Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1221 Talkback: Listener Feedback

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited April 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Discussion topics brought up by our listeners include which of the DC new 52 books we're still reading, a challenging sketch request for artists at conventions, how much violence can we see from AMC's 'The Walking Dead' and more. (1:03:05)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I liked the closing music from WKRP. Kids these days think they know sitcoms. But back in my day TV knew how to make us laugh!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I thought Bailey was hot but I wouldn't send Loni home either. In fact Loni and Howard Hessman are going to be at Motor City Comic-con in May. Yvonne Craig too!

I never watched the New WKRP in the 90's but I would be interested in seeing it. It made sense that Herb, Mr. Carslon, and Les would still be at the station.
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    Murd just threw his vocabulary around like a rampaging pachyderm! Damn!
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I thought Bailey was hot but I wouldn't send Loni home either. In fact Loni and Howard Hessman are going to be at Motor City Comic-con in May. Yvonne Craig too!

I never watched the New WKRP in the 90's but I would be interested in seeing it. It made sense that Herb, Mr. Carslon, and Les would still be at the station.
    On the show Loni came off to me as a woman that was only interested in men's money. Plus I have never been a huge fan of bleached blonde hair.

• Options
    I have to agree with the caller that Barbara Gordon as Batgirl didn't do anything for me. Give me a new Bat title starring Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Misfit! What the heck have Bette Kane make guest appearances from time to time too!
  • Options
    bendoc55bendoc55 Posts: 14
    Listening to this episode, especially in reference to pre new DCU characters like Wally West, makes me admit something to myself...I miss the old DC universe. There.... I said it. Feels good to get that off my chest. I started back into comics about 3 or 4 years ago, so I had a lot of great stories from the 2000s to explore like Infinite Crisis, Sinestro Corps War, and Legion of 3 Worlds. I felt things were going in a great general direction. I wish when they decided to move on to the new DCU, they put the old universe on the shelf for later use, not unlike what was done when the golden age turned into the silver age. Just one guy's opinion.
  • Options
    MurrayMurray Posts: 29
    I wish when they decided to move on to the new DCU, they put the old universe on the shelf for later use, not unlike what was done when the golden age turned into the silver age.
    Don't worry. The old universe is still there. It's only ever one story away. It took the silver age a couple of years to set in before they went digging through the golden age characters for more story. I miss my Wally. And Donna! Wow do I miss Donna! But, to be fair, neither of those characters were seeing the greatest storylines come their way in the last couple of years. And since DC doesn't seem to know what to do with them, I'm content to wait until someone comes along that really does want to write about them. The last thing I want to see is those fondly remembered characters get shoe-horned into some ongoing storyline simply because DC is trying to cater to the fans. When the time is right, they'll be back. And it will be worth the wait.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice Listener Feedback Ep! Congrats for not being muddled Murd! I thought it was funny how you got the voice mail about focusing too much on DC and then you got the voice mail about what you're still reading in the new 52 and you talked about that for a LONG while. Oh, Wally West: At Emerald Con DC Panel there was a kid dressed up like Kid Flash who stood in line for a long while to ask a question. They almost finished the panel without him asking his question, but my friends and some other people shouted "Let Kid Flash ask a question!" They relented and his question was: "When are you going to bring back Wally West?" Anyway, I agree with Brad about Chris on the Spider-Man episodes, but that artist sketch suggestion was really out there. I'm looking forward to seeing the Pants sketchbook. Walking Dead: well, I've read the first 4 trades and the governor hasn't showed up yet.
  • Options
    bendoc55bendoc55 Posts: 14
    I wish when they decided to move on to the new DCU, they put the old universe on the shelf for later use, not unlike what was done when the golden age turned into the silver age.
    Don't worry. The old universe is still there. It's only ever one story away. It took the silver age a couple of years to set in before they went digging through the golden age characters for more story. I miss my Wally. And Donna! Wow do I miss Donna! But, to be fair, neither of those characters were seeing the greatest storylines come their way in the last couple of years. And since DC doesn't seem to know what to do with them, I'm content to wait until someone comes along that really does want to write about them. The last thing I want to see is those fondly remembered characters get shoe-horned into some ongoing storyline simply because DC is trying to cater to the fans. When the time is right, they'll be back. And it will be worth the wait.
    I agree with all of that. It's not that I even have an issue with a universal reboot. I think it's healthy and beneficial after a while to deal with all the unrealistic history and continuity issues ( how many times can Gotham be destroyed?). The analogy I would make is to the new Avengers cartoon. I think it's great. The animation, production and dialog are all topnotch. What I like most however, is that it reflects the best, most interesting elements of 616 continuity, and uses them in modern fresh ways. It's also not bogged down by history. It has it's roots firmly in Marvel's past, so I recognize a lot of what's going on, yet I have no certainty exactly how it's going to play out. It seems to reward those in the know so to speak, as well as newbies. The writers also have 50 years of Marvel continuity to mine, so you keep anticipating when something else significant will pop up. That being said, if in the actual 616 continuity, a Pheonix Force/Ultron time null field/Celestial gang bang, changed that universe into the cartoon continuity, that would seem a big loss to me. That permanent closure irregardless of the results doesn't appeal to my comic multiverse hoarders mentality ( I sense a reality TV show intervention..."Ben, we care about you, let go of Marvel 2099, and throw it in the trash.")
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited April 2012
    I thought it was funny how you got the voice mail about focusing too much on DC and then you got the voice mail about what you're still reading in the new 52 and you talked about that for a LONG while.
    Yeah. I mean, I've been loving DC more than Marvel for quite a while now, but... at this point...

I'd rather hear just TWO or even ONE of the Geeks talk about Wolverine & The X-Men than hear you all talk about The New 52. AGAIN.

I can see that "Night of the Owls" should deserve an episode, but...damn...a whole upcoming episode to discuss Snyder and Capullo's Batman yet again? At least schedule something for Marvel books (besides AvX). Some of you are reading Hickman's FF, right? Don't any of you have something to say about Daredevil? More than just a "yeah, I've read some of it".

I enjoy the show, and it's not like I feel CGS should "mirror the landscape of the industry" or whatever. But, yeah, some Marvel talk would be fun. Even if all of you haven't read all of the titles discussed. Y'know?
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547

Yeah. I mean, I've been loving DC more than Marvel for quite a while now, but... at this point...

I'd rather hear just TWO or even ONE of the Geeks talk about Wolverine & The X-Men than hear you all talk about The New 52. AGAIN.

So do you think I should bully my way in with talk of x-men? Other Geeks be damned?
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I should clarify. You should wait a few weeks until finals are over and I get the chance to catch up on my X-reading. Then you should just start talking about the X-Men regardless of what the other geeks are talking about. Even if you're interviewing Dan DiDio, just interrupt him and start talking about the X-Men. If Pants tries to cut you off, just tell him there's a Fifty-Two page out in the parking lot and then when he runs out to get it, lock the door behind him. If he resists, tell him it's bacon-wrapped. He probably won't believe you, but he'll still go check because it's not worth the risk.