Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Doctor Strange (SPOILERS-- Seen it? Discuss it here)

2»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Well, the Ancient One was obviously well aware of who Stephen Strange was, so it isn't out of the realm of possibilities that he was known to SHIELD also. It's a stretch, but it didn't take me out the movie.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

A thought: This movie has slight problems with continuity. Other than the Avengers tower in the background cityscape of NYC, and the reference to (we believe) Rhodey (they mention a 30 something soldier with paralysis)..there were no other appearances or references to the Avengers or the MCU we've seen so far. (Outside of the credits)

However, in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Sitwell mentions Stephen Strange in a list of other MCU characters. " A TV anchor in Cairo, the Under Secretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City, Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA. Now, or in the future. " Which places this movie BEFORE Winter Soldier. Why else would Hydra be concerned about Strange BEFORE he becomes a Sorcerer? So, here's what I'm thinking...This movie is AFTER Avengers but BEFORE Winter Soldier. You see Avengers Tower in the background which leads you to think it's after Age of Ultron (because that's the first time we saw the completed Avengers Tower). But when we see it in Age of Ultron ISN'T the first time they've used it. So after Avengers but before Winter Soldier. And the end credits scene with a Thor...THAT part of the movie is real time.

Which means, in my personal head canon, the reference to Rhodey COULDN'T have been specifically about Rhodey. Again, none of this will matter to the average movie goer, but it jumped out to me.

Here's the scene:

https://youtu.be/OXKNtlMMiI8

"...evaluates people's past to predict their future."

This movie can still fall right after/around Civil War & the prior reference still makes sense.

M
    I can let it go obviously, but these are the types of things we as comic fans like to think about. PERSONALLY I think an algorithm predicting the future threat of Doctor Strange is bullshit. I can see predicting the potential threat of others based on genetics, personality, family history, etc. But predicting the intervention of magic? No thanks.

But it's not like I'm calling BS on the entire Marvel cinematic universe and am going to rage quit as a result. Just something I noticed.
    Rewatch the clip. Nothing was said about predicting magic in Strange's future. Only that it predicts your future. It only means "anyone who is a threat to HYDRA." I've never taken that as they knew he'd be a sorcerer supreme, just that his past meant he had the potential to make him a threat in the future.

M
  • Options
    Perhaps there are individuals in the MCU who are pre-disposed to being able to master the Mystic Arts, and that's what the algorithm was capturing?
  • Options

Perhaps there are individuals in the MCU who are pre-disposed to being able to master the Mystic Arts, and that's what the algorithm was capturing?

If you even utter the words "Midi-chlorians" you're going to see some REAL magic when I reach through this screen and attack you. :wink:
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally saw dr strange today. Got to say I think it's easily my least favorite marvel movie to date. I liked it. But that's all.
    It just didn't hit any buttons or resonate with me at all. It seemed short and very simple and formulaic. Nobody in the movie stood out, grabbed me or really interested me.

Much of the effects were too annoyingly cgi and didn't really interest or impress me.
    Should've and could've been more variety in the powers and effects. The rotating folding buildings and landscapes got old and annoying for me almost immediately.

Wasn't terribly funny and was too obvious when it tried to be. It seemed the story was rushed and overall rather short?

I didn't expect to like the lady as the ancient one but I did, and I really liked the guy that played mordu(?).
    Nobody else impressed me or stood out in any way.

Just seemed like they stopped short with everything. This is a movie they should've completely let go and went nuts with. But seemed like they went with a "good enough / play it safe" approach. I dunno. I enjoyed the animated movie more.

Maybe because I'm not nec a dr strange fan and because this wasn't a particularly good theater experience (had to restart it once and sound cut out a couple times briefly), but feel it was just so so.

Was curious about the timeline too. Seemed like it should've been pre AoU at least. But should've been pre avengers or would've been a good thing if it were. Any guesses on who the "injured naval officer wearing experimental armor" was? Can't remember if that statement was made before or after he learned magic. I thought maybe they were referring to war machine and his civil war crash? But isn't he Air Force? Was it just nothing? Also don't remember if the avengers tower was shown before or after his accident or both? To help with chronology.

The after credits scenes were kindve meh too IMO.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Director stated that was not a Rhodey reference. Some speculate it's the test pilot for Hammer's attempt to create an Iron Man armor in IM2.

I see "formulaic" a lot when describing these films. I'm not going to argue that they aren't...but I'm hard pressed to find a franchise with more then one sequel that doesn't have a formula. In fact, Bond has been using the same for 25* movies.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Matt said:

Director stated that was not a Rhodey reference. Some speculate it's the test pilot for Hammer's attempt to create an Iron Man armor in IM2.

I see "formulaic" a lot when describing these films. I'm not going to argue that they aren't...but I'm hard pressed to find a franchise with more then one sequel that doesn't have a formula. In fact, Bond has been using the same for 25* movies.

M

Of course. Just meant this appeared and felt especially "by the numbers" and seemed little no effort was taken to make it stand out or be different or appear otherwise.