Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1614 Talkback - Spotlight on The Mighty Thor in the Silver Age

Whosoever downloads this podcast, if they be worthy, shall possess the knowledge of... Thor in the Silver Age! Chris Eberle spins the titanic tale of how Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and friends permanently expanded the definition of what superhero characters and stories could be, by incorporating the ancient mythology of the Norsemen into the modern mythology of Marvel Comics. Hearken to the origins of Marvel's Mighty Thor, his fabled homeland of Asgard, and his friends, foes, and family, and wonder at his earliest adventures, which take him from the streets of New York to the furthest reaches of space! Cosmic grandeur awaits! (3:02:02)

Listen ye here!

Behold ye also the video version!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Verily I say unto thee, thou hast brought forth a most worthy episode!
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Haven't listened to it yet, but ... 3 hours? Wow. Thank you, gentlemen. Truly.
  • Options
    I went and skimmed through the youtube video to see some of the images. I had to laugh when Chris asked Murd about his cookie. They're all laughing and Pants is doing this "Keep it moving!" motion with his hand..too funny.
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    Only about an hour into the episode, but in case anyone was wondering, during the Asgardian Wars storyline, Loki made a special hammer just for Storm to transform her into the 'Goddess of Thunder', so she did not lift Thor's hammer at that time.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    Thanks to @Adam_Murdough's comments on Enchantress, I've had this stuck in my head since last night.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k80nW6AOhTs
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited July 2016
    And to answer @wildpigcomics' inquiries on Ragnarok, it did indeed strike back in the 2000's, during Avengers: Disassembled. This is what led to Thor's "death", and the use of good ol' Clor during Civil War.

You guys were half right about it happening at the conclusion of the original series, as at the time Marvel was using their dual numbering scheme; both the main number since relaunch, and the original numbering for the title, appeared on the cover in the info box.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Re: Kirby Silver Age original art, there’s more of it out there than you might think. A lot of that stuff walked out of the office and ended up in the private collections of people who are hesitant to put that stuff up for auction or sell it to a dealer because it should have been in the office and been returned to the artist once Marvel established that policy. Which was the case with Amazing Fantasy #15, and why the “donor” of the artwork remained anonymous. Now that those guys are starting to die off, I think you’ll see more of it start to surface—at least if you’re in the loop of high-rolling original art collectors. It might take a generation or two before much of it is seen by the public eye.
  • Options
    @Adam_Murdough, I too had the Xanadu soundtrack when I was a lad. I’ve never seen the movie, so I’m not really sure why I had the album. And I rarely listened to Side 1, but I listened to Side 2—which had the ELO tracks—quite a bit.
  • Options
    I don’t know too much about Robert Bernstein. He started writing for comics probably before World War II, but definitely by 1945, and he worked with a lot of different publishers, including DC, Fawcett, St. John, Lev Gleason, Quality, EC, and of course Marvel. He wrote in every genre: text pieces, westerns, crime, horror, war, and superheroes, often under the name “Robert Berns” or “Burns.” His last credited story appeared in 1980, though that very likely was an inventory story. More likely he hung it up around 1975-76.

He was also a playwright, and a very successful concert organizer, which he did alongside his comic-book writing career.
  • Options
    “The more and the harder you hit him, the bigger he will grow.”

That’s what she said.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited July 2016
    Perhaps one of you can help me out with this and tell me what issue this is from.
    My first strong memory of Thor was in an issue featuring Odin on earth fighting members of the Egyptian Pantheon. I remember a beautiful John Buscema splash page with Odin fighting an Egyptian god, swinging a car by the rear bumper. Beautiful stuff!
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

Perhaps one of you can help me out with this and tell me what issue this is from.
    My first strong memory of Thor was in an issue featuring Odin on earth fighting members of the Egyptian Pantheon. I remember a beautiful John Buscema splash page with Odin fighting an Egyptian god, swinging a car by the rear bumper. Beautiful stuff!

Could this be it?

http://peerlesspower.blogspot.com/2014/05/humble-pipe.html?m=1
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Good job...wow 3 hours. I thought it was interesting that at the end Chris mentions issue 173 with Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime when their previous (and perhaps better!)appearance was in 146. Plus I think the 170's was the Kirby "phase-out" period (like issue numbers in the 90's in the FF) and he was kinda just drawing single issue stories with very few subplots.
  • Options
    I've never been a big Thor fan, but you guys always make these spotlights fun to listen to. Far and away my favorite line of the spotlight was from Chris, "Odin's a dick, man!"
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    Even the Thor letters pages were entertaining. For example, take this gem from The Hammer Strikes, the letters page from Journey Into Mystery #121 (1965). A lad named George Tsakiris from New York loved reading the adventures of Thor...but didn't quite get the "Neverending Battle" aspect of the superhero's life. Let's check out George making the case for Thor to get a day off once in awhile, followed by Smilin' Stan's playful reply of mock exasperation:

Cheee! Yeah, Stan had a good point there. Though George's heart was undoubtedly in the right place, I don't think the world was quite ready for a special All-Napping issue of Thor!

Of course, with the slow-moving, "decompressed" storytelling that defines today's comics, maybe George (if he's still reading comics) finally got his wish for relaxed, action-free superhero stories.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    Great job once again guys.. I'm a Thor fan but as with most characters, I haven't gone much further back than the 1970s to read this stuff.

Re: Donald Blake's most recent appearances.. Matt Fraction touched on Blake, both in his Iron Man AND Thor runs. In Fraction's 2nd Iron Man arc, Blake has a pretty key role. Tony essentially wipes his mind to keep Norman Osborn from getting any chance of discovering all the superhero registrations from Civil War (This was in Dark Reign). Stark gives power of attorney to none other than Donald Blake (knowing that Thor and Cap could eventually restore him.. I suppose I won't spoil the rest). Point is, Blake very much was in that story.. I think 2009 or so was when that came out?

Fraction also had his Thor run not too much later and I remember Thor speaking with Blake in it, who was characterized as a sort of non-corporeal entity in one of the early issues.. as was mentioned by you guys. That was also pretty recent- last 5-6 years or so.

Not sure if Fraction continued on with those concepts for Blake in either run, I eventually dropped both of them (They were just OK, and I had other books that were more floating my boat at the time). But FWIW.
  • Options
    Thank you guys. Great talk and insights.

There's a video on youtube that goes into some of those side-by-side comparisons of Kirby's work on Thor and the New Gods. It is a 4-part series. The total time if you watch all 4 parts is less than an hour. The Thor/New Gods talk starts around the mid-way point of part 3.

Anti-Life Equation Themes of Jack Kirby Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1i3AWW-zM
  • Options
    Great episode, CGS! As I have commented before, these are my favorite episodes, and Chris, Adam and crew (Jamie was especially missed on this one!) did not disappoint. I recently read the issues discussed with Marvel Unlimited (part of my effort to read as much Marvel as I can get my hands on in chronological order) and agree that these were a highlight of the period, especially beginning around 1966, when many of these early series really started to hit their groove!

The combination of good Marvel superheroics, Norse mythology, and space adventures was a natural draw for me when I started reading comics in the Bronze Age.

Again, I appreciate your work on these episodes and will keep listening as long as you grace us with your time and effort. Thanks, guys (and gals when you have Dani or any other female participants)!
  • Options
    A special highlight of this episode for me was Chris's hyper-melodramatic readings of Stan Lee's hyper-melodramatic story titles from various Thor comics. Made me crack up every single time.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited July 2016

A special highlight of this episode for me was Chris's hyper-melodramatic readings of Stan Lee's hyper-melodramatic story titles from various Thor comics. Made me crack up every single time.

Exactly! I just listened to this podcast on the way down to / back up from San Diego Comic-Con, and it made the drive so much fun - especially Chris' impassioned readings of those Thor story titles (and Murd's hilariously dry descriptions for Thor's ridiculous rogue's gallery). But even when I wasn't laughing, I was loving it all, Chris does such a fantastic job researching and presenting the material, with input from Murd et al. When I listen to these spotlight podcasts, I often feel like a kid again - curled up in front of a cozy fire, while my dad and his buddies tell great stories.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    P.S. great to see you again, @Mark_Engblom! I remember you as BizarroMark from the old DC boards :)
  • Options

P.S. great to see you again, @Mark_Engblom! I remember you as BizarroMark from the old DC boards :)

Hi Dave! Yeah, haven't haunted many forums since then (Facebook usually scratches the "commentary for commentary's sake" itch), but I enjoy the CGS shows so much, I thought I'd jump back in. For a period of years, I also did my "Comic Coverage" blog, which is still accessible HERE. I designed it so 90% of the content is "evergreen" (relevant at any time), so if you didn't get enough of my blather on the DC boards, there's always that to check out.