Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Darwyn Cooke Vs. Cancer

Darwyn’s wife, Marsha, has reported that Darwyn is receiving palliative care for an agressive form of cancer. I’ve known Darwyn and Marsha for a long time, and this is truly sucky news. I hope he can pull through, but it doesn't sound good.

Comments

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palliative_care

(Just in case, like me, you didn't know what that was.)

Hopefully he can pull through. I agree it doesn't sound good, but I'll keep my hopes and thought high for both Darwyn and his family.

#FuckCancer
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2016

Darwyn’s wife, Marsha, has reported that Darwyn is receiving palliative care for an agressive form of cancer. I’ve known Darwyn and Marsha for a long time, and this is truly sucky news. I hope he can pull through, but it doesn't sound good.

That is harsh news. Darwyn Cooke is the type of comic creator that the world needs more of.
    Sending good vibes his way.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Really sad news.

Fuck cancer.
  • I truly hate cancer. Very sad news.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I've lost count of how many friends and family members I've lost due to cancer. I can't believe that a cure has not been found by now. I'm not conspiracy guy, but I honestly believe that big pharma has it and is just holding us by the balls because they can. My Uncle Bobby went through this a few years ago, he passed just a few months or so before JamieD and I remember it as if it just happened.

Praying heavily for Darwyn and his family.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2016
    I hate cancer. :(

• Very sad! Wishing Darwyn and his family comfort at this time. I'm going to re-read some of his unique, outstanding body of work and hope for the best.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I just caught the announcement on his blog and was going to post about it. Glad to see the CGS community was already a step ahead of me.

Here's that aforementioned blog entry:
    http://darwyncooke.blogspot.com/2016/05/fuck-cancer.html
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited May 2016
    I hate the internet and all the speculation it stirs. I've never heard of this site, but I saw something last night about Cooke passing--all based on a tweet by Mike Allred--and they confirmed and then recanted. Anyway, if Cooke is still with us, I'm hoping for the best. Fuck cancer.

Breaking news comics writer artist legend Darwyn Cooke passes away after battle with cancer/

Edit: it appears that this site was attempting to scoop the story. I can't find it confirmed on any other site.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Dammit.

"We regret to inform you that Darwyn lost his battle with cancer early this morning at 1:30 AM ET. We read all of your messages of support to him throughout the day yesterday. He was filled with your love and surrounded by friends and family at his home in Florida.

Donations can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society and Hero Initiative.

Please continue to respect our privacy as we go through this very difficult time.

A longer statement will come later today.

“Then we shall not be weary. Then we shall prevail.” -- John F. Kennedy’s New Frontier speech"

From his blog Almost Darwyn Cooke
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    He was amazing. And gone far too soon.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Firstly, #Fuck Cancer. My younger brother Michael died of cancer in 2012.

Secondly and I apologise if this takes us off-topic (mods, please delete or farm off into another thread if appropriate). I am a doctor and I cannot understand the big pharma conspiracy theory. Cures for cancer would make big pharma billions.

The truth is that cancer is not a single disease entity, it is a many, many headed hydra. We can slay some of its heads already, the rest will come with more research. One day we will be able to cure cancer in all its forms. We can help bring that day a tiny bit closer by donating to cancer research.

In the UK I have a Justgiving for Cancer Research UK page linked to my new 2000AD podcast here:
    https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/megacitybookclub

In the US I assume the American Cancer Society fulfills a similar role
    http://www.cancer.org

In the meantime rest in peace Darwyn Cooke, a true comic book artist of the highest order.

• LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Just gutted by this news. Always hoped I'd get to meet him at a con, thank him for the work, shake his hand, and hope the tiniest molecule of retro-cool rubbed off on me. :smile:

Thank you, Mr. Cooke. And a big ol' fuck you, cancer.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    This makes me very sad. A gifted story teller and artist.
  • HexHex Posts: 944
    My good neighbour was an old friend of Mr. Cooke's. Her daughter was interested in comics and my neighbour asked me if I could recommend some books. During our conversation it came up that her old college pal was in the comics industry and it turns out it was Darwyn Cooke. I dug out some of his work to share with her and she shared some good stories about hanging out with Darwyn, "back in the day".
    I told her the news about Darwyn's passing yesterday. Cancer sucks.
  • hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I followed Cooke's blog so I knew what was happening.. I've been reading this thread and trying to collect thoughts- It is difficult. Darwyn Cooke was a special talent, and I am a committed fan. 2016 is a year where I'm getting way too used to thinking about artists I admire passing away and reflecting on how their work touched me.

As with many others- his work, to me, is a gift, and like so many other amazing talents lost in the past few years, the experience of reacting to their passing is almost like receiving one final gift. You hear the news, and then review all of the works that you love and everything that made that artist so special to you, and often even find new things that you appreciate.

Anyway, I know there are probably many tributes to read, but I just read an article that said it all better than I ever could.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-darwyn-cooke-was-one-of-the-best-comics-artists-of-1776872466

What a talent, and I'm so glad he was able to share those talents. One of the greats.