Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1608 CGS Special Edition: DC Universe Rebirth #1

luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
edited May 2016 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Extra! Extra! Hear all about the Geeks' reactions to the brand-redefining deluxe 80-page special DC Universe: Rebirth #1, recorded on said special's day of release! The joy! The tears! The hope! The skepticism! The theories! The RIOS!! If you listen to only one episode of Comic Geek Speak today, it MUST be this one! (1:26:55)

Listen here.

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited May 2016
    Great show so far. And exciting to get it so soon.

One tiny thing for @Adam_Murdough - I wouldn't put it past them to have Jason Todd be Diana's twin brother. But I am hoping that the twin is an entirely new character. And that his name was chosen for the roots Jason has in Greek Mythology rather than the roots it has in the DCU.
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    I WAS RIGHT!!!!

There's always a Flash. Wish I'd put money down on that.

But Watchmen being behind the missing time...that's...uh...well...hrm...
  • Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    edited May 2016
    David_D said:

One tiny thing for @Adam_Murdough - I wouldn't put it past them to have Jason Todd be Diana's twin brother. But I am hoping that the twin is an entirely new character. And that his name was chosen for the roots Jason has in Greek Mythology rather than the roots it has in the DCU.

A definite possibility as well, David, especially if the identity of Wonder Brother is left entirely up to Greg Rucka. But it's been much more the M.O. of DC to tie in reveals like this to pre-existing DCU characters (sometimes unconvincingly) to get a rise out of the fans.
  • DarthDelRioDarthDelRio Posts: 18
    edited May 2016
    I think the theory of Jason Blood being Wonder Woman's brother mentioned on the show sounded real likely. If you notice on the 2 page spread at the end of the book of all the characters Etrigan the Demon is in the background. I haven't read anything about him showing up in any other book and most of the other characters depicted have a tie with another book.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I thought the issue was great and it has me jazzed to read a lot of these stories. I'm happy I went all in on the DCBS bundles...hopefully I'll still be saying that in a few months.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Just a note from us here in the UK to DC.
    You do realise this is just going to make HIM even more angry don't you?

DC = Don't Care
  • Where can we find the CGS Tumblr Peter mentions about the Behind The Scenes stuff? I looked on Tumblr but I don't see it.
  • PantsPants Posts: 567

Where can we find the CGS Tumblr Peter mentions about the Behind The Scenes stuff? I looked on Tumblr but I don't see it.

comicgeekspeak.tumblr.com/

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Pants said:

Where can we find the CGS Tumblr Peter mentions about the Behind The Scenes stuff? I looked on Tumblr but I don't see it.

comicgeekspeak.tumblr.com/

Thanks @pants!
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

David_D said:

A definite possibility as well, David, especially if the identity of Wonder Brother is left entirely up to Greg Rucka. But it's been much more the M.O. of DC to tie in reveals like this to pre-existing DCU characters (sometimes unconvincingly) to get a rise out of the fans.
    True. I think I that Diana and Jason Todd being twins would be ridiculous and a stretch, but, I also agree with you that there is plenty of precedent to also make me not put it past them.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm old enough to have remembered Barry pre-COIE, but he just never did a lot for me and at that point I was still in my Marvel Zombie period, anyway. At that point, I always thought the most interesting thing he ever did was die. My opinion has since changed a lot, but I still consider Wally to be my Flash, as he's who was in the role when I finally gave the concept another shot, and it was especially during the Mark Waid run on the book that he became one of my favorite DC characters.

His absence from the New 52 was one of my biggest problems with it, so seeing his return here made me very, very happy indeed... even if we lose the Linda Park stuff because I loved how Waid developed their relationship (but the whole thing where they aged and had kids, yeah, that made them problematic to use, I get that). As the caption boxes slowly began to change colors I was hoping that was who we'd see was speaking, so I marked out big time when he finally made the scene.

This goes a long way toward making DC feel like DC again.
  • reddogreddog Posts: 2
    Hi Geeks, I enjoyed the show, but I had a question about something that was left unexplained. I was wondering what the connection or maybe the similarities between the book and the TV shows?
  • luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    reddog said:

Hi Geeks, I enjoyed the show, but I had a question about something that was left unexplained. I was wondering what the connection or maybe the similarities between the book and the TV shows?

I think you might be referring to the initial announcement of Rebirth when there was some mention of a connection between the two. I don't recall if that was rumor, speculation, or official... anyone?
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781

reddog said:

I think you might be referring to the initial announcement of Rebirth when there was some mention of a connection between the two. I don't recall if that was rumor, speculation, or official... anyone?
    They're referring to the catalyst of The New 52, which has a lot in common with the last scene of The Flash season finale. Don't wanna spoil it for those who still haven't watched it, but I think you can figure it out from that info.