their wealth of knowledge regarding this fascinating segment of the Marvel universe.

Really enjoyed the episode overall, especially @Dani's comments on The Discipline. Very good commentary from everyone on this one. Also very happy to hear @pants still at the producer helm. Really enjoyed Brian's excitement discussing the comics he enjoyed that weren't OTR picks. You could feel his glee describing Ralph and Sue in the Elongated Man series he'd recently read. More of this, please.

Loved it from start to finish.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Very good episode, folks! I agree about the Discipline #1 (PANTS!). I got about halfway through and started losing interesting, zoning out, and getting repulsed. Infinitely Entity was okay (BUYROW!) but I felt it was kind of decompressed fluff. Good for the art, but the story was out there, but I guess that's to be expected since it is cosmic subject matter. Like Dani, I started losing interest when I got to issue 3. And when I found out at the beginning that it wasn't the Adam Warlock I knew, I kind of disconnected anyway. I didn't read Legends of Tomorrow, but you guys made it sound interesting. Especially Sugar and Spike. Oh, I have a question: Didn't they appear in back-ups or something? I KNOW I read some of their comics, but I also know for sure that I didn't buy any specific Sugar and Spike comics. Aww, the Murd got muddled. I thought sure he was gonna pull one outta his butt like Abe Lincoln! Especially surprised that he hadn't read any of Strikeforce: Morituri. That was one of my favorites, though it was a bit depressing at times.