Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Flashpoint the Animated Movie?

Kevin Conroy was recently giving an interview on Comic Book Club Live and he mentioned he had just finished voiceover work as Batman in an upcoming animated movie about The Flash.He identified it as Flashpoint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8DBgITN9so8#t=319s

Comments

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    they should just skip to doing one about the Batman Flashpoint tie-in. Now that would be awesome
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    But that would be yet another Batman animated movie.After this summer's Superman vs. The Elite, we have The Dark Knight Returns, which is actually a 2-part film.Do we need to follow 2 Batman movies with a Batman movie?
  • Options
    batman sells... although I would like to see a JSA one...
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Here's the trailer for the voiceover documentary that Conroy mentions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xivQ6_gu3W8
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Bring it on. Just so long as its a one-off.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    And the month after its release will see the release of 52 new Number One DVDs
    A quarter of which will be cancelled before production. And summarily replaced. :P
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Or.....

Maybe this will lead to their big announcement of the new DC television network with it's new slate of 52 animated series.

I shouldn't have posted that, now I'm actually wishing that would happen. (They'll hold onto Earth 2 and Dial H for mid-season replacements)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    But that would be yet another Batman animated movie.After this summer's Superman vs. The Elite, we have The Dark Knight Returns, which is actually a 2-part film.Do we need to follow 2 Batman movies with a Batman movie?
    It's because those ones sell and the two non-Batman/Superman titles they released (Wonder Woman and Green Lantern) flopped.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    It's because those ones sell and the two non-Batman/Superman titles they released (Wonder Woman and Green Lantern) flopped.
    That's not really true. Out of 14 releases, Wonder Woman was the 4th highest selling movie, with First Flight being the 6th. Doomsday, Public Enemies and Under the Red Hood are the only ones that sold more than Wonder Woman. And those films + Gotham Knight are the only ones that sold more than First Flight.

They were very successful. I know a lot of people consider Wonder Woman to be the best of the bunch. I wonder how well some of the other characters would sell if they gave them a chance. The Showcase shorts were well received, but a good number of fans wished they were longer. I'd bet they could make a successful Green Arrow film, though I don't think it will happen. According to Bruce Timm, we'll never see a Green Arrow film because the character has no definitive story like All Star Superman, Year One or Dark Knight Returns that would lend itself to an adaptation. I don't know if I'd agree with that, but that's how it is.

He pretty much laid it out that Batman, Superman and Justice League were really the only characters they were interested in basing movies on. That's a shame because there are other characters with cool stories that could profitable/successful. Sure, Batman sells and makes them money, but maybe the others can, as well. We don't know because they haven't really tried.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    He pretty much laid it out that Batman, Superman and Justice League were really the only characters they were interested in basing movies on. That's a shame because there are other characters with cool stories that could profitable/successful. Sure, Batman sells and makes them money, but maybe the others can, as well. We don't know because they haven't really tried.
    Considering the expense in producing a feature-length animated movie, It makes complete sense to me that they would be conservative in their choices.

Where they have been able to make up for this necessary conservatism is in their choice of supporting characters and who to feature in shorts. I'm sure the creators would rather concentrate on their favorite characters, and you can see the love they pour into them when they get to use them.

Instead of complaining about what hasn't been made, I prefer to be thrilled by what has.

Hell, for me, the Spectre short alone would be worth sitting through a dozen so-so Batman projects.

And how many of the Batman projects have been so-so? Most have ranged from pretty good to fantastic.