Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Nightwing Creator Credits

I'm always happy to see creator credits in DC and Marvel books. One that recently caught my eye was for Nightwing. Dick Grayson first appeard as Nightwing in Tales of the Teen Titans #44 by George Perez and Marv Wolfman...but did they creat him? The character of Dick Grayson had been around for at least 40 by the time Tales of the Teen Titans #44 came out. Also, the name Nightwing goes back to Superman #158 from 1963. Isn't this like the creative team who first put Carol Danvers in her new costume and named her Captain Marvel getting credit for creating Captain Marvel? I guess I see it different than the creators of Superman or Aquaman, for example, getting credit.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Nightwing does have a particularly odd history making it difficult for anyone to be assigned credit for creating him. This conundrum was addressed pretty well here:

http://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/2013/08/so-who-created-nightwing.html
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited December 2016
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm always happy to see creator credits in DC and Marvel books. One that recently caught my eye was for Nightwing. Dick Grayson first appeard as Nightwing in Tales of the Teen Titans #44 by George Perez and Marv Wolfman...but did they creat him? The character of Dick Grayson had been around for at least 40 by the time Tales of the Teen Titans #44 came out. Also, the name Nightwing goes back to Superman #158 from 1963. Isn't this like the creative team who first put Carol Danvers in her new costume and named her Captain Marvel getting credit for creating Captain Marvel? I guess I see it different than the creators of Superman or Aquaman, for example, getting credit.

What do you guys think?

Carol Danvers is an even better example of this than you've suggested here.

1967 - Captain Marvel created by Lee & Colan
    1968 - Carol Danvers created by Thomas & Colan
    1977 - Ms Marvel created by the Conways and Buscema.
    1984 - Binary created by Claremont and Cockrum
    1998 - Warbird "created" by Busiek and Perez (this is really just a renaming of Ms Marvel)
    2012 - Captain Marvel created by Deconnick and McKelvie

Obviously when MarVell and Danvers were created, at no point was Ms Marvel, Binary or a female Captain Marvel part of that concept, so you can't really say Lee and Colan solely created the version of Captain Marvel we have now.

I'd expect for the Captain Marvel movie if they use a derivative of the McKelvie costume, for Lee, Colan, Thomas, the Conways, Buscema, Deconnick and McKelvie to get the credit. Binary was this weird direction, that doesn't have much bearing on the concept nowadays.

You might have to throw Gil Kane in there too for the Captain Marvel costume that the current on is derivative of.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Nightwing does have a particularly odd history making it difficult for anyone to be assigned credit for creating him. This conundrum was addressed pretty well here:

http://everydayislikewednesday.blogspot.com/2013/08/so-who-created-nightwing.html

Thanks for the link. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had thoughts about this. The author did a better job than I could ever do covering the topc.