Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1634 Talkback - Comic Talk

'Tis the week before Christmas, and though we're half-dead, there's some great, Geeky things that we can't leave unsaid! We summon the energy to share some shop talk with Chris, enthuse about the Spider-Man: Homecoming trailers, present a very special installment of Muddle the Murd, and lift each other's spirits with talk of the season and hopes for the new year to come (comics-related and otherwise). Now bring us some figgy pudding! (1:00:41)

Listen here!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I did a quick Wiki search of comics that feature the Rutland Halloween Parade. This might be a fun niche collection/treasure hunt.

Avengers #83 — "Come On In, …The Revolution's Fine!" by Roy Thomas, John Buscema, and Tom Palmer (Marvel, Dec. 1970)
    Batman #237 — "Night of the Reaper!" by Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, and Dick Giordano (DC, Dec. 1971)
    Marvel Feature #2 — "Nightmare on Bald Mountain!" by Roy Thomas, Ross Andru, and Sal Buscema (Marvel, Mar. 1972)
    The Mighty Thor #206 — "Rebirth!" by Gerry Conway, John Buscema, and Vince Colletta (Marvel, Dec. 1972)
    Justice League of America #103 — "A Stranger Walks among Us!" by Len Wein, Dick Dillin, and Dick Giordano (DC, Dec. 1972)
    Amazing Adventures #16 — "...And the Juggernaut Will Get You... If You Don't Watch Out!" by Steve Englehart, Marie Severin, Bob Brown, and Frank McLaughlin (Marvel, Jan. 1973)
    The Mighty Thor #207 — "Firesword!" by Gerry Conway, John Buscema, and Vince Colletta (Marvel, Jan. 1973)
    Avengers #119 — "Night of The Collector," by Steve Englehart, Bob Brown, and Don Heck (Marvel, Jan. 1974)
    The Mighty Thor #232 — "Lo, the Raging Battle!" by Gerry Conway, John Buscema, Dick Giordano, and Terry Austin (Marvel, Feb. 1975)
    Doctor Spektor #18 — "Masque Macabre," by Donald F. Glut and Jesse Santos (Gold Key, Dec. 1975)
    Freedom Fighters #6 — "Witching Hour for the Warrior Wizards!" by Bob Rozakis, Ramona Fradon, and Bob Smith (DC, Jan./Feb. 1977)
    Justice League of America #145 — "The Carnival of Souls!" by Steve Englehart, Dick Dillin, and Frank McLaughlin (DC, Aug. 1977)
    DC Super Stars #18 — "The Gargoyles," by Martin Pasko, Romeo Tanghal, and Dick Giordano (DC, Jan./Feb. 1978)
    Ghosts #95 — "All the Stage Is a Haunt," by Paul Kupperberg, Michael R. Adams, and Tex Blaisdell (DC, Dec. 1980)
    Defenders #100 — by J. M. DeMatteis, Don Perlin, and Joe Sinnott (Marvel, Oct. 1981)
    Thunderbunny #5 "Moonlight Miss," by Martin L. Greim and Brian Buniak (WaRP Graphics, Feb. 1986)
    Animal Man #50 — "Journal of a Plague Year," by Tom Veitch and Steve Dillon (DC, Aug. 1992)
    Generation X #22 — "All Hallows Eve," by Scott Lobdell, Chris Bachalo, Al Vey, and Scott Hanna (Marvel, Dec. 1996)
    Superboy and the Ravers #16 — "Half-Life of the Party," by Steve Mattsson, Karl Kesel, Josh Hood, and Dan Davis (DC, Dec. 1997)
  • Options
    Pants
    A month or two ago PBS broadcast Bill Murray receiving the Mark Twain Prize. Letterman was one of the final presenters and told a very moving story about Murray. It was really good to see Letterman on the tele again.
  • Options
    The Captain Marvel and E. Nelson Bridwell talk reminded me of the fantastic run he and Don Newton had on Captain Marvel in World's Finest Comics. Does anyone know if that has been collected?

Btw, I remember checking out the SHAZAM from the 40's to the 70's book from my local library when I was but a wee lad.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited December 2016
    Thought the judges were a little harsh in hanging an "L" on Murd for his "Americommando" answer. Gene Rayburn would've accepted it on Match Game!
  • Options
  • Options
    I share Chris' preference for stories that have an ending, but I don't see a series being an ongoing precluding that so much as does the constant, unsustainable need to elevate the threat level of each successive story within ongoing books these days. Most of us can toss out dozens of examples of stories we love which first appeared within an ongoing, but lately the storytelling style connecting one tale directly to the next--each with a bigger and badder enemy--lessens that satisfying sense of conclusion, as the hero never gets a chance to return to some semblance of their normal routine anymore.