Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1613 Talkback - Comic Talk

Bryan Deemer (yes, THAT Bryan Deemer!) weighs in on DCU: Rebirth #1. Murd and Pants recap their trip to Heroes Con 2016. Bryan, Murd, and Chris swap true tragic tales of water damage. Pants sings the Collection Reorganization Blues... with a descant singing the praises of Brian K. Vaughan! Oh, those Geeks--what WON'T they squeeze into a Comic Talk episode? (1:18:33)

Listen here.

Comments

• Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    Speaking of Heroes Con, I went to Matt Kindt's panel. Completely enjoyable.
  • Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    By the way @Adam_Murdough, I sent "Josh" a message. LOL! Sorry I missed talking to you at this year's Heroes.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited June 2016
    Great to have Bryan on the episode!

Glad Pants and Murd had a good, safe trip to Heroes Con.

I've never had a bunch of my comics ruined by water but I did have some figures(still in the package) rained on once. I feel for Bryan and his water disaster. We had an upstairs toilet overflow when I was a kid but thankfully people were home before too much damage was done..although we did end up with a water filled light fixture.

I can't imagine having a collection that is as large as the one Pants has. Of course there are people who have even more than that. I got to the point this summer where I decided I had too many long boxes(10! ha!). I went through them and decided which ones meant little or nothing to me and sold them on Craig's List. I had a guy from about 100 miles away come and buy them not even knowing what was in the boxes. Not suggesting Pants needs to sell his books but I'm just saying I think we all reach a point where our collections become daunting to us.

Anyways, thanks for the fun episode!

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Comic TALK!!! With 100% more Deemer!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    As always, it was great seeing you guys again. Saturday night dinner was great as well, even if we didn't really see each other there until after the dinner was over, being at opposite ends of the table. And it was great seeing @WetRats there (and on the show floor) too.

As for the Inkwell Awards and no Best Inker category at the Eisners, we discussed this after the Best of 2015 Nominations episode, so I won’t reiterate all that here.

For my money, Vision, Silver Surfer, Power Man & Iron Fist, and Undefeatable Squirrel Girl are all better than Dr. Strange, but that’s it at Marvel.

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited July 2016
    Ahhhhh Steranko. It's been a while. Missed that one of a kind Deemer charm; don't mess with The Founder, or you might get burned! Glad the house is all dried out, @brydeemer, and that not much was damanged in your water slide, @Adam_Murdough.

As for the Inkwell Awards, it's sad how often inking gets overlooked these days, but I understand the low turnout. Single serving award shows don't work as well with comics since so much goes into making a page look right. But I'm still glad the Inkwells exist, as inkers definitely deserve their due and their accolades.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    @brydeemer's experience with Steranko is definitely not unique, but it seems like a pile-on to mention my own dealings with the legend himself. Like @wildpigcomics said, I must separate the man from his creations. I already find enough to complain about, apparently :)

Great episode guys. Always enjoy these timely episodes and your fondness for comics. The jovial banter between you guys is infectious. Kudos to your continued and consistent efforts, they don't go unnoticed!

• BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    One of my favorite parts of CGS podcasts is hearing that gasp of ecstasy Chris lets loose whenever something he loves is mentioned. I'm not even done with episode #1613, and already he's given us some great ones! :joy: Makes me laugh
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Yeah, I like hearing the Chris Gasps also. Quite funny! Nice to hear the Deemer again. I especially loved him and the guys doing Marty's Back to the Future soda pop shop conversation. Wow, Pant's enthusiasm is like coming right through my speakers! It's awesome. And Pants' collection...wow....I like Bryan's comic organizing party idea. Oh, and you guys mentioned Tiz, so if he's not connected to Fan Expo, will he still go? And speaking of that, how about a new Uncle Sal episode!?!
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763

One of my favorite parts of CGS podcasts is hearing that gasp of ecstasy Chris lets loose whenever something he loves is mentioned.

Pants: "... and I came across my copy of the 1st trade of Y: The Last Man."

Chris: "Unnnnh ...."