Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Organizing Your Digital Comics: Tips, Tricks & Suggestions

So I have a BOATLOAD of digital comics. I have a system for my floppies in long-boxes (I'll never be able to afford those custom drawers CGS was advertising long ago). But my digital comics I'm at a loss for.

I've got Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, modern age.
I've got Marvel, DC, Boom, Image, IDW, and others.
I've got full runs, mini-series, etc.

I just cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to layout the folder structure on my external hard drive. I was going to go by era of comics, then publisher, then character. But that didn't seem "right". Then I was just going to go publisher then character, then era. But nothing really seems to "work" with my particular brand of minor OCD.

So what do YOU do?

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    I'm assuming they are mostly .PDFs?

How do you organize your music? I treat my comics in a vary similar way as my digital music.
  • Options
    Genre - Artist - Album
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The way I do my comics

Master Family Folder->Title-> .pdf/.cbr

So for example
    Gi Joe-> Gi Joe Real American Hero
    Gi Joe-> ...Elite
    Gi Joe-> ...Special Missions

That way I can keep up with something like Gijoe all in one place regardless of publisher or series.
  • Options
    I have lots of them as well, and the ones that are Public Domain (I.e. not through Comixology or Marvel Unlimited) I go Company -> Title -> Issue Number.

The beauty of sites that house the PD stuff is that that make it easy to find, and I adore Comic Book Plus for doing the heavy lifting as to what is in public domain. SO many great comics from the 40's and 50's that you could never afford to read.
  • Options
    I use humblebundle for comics that I have to index.
    I might have some less than moral files somewhere from previous more outlaw time. It's been years since I looked for them, but I had a similar system back then.
  • Options

I have lots of them as well, and the ones that are Public Domain (I.e. not through Comixology or Marvel Unlimited) I go
    Company -> Title -> Issue Number.

I decided to try a different approach to organization since I posted.

So for most of my licensed properties I still do
    Gi Joe ->series title->issue number

But I think there is something to @SolitaireRose 's organization so now im trying this
    Company->Master folder (ex. XMen, or if you buy from Image Series Creator)-> series title- -> issue number
    My Image folder would looks something like this
    Image-> Mark Millar->Jupiter's Legacy->series->issue

Or in Robert Kirkmans case
    Image->Robert Kirkman-> Invincible-> Invincible compendium vol 1