Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nick Fury News (spoilers for Battle Scars #6)

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/04/25/agent-coulson-nick-fury-son-battle-scars-616/

I knew sooner or later this might happen. Why could they not just keep the movie based in the Ultimate universe? You wanna bring Coulson into the 616 fine. Replacing the exisiting Nick Fury with his son as the new head of SHIELD to make the 616 more inline with the movie...I'm calling bullshit on this. I normally don't get my panties in a bunch like this but they are and its uncomfortable. I don't like it.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know why they have to give the guy Steve Rogers' Super Soldier uniform? Are they that hard up for ideas? They couldn't create something original for him?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I like having Coulson.

But this not-Nick Fury who's Nick Fury? A bit forced.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Bringing Coulson into the comics= fine.
    "New" Nick Fury= mega-lame
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I don't know why they have to give the guy Steve Rogers' Super Soldier uniform? Are they that hard up for ideas? They couldn't create something original for him?
    I actually kinda like it. It was a nice design, and now that Steve's back as Cap, why not pass on the duds? There's a long tradition of folks wearing his hand-me-downs.

• Options
    I like having Coulson.

More forced than Civil War?

More forced than AvX?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I like having Coulson.

More forced than AvX?
    Equal to if not much more so.
  • Options
    I actually kinda like it. It was a nice design, and now that Steve's back as Cap, why not pass on the duds? There's a long tradition of folks wearing his hand-me-downs.

I guess that's the issue: Why, in a medium that is chock full of creative people, should there be any hand-me-downs?
  • Options
    BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    I think it's neat that we've got Agent Coulson in the 616.
  • Options

I guess that's the issue: Why, in a medium that is chock full of creative people, should there be any hand-me-downs?
    Cynical Answer: Marketing.

Fanboy Rationalist Answer: It's a uniform, and symbolically, the Uniform is the Job. Dress like a cop, you're perceived as a cop. Dress like a firefighter, you're perceived as a firefighter. Dress like a supersoldier, you're perceived as a supersoldier.
  • Options
    My one worry with this news is that it's going to turn unnecessarily racial amongst the fans.
    I like having Coulson.

More forced than AvX?

More forced that Civil War, yes. Besides, all heroes need to do is bump into each other and they'll fight each other.

As for AvX... well, dirty mutants are involved. Can't trust those we hate and fear.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Read this last night. I was Furious! (get it?)
    Don't know if I was more mad at Marvel for this super Lame-o blatant marketing driven BS, or the fact that I should have seen it coming after they gouged out Marcus' eye last issue.

Coulson? whatever... generic throw away SHEILD guy.

Samuel Jackson - son of Fury shoehorned into the 616, just in time for the big movie? total BS.
    "and by the way Marcus, we forgot to mention that your real name is Nick". Cuz that is what super smart secret spies do when they are in hiding... name their illegitimate kids after the secret spy father. ugh.

Can't wait until Marvel sweeps Nick Fury Jr under the rug along with Peter and Mary Jane's baby.
  • Options
    @Hex: Now you know how I feel every time I see Krypton portrayed as being built out of cheesy 1970s crystalline material.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    didn't see the point in doing this, ultimate nick was going to be fine

maybe this is really nick fury in costume like he did back sometime i forget where though
  • Options
    its just another LMD...

those things are everyhere, like Wilt Chamberlain's children.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Yeesh! marvel didn't have to do this! The movies were based on bits and pieces of the ultimate universe and the 616 universe, which makes it unique and gives a nod to fans of both. They could've stayed 'ambiguous' that way. Pus, give fans credit! I really couldn't care less if coulson was a character in the comics, because in the movies, he works!
  • Options
    I really couldn't care less if coulson was a character in the comics, because in the movies, he works!
    However, I do LOVE that Coulson's nickname is "Cheese". That pretty much says it all!
  • Options
    Even my wife rolled her eyes when she finished reading the last issue.
  • Options
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I think I like the decision to add them less now that I've seen them try to justify it.

When are they going to finally introduce black Kingpin?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    edited April 2012
    There's nothing wrong at all with adding Coulson to the 616 universe. Just ask Jimmy Olson... or Renee Montoya.... or Harley Quinn... or X-23... you get the point. But making Nick Fury look like Samuel L. Jackson in the most contrived way possible? Yeah, that's bad.

edit - just clicked the link in the post above me... and Firestar! Forgot her.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I think Nick Fury should go into the same machine that the original Star Trek Klingons went into and from which they emerged with bumpy heads and mostly african-american. It's a natural fit. In goes white Fury and out comes black Fury (no head bumps, though). They can even cross it over with IDW's Trek. This could be big!!! X_X
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Funny thing is I saw this on the shelf and and though it was a story recapping The Ultimate Nick Fury early life and by the title I thought it would end with him losing his eye. So I passed on this series. Now I hearing it takes place in 616 universe and they are adding Nick Jr. to the 616...makes me glad I passed on it.

What next Marvel are you gonna give us a Red and Blue Nick Fury, or how about a Nick Fury with a mullet.
  • Options
    Coulson. Hmm.

Some people will know what I mean.
  • Options
    Funny thing is I saw this on the shelf and and though it was a story recapping The Ultimate Nick Fury early life and by the title I thought it would end with him losing his eye. So I passed on this series. Now I hearing it takes place in 616 universe and they are adding Nick Jr. to the 616...makes me glad I passed on it.

What next Marvel are you gonna give us a Red and Blue Nick Fury, or how about a Nick Fury with a mullet.
    I'm personally looking for Cyborg Fury.
  • Options
    glandgland Posts: 17
    Unless something's changed, the movies don't really bring in that many new readers, right? That's what I've always gathered. There'll be the occasional one here and there, but for the most part it doesn't happen. An Avengers movie is coming, so comic fans get excited and buy more Avengers stuff, which stores know will happen so they order more Avengers stuff from Diamond, which Marvel sees coming so they make more Avengers stuff, and tie a bunch of it directly to the movie which started all of this.

Am I wrong? Or is cranking out movie-based content like this no different than double-shipping (producing more content that you know the customer base you already have will buy more of)?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I just want the David Hasselhoff Nick Fury to show up in 616. When do we get that?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Read about this over the weekend. They shoehorned Shaq's foot into one of Carrie Bradshaw's Manolo Blahniks. That's what they did.