Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

WHAT IS YOUR COMIC BOOK ALL STAR LINE UP

If you were to start your own comic book company, and you could pick any 5 artists and 5 writers currently working in comics, who would they be and why?

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm gonna answer this one off the top of my head but I reserve the right to come back and change stuff. Great topic, btw.

Writers:
    Peter David (Supergirl, Fallen Angel)
    - mainly because whatever he turns in, it will not be boring, but it'll still be mainstream enough to attract an audience
    Greg Rucka (Queen & Country, Lazarus) - because I've yet to read anything by him I haven't enjoyed.
    Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Quantum & Woody) - because I like to smile, and his books always make me smile.
    Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn, Superzero) - because the man writes good stuff consistently and I get the impression he doesn't miss deadlines despite working on multiple projects at a time
    Gail Simone (Birds of Prey, Red Sonja) - because I think I could give her a project, point her in a direction, press the trigger, and it wouldn't take much more to get a masterpiece.

Artists:
    Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn, Power Girl)
    - except I'd throw a curveball and NOT team her up with Palmiotti. She'd either work with Simone or David on a superheroine book.
    Koshi Rikudo (Excel Saga, Pandora in the Crimson Shell) - I'd pair him with Palmiotti on a "mature readers" title. It would rock.
    Jamal Igle (Molly Danger, Supergirl) - it'd come off as pandering, I admit it, but I honestly *would* pair him up with Priest to create more minority heroes.
    Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising) - I'd pair him with Rucka and force them to bring Queen & Country back in the gorgeous black and white Moore is famous for making.
    Stjepan Seijic (Sunstone, Death Vigil) - Because his artistic style would work really nice with any of the writers I've listed above.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Jonathan Hickman
    Jason Aaron
    Geoff Johns
    Grant Morrison
    Brian K. Vaughan

Olivier Coipel
    Steve Epting
    Chris Samnee
    "Doc" Shaner
    Frank Cho

.....because I think they make the best comics...
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Eiichiro Oda
    Yusei Matsui
    Hajime Isayama
    Haruichi Furudate
    Yasuhisa Hara

Because I want to make money.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm gonna answer this one off the top of my head but I reserve the right to come back and change stuff. Great topic, btw.

Writers:
    Peter David (Supergirl, Fallen Angel)
    - mainly because whatever he turns in, it will not be boring, but it'll still be mainstream enough to attract an audience
    Greg Rucka (Queen & Country, Lazarus) - because I've yet to read anything by him I haven't enjoyed.
    Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Quantum & Woody) - because I like to smile, and his books always make me smile.
    Jimmy Palmiotti (Harley Quinn, Superzero) - because the man writes good stuff consistently and I get the impression he doesn't miss deadlines despite working on multiple projects at a time
    Gail Simone (Birds of Prey, Red Sonja) - because I think I could give her a project, point her in a direction, press the trigger, and it wouldn't take much more to get a masterpiece.

Artists:
    Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn, Power Girl)
    - except I'd throw a curveball and NOT team her up with Palmiotti. She'd either work with Simone or David on a superheroine book.
    Koshi Rikudo (Excel Saga, Pandora in the Crimson Shell) - I'd pair him with Palmiotti on a "mature readers" title. It would rock.
    Jamal Igle (Molly Danger, Supergirl) - it'd come off as pandering, I admit it, but I honestly *would* pair him up with Priest to create more minority heroes.
    Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise, Rachel Rising) - I'd pair him with Rucka and force them to bring Queen & Country back in the gorgeous black and white Moore is famous for making.
    Stjepan Seijic (Sunstone, Death Vigil) - Because his artistic style would work really nice with any of the writers I've listed above.

Love the way you paired up the writer and artist. I'm really starting to appreciate Priest a lot more... I was a little late to the show on that one.
    Rucka and Moore would be incredible, especially they way they handle female characters and issues with respect and dignity
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Jonathan Hickman
    Jason Aaron
    Geoff Johns
    Grant Morrison
    Brian K. Vaughan

Olivier Coipel
    Steve Epting
    Chris Samnee
    "Doc" Shaner
    Frank Cho

.....because I think they make the best comics...

I would read all those books
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited September 2016
    Jeff Lemire
    Brian K Vaughn
    Matt Kindt
    Scott Snyder
    Jason Aaron
    These guys write my favourite comics right now and have been for a number of years now

Yannick Paquet
    Ivan Reis
    Bilquis Eveley
    Fiona Staples
    Raphael Alberqurque
    These guys art has blown me away lately, and can take a well written book to a higher level.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Jeff Lemire
    Brian K Vaughn
    Matt Kindt
    Scott Snyder
    Jason Aaron
    These guys write my favourite comics right now and have been for a number of years now

Yannick Paquet
    Ivan Reis
    Bilquis Eveley
    Fiona Staples
    Raphael Alberqurque
    These guys art has blown me away lately, and can take a well written book to a higher level.

I'm really getting interested in Matt Kindt's work, and Alberqurque on Huck was so much fun.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    My list isn't terribly inventive, and I probably could have come up with a better list... but it sure is fun to think about;

Kathryn Immonen with Stuart Immonen on art
    Ed Brubaker with Sean Phillips on art
    Brian K. Vaughan with Bruce Tim on art
    Kurt Busiek with Alex Ross on art
    Dan Slott with Paco Medina on art
    + a bonus
    Charles Soule with Ladronn on art (crazy, I know).
    + an extra bonus
    John Byrne with John Byrne on art (cuz he is a cantankerous out grump that won’t play well with others)
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Writers
    Jim Zub
    Gail Simone
    Matt Fraction
    James Roberts

Artists
    Stjepan Šejić
    J.K. Woodward
    Tess Fowler
    Carlos Gomez

And Terry Moore

I chose the writers because lately these are the ones that I keep going back to. James Roberts is a pretty niche choice as his only notable work has been on Transformers. I could have listed a dozen or so more artists, outside of Terry Moore, I have chatted with all of these people at multiple cons and/or online through blogs or email.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Writers:
    Mark Waid
    Gail Simone
    Tom King
    Ed Brubaker
    Scott Snyder

Artists:
    Greg Capullo
    J.K. Woodward
    Jamal Igle
    Fiona Staples
    Ethan Van Sciver
  • Options
    Writers:
    Jonathon Hickman
    Nick Spencer
    Matt Fraction
    Tom King
    Ed Brubaker

Artist(s):
    Sean Phillips on Ed Brubaker's stuff.
    David Aja on Matt Fraction's stuff.
    Alex Ross on everyone else's.
  • Options
    I decided to go with the writers and artists who have me most excited about their books, right now, and I wanted to pair up creators who hadn’t worked together before, as far as I can tell, which means no Brubaker & Phillips books coming out of my stable. That said, here’s my list:

Writers:

Ed Brubaker – Brubaker is my favorite writer working right now. From Criminal to the Fade Out to Velvet --- I am loving everything he works on.

David Walker – I discovered Walker when the new Power Man & Iron Fist series started. And I am loving that book. Not only is it fun, but it’s full of action and adventure (rather than the violence that can pass for that in many contemporary comics), in the way my favorite superhero books from the 80s felt, even if he’s not aping those books.

Kelley Sue DeConnick – DeConnick’s series, Pretty Deadly, with Emma Rios is one of those books that just hit all my sweet spots --- a western and a horror story, with metaphysical aspects sprinkled in; it’s a smart book that requires you to pay attention, but it’s well worth it, in my opinion.

Greg Rucka – One of my favorite writers in the business (and I love his novels too). Rucka’s work on Batman, on Stumptown, on Queen & Country are all high-water marks for me, and that’s just the top of the pile. There’s his work with Batwoman, his Whiteout series with Steve Lieber, Checkmate, and so many other great books. Rucka will always be on my shortlist.

Brandon Graham – Through another podcast (sorry, CGS) I was made aware of Graham’s series, King City. It took me a few issues to get what he was doing there, but once I did, I was completely onboard for that story. then he revamped/rebooted Prophet with Simon Roy, Giannis Milogiannis, Farel Dalrymple, and others, and that book was always at the top of the reading pile for the month it came out, even above Brubaker’s books and stuff like Saga. I love the quirkiness of Graham’s writing, and I look forward to what he does next.

Artists:

Jaime Hernandez – One of the best writer/artists ever to create comics. I would pair Hernandez with Brubaker because of something Alan Moore said, in an interview, early in his career---that Moore did not want to work with an artist whom he felt to be a better writer than he was, because he did not wish to lessen their work; the artist/writer in question was Eddie Campbell. But when Moore & Campbell finally collaborated, they created From Hell, which is my favorite comic of all time. With Brubaker and Hernandez working together, truly collaborating, I think they could create something incredible.

Noel Tuazon – Tuazon---whose credits include, Elk’s Run, Tumor, and The Broadcast---is one of my favorite artists. Though “sketchy,” his style manages to evoke so much emotion. I’d love to see what he and Walker could create together.

Chris Samnee – Samnee has one of the cleanest, most beautiful art styles in comics. Him working with DeConnick is a pairing I would love to experience. I think they’d craft an exciting heroic adventure, whatever genre they chose to place that in.

Scott Morse – One of my “Mr. Rushmore Creators,” Morse’s animation-style artwork regularly is in service to stories with a more serious tone, and the juxtaposition of the “childlike” art with the heavy narratives always enhances the reading experience, for me. I’d put him with Rucka, not just because they are two of my favorites, but because I would like to see these two finally work on the Everest comic that was previewed by Topshelf over a decade ago. This might be the only way that would ever happen.

Emma Rios – I know Graham is already a fan of Rios’s (they are working together in curating the ISLAND anthology from Image) and the soft, flowing art style of Rios mixed with the crazy ideas of Graham would be a great melding of two creators I enjoy and respect.

BONUS PICK:
    E-I-C: Alan Moore --- Moore is my favorite writer of all-time, period. But his recent work hasn’t excited me as much as those above. That said, I love the idea of having Moore on hand to hash out stories with these creators, offering his distinct insights to the imaginativeness of the writers and artists above. I think it could be magical.

-chris