Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1607 Talkback - Comic Talk

In which the premature passing of Darwyn Cooke is marked and mourned by the Geeks; the new logo of DC Comics is analyzed by a professional graphic designer (and two mere laymen); a Murd is Muddled; and idle chatter is exchanged on the subject of comics recently read. Listen in good health! (1:19:06)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Talking about Darwyn original art, I have one piece from him, a page from an Ant-Man short story he did, which my buddy Mike Manley, who inked the story, gave me. It’s probably his least known work, but like everything he did, it was a really fun story. I really need to get that page framed.

I knew Darwyn, though not nearly as well as many others. I probably spoke more with him on the phone than I did in person. But he was a very generous and genuine person. He had his problems, but they were far outweighed by his positives, and his work speaks for itself.

As for the DC logo, I'll repeat some of what I said on another thread: I think the change is more about looking better small—as in as an icon on a smart phone. The old bullet was great for the time, but if Glaser was designing it today, he'd have different factors to consider. That bullet is harder to read the smaller it gets. It looks great in print at an inch tall, but make it a quarter-inch tall and it’s practically illegible.

I think this new logo has lots of problems, and I agree with most of @Dani’s criticism of it. It's simply not bold enough. And I love negative space, but there’s too much negative space there. The smaller you make it, the better it looks, and it should look pretty good as a phone icon. But, yeah, it's going to look terrible on-screen as it is.

I also agree with Dani on Lumberjanes. I'm a few months behind, but it’s a ton of fun. I was sad when Noelle left the book, but the other writers have picked up the reins capably. As for Spider-Gwen, I started with the first issue and skipped all the Spider-Verse stuff that set the world up. They do a OHOTMU style entry at the end of each issue, and that helped me catch up pretty quickly. Not sure if they’re included in the trades though.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

As for the DC logo, I'll repeat some of what I said on another thread: I think the change is more about looking better small—as in as an icon on a smart phone. The old bullet was great for the time, but if Glaser was designing it today, he'd have different factors to consider. That bullet is harder to read the smaller it gets. It looks great in print at an inch tall, but make it a quarter-inch tall and it’s practically illegible.

I do like how it looks when it is small.
  • Options

Which, the new logo or the 1976 bullet?
  • Options
    Fun, laid back episode. It was interesting to hear Danni's thoughts on the new logo from a graphic designer perspective. One of my co-hosts is also a graphic designer and also did not like the new logo. He disliked the last one, but it grew on him over time. Much in the same way it did me slightly. We agreed that it's use in other media, coupled with the animation within the logo, was what really helped it improve. I like the new one better than the peel away, if only because it is less obtrusive and the negative space allows the art it is placed on to show through. I do agree that it has room for improvement. I am curious if Danni saw any of the images online where others have manipulated the new logo. I saw some designs that dded stars that I thought helped out a lot. Also there was an image where the circle was outlined in black, which I also thought looked much better. Similar to Danni's own change of increasing the thickness of the circle, I suspect.

Anyway, thanks for finally getting around to my Muddle the Murd. I was surprised that I was successful. I thought Murd would get the Rom question for sure, after poking around in that fabulous brain of his. I am greatly looking forward to all thoughts on DC Rebirth, as well as the Preacher BOMC. If it is indeed a large cast of geeks that show up to record that episode my glee will only be heightened!
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Which, the new logo or the 1976 bullet?
    The new logo.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Just starting to listen and I'm hearing Danni's perspective on the new logo and she's been more or less saying what I've been saying. I'm also a graphic designer although I do more production work and the thing couldn't agree with her more with is the constant changing of the logo. The overall design itself isn't bad. I'm not a huge fan of the font overall and it almost seems like they made a custom font or took a serif font and tweaked it a bit. It's okay but not completely impressive. The thing that bothers me and worries me more than anything is the fact that they constantly rebrand themselves.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Ah, the Tremendous Trio manning the show this time (Pants, Danni, and Murd). Yeah, that Slam Bradley back-up in Catwoman is what got me into Darwyn Cooke. I had bought a random issue of Catwoman that was right in the middle of that back-up story and had to get the rest!
    I'm with Pants, I don't really care about the new DC logo that much, I just hope they do well...at least better than they've been doing. On the other hand, I can see Danni's points. It does look a little wonky.
    Oh, sorry to hear Murd got muddled. I would've thought he'd get that ROM Spaceknight one. I mean if he got that 'Abraham Lincoln' one...
    Lumberjanes? I've heard good stuff about it, but it's not within the power of my budget to get it. Same goes for Gotham Academy. Spider-Gwen? I liked the first couple of issues, but like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, when they re-started again with a new #1, I'd had enough. I also liked it's companion Silk, but when they kept taking Stacey Lee off the title, I dropped it. I vaguely remember enjoying reading a couple of those T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents issues, but I don't know where they are now. The Vision? Very consistent and really makes you want to read the next issue. I just got #6 in the mail a couple of weeks ago, but since I read alphabetically, I won't get to it for a few days.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Lumberjanes Spoiler alert:

Odd that no one mentions the LGBT emphasis in Lumberjanes. They just keep saying it's "perfect" for little girls. Why do fans of this book rarely mention the LGBT theme? The stories are heartwarming at their core and would be a fine entry point to comics for LGBT youth. Do we not want everyone to know about it?

• Options
    edited May 2016

Odd that no one mentions the LGBT emphasis in Lumberjanes. They just keep saying it's "perfect" for little girls. Why do fans of this book rarely mention the LGBT theme? The stories are heartwarming at their core and would be a fine entry point to comics for LGBT youth. Do we not want everyone to know about it?

To be honest, I don’t even think of the book that way. I just think it’s a great book—for girls and boys, young and old. And the LGBT elements aren’t really a theme of the book per se, it’s just part of who some of the characters are. The stories aren't about being LGBT, they’re about friendship and adventure and mystery.

And frankly, I would prefer people read the book with no preconceived notions, and not thinking of it as “A Book for LGBT Girls.” I don’t want it to become pigeon-holed as “that book is for them, not for me,” as people are wont to do with things.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

To be honest, I don’t even think of the book that way. I just think it’s a great book—for girls and boys, young and old. And the LGBT elements aren’t really a theme of the book per se, it’s just part of who some of the characters are. The stories aren't about being LGBT, they’re about friendship and adventure and mystery.

And frankly, I would prefer people read the book with no preconceived notions, and not thinking of it as “A Book for LGBT Girls.” I don’t want it to become pigeon-holed as “that book is for them, not for me,” as people are wont to do with things.
    Seriously Eric? You don't notice the LGBT themes a bit? Or that no one seems to mention that is a particular through line for this series? While the writers and artists are certainly often subtle, the fact that increasingly every issue deals with some facet of the LGBT issue is starting to make the book feel a little "preachy". First Molly and Mal became a couple, great, it's the 21st century. Then Jo was revealed to be transgender. Then you see that something more than friendship is going on between the camp councilor Rosie and her pal Abigail. Then the Lilith Fair-style concert organized by Merwomyn featuring tattoos, piercings, and PDA everywhere. You still don't see a theme?

It's not that a book like Lumberjanes shouldn't have these themes present, or that the creative team isn't talented, but the steady drumbeat, nearly every issue, is beginning to feel like the authors have an agenda they're pushing. Are there any straight relationships mixed into the group? Or is it just a man-less feminist daydream adventure here? And with it being a series that takes place in a sleepover camp for young 'Girl Scout' types, it occurs to me that it might be a bit problematic that a book aimed at kids puts such a strong emphasis on the sexuality of the characters. Your mileage obviously varies.

My point is that proponents appear to think that this theme isn't worth mentioning. Sometimes I believe that's intentional. You may consider that a compliment, or that it "shouldn't be necessary" or that it might "pigeon-hole" it, but I think it not only is a disservice an under-served demo (LGBT youth) NOT to highlight it, but that kind of face value disclosure might benefit protective parents who aren't quite certain their kids are ready for such themes, which might also be considered a disservice to them.

Just two cents. Don't shoot.

• Options
    edited May 2016

Seriously Eric? You don't notice the LGBT themes a bit? Or that no one seems to mention that is a particular through line for this series? While the writers and artists are certainly often subtle, the fact that increasingly every issue deals with some facet of the LGBT issue is starting to make the book feel a little "preachy". First Molly and Mal became a couple, great, it's the 21st century. Then Jo was revealed to be transgender. Then you see that something more than friendship is going on between the camp councilor Rosie and her pal Abigail. Then the Lilith Fair-style concert organized by Merwomyn featuring tattoos, piercings, and PDA everywhere. You still don't see a theme?

It's not that a book like Lumberjanes shouldn't have these themes present, or that the creative team isn't talented, but the steady drumbeat, nearly every issue, is beginning to feel like the authors have an agenda they're pushing. Are there any straight relationships mixed into the group? Or is it just a man-less feminist daydream adventure here? And with it being a series that takes place in a sleepover camp for young 'Girl Scout' types, it occurs to me that it might be a bit problematic that a book aimed at kids puts such a strong emphasis on the sexuality of the characters. Your mileage obviously varies.

My point is that proponents appear to think that this theme isn't worth mentioning. Sometimes I believe that's intentional. You may consider that a compliment, or that it "shouldn't be necessary" or that it might "pigeon-hole" it, but I think it not only is a disservice an under-served demo (LGBT youth) NOT to highlight it, but that kind of face value disclosure might benefit protective parents who aren't quite certain their kids are ready for such themes, which might also be considered a disservice to them.

Just two cents. Don't shoot.

I'm eight or nine issues behind on the book. (I'm up to date on a very small handful of titles, and over a year behind on some, but on average I'm about eight issues behind on most of what I read. I tend to catch up through binge-reading one or two titles every few weeks. That’s the life of a freelancer with a family and a day job.) So where I am in the series, the LGBT elements are very much in the background, and have been since issue #1. So I won't speak to most of your comments until I get caught up.

As to your last paragraph, I think comics—particularly indie comics—are best served in the long run by their audience finding them, rather than by actively trying to seek out a specific audience. So I don't blame the publisher for not playing up the LGBT aspects. And maybe you don’t run in the same circles I do, but I see plenty of people on Facebook (and the shared links I see there) talking about the LGBT elements of Lumberjanes.

As far as benefiting protective parents, I believe (and I think you’ve expressed this opinion as well) that it’s ultimately the parents’ responsibility to screen what their children are exposed to. Let them read it for themselves and decide, rather than dismiss it out of hand based on what someone else says.

Sidenote: I'm of the opinion that kids can handle a lot more than most parents think. I believe that more often than not it’s much less about what kids are ready to be exposed to than it is what their parents are ready or willing [Edit: or able] to explain. But that’s neither here nor there.
  • Options
    I've found it to be less the case that it is ever mentioned. And since few parents review their kids comics and the artwork is quite child-like, I can see it potentially an issue. What particularly struck me about the agenda feeling to the book at this point, is that these themes are obfuscated intentionally.

I apologize for spoiling some of the story elements without better warning on that second post.
  • Options

I've found it to be less the case that it is ever mentioned. And since few parents review their kids comics and the artwork is quite child-like, I can see it potentially an issue. What particularly struck me about the agenda feeling to the book at this point, is that these themes are obfuscated intentionally.

I apologize for spoiling some of the story elements without better warning on that second post.

Again, we probably have different circles of friends and acquaintances. It's not like I see Lumberjanes get talked about every day, or even with every issue that's released. It just pops up every few months, but when it does, the people in my circle who follow the book usually mention something about the LGBT aspects.

I'm not about to say the LGBT aspects of the book are intentionally obfuscated. Obfuscated by whom exactly? The publisher? The creators? Every reviewer on the internet? I don’t think there’s any grand conspiracy at play here. If Boom! Is downplaying it, they are probably doing so to keep the book from being labelled. They certainly want the book to reach as large an audience as possible. I follow Noelle Stevenson, but not the current writers, so I can't say if they're talking about it or not. Regardless, how could Boom! and the creators stop people from discussing it even if they wanted to?

No worries about the spoilers. It doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    You certainly run with some well versed and high level players in the comic medium so I'm certain we aren't getting the same level of reaction, review, or response. Not trying to diminish the value or beauty of the book. Just a different take on the publicity of it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

since few parents review their kids comics

I must be one of those crazy, over protective parents who reads, listens, and watches everything(or at least reads trusted reviews) before handing it off to my kids.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I must be one of those crazy, over protective parents who reads, listens, and watches everything(or at least reads trusted reviews) before handing it off to my kids.

That's just crazy talk.

My youngest is 16 years old. The age of consent is upon me.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

We are very protective when it comes to what our kids put out about themselves on the internet and who they communicate with there, but as far as books, TV, movies, etc., we're a lot more lax than most parents probably are. There are limits, of course, but my 10-year-old daughter has read Stephen King for instance. But we have a very open dialogue with them about anything they happen to be curious about, and they know they can ask us anything and not get a BS response. Like Schoolhouse Rocky always said, “’Cause knowledge is power!”

I read and watched a lot of books (and magazines, if you know what I mean) and movies that by most standards I shouldn’t have when I was a kid, so I don’t stress out over it. Again, we have boundaries, they’re just pretty wide.
  • Options
    AlpinemapsAlpinemaps Posts: 20
    Just finished listening to the episode.

That was a great Muddle the Murd. Not because Murd got muddled, but because those were very well written questions. So thank you submitter, for writing questions that IMO, were well suited for Muddling the Murd.

Regarding the DC logo talk - I like the logo a lot. I'm happy with it. I feel like, in the comic book world, concerns about branding and rebranding aren't really a concern. How often do we see other graphic elements in this medium change or get modified? I agree that in other industries it's a concern when you rebrand yourself often, but I don't think that's the case in comics.

I will admit that I don't normally agree with Danni. Sorry Danni, it's nothing personal. I will say that I didn't find your comments about the logo negative in the slightest. As a professional cartographer, I'm often asked about the design of maps. You just can't turn off the brain, and separate "professional" from "opinion" when you are a professional. I was happy to hear your take on the design of the DC logo. So, thank you for giving your professional opinion.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Talking about Darwyn original art, I have one piece from him, a page from an Ant-Man short story he did, which my buddy Mike Manley, who inked the story, gave me. It’s probably his least known work, but like everything he did, it was a really fun story. I really need to get that page framed.

Was that the one from that issue of Marvel Double Shot or something? I remember reading this a long time ago, it was a lot of fun.

IIRC, the same issue had a story where Franklin Richards asked Reed about God... it went to some very interesting (in a good way) discussions about the nature and balance of science and religion, especially considering how much crazy science and all-powerful deities take up real estate in the Marvel Universe. :smile:
  • Options

Was that the one from that issue of Marvel Double Shot or something? I remember reading this a long time ago, it was a lot of fun.

IIRC, the same issue had a story where Franklin Richards asked Reed about God... it went to some very interesting (in a good way) discussions about the nature and balance of science and religion, especially considering how much crazy science and all-powerful deities take up real estate in the Marvel Universe. :smile:
    Yes, that was the series. To be honest, I don't remember what the other story was. I'd have to pull out the issue to remember. I only bought it for the Darwyn Cooke story. I bought any and every book he worked on.