Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1639 Talkback - Off the Racks: Thanos #1, Motor Girl #1, and More

We're kickin' it freestyle with Off the Racks this month! First, we collectively review Thanos #1 from Marvel and Motor Girl #1 from Terry Moore's Abstract Studio; then, each Geek presents an additional OTR pick of his own choosing. Anything could happen!! (Very little actually does, though.) (1:15:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @wildpigcomics, you don’t know Tryco/The Champion? Stop whatever you’re doing and go read this issue—one of my favorite comics when I was a kid (and the basis for the great “Dial ‘M’ for Monkey” episode).

• Options
    I went into Motor Girl assuming the gorilla would be a real character, so I too was taken by surprise with the reveal he is only a projection of her traumatized mind. I was expecting this to be, as @Adam_Murdough stated, his lightest, most whimsical story to date—and I was really looking forward to that after Rachel Rising. By the end of the first issue, though, I changed my mind. I think the series is going to end up going to some very dark places, and this initial lighter tone is merely a set-up and a sort of balance to the coming dark. In the end, I think it will feel very much like SiP in tone with the humor and the dark and the feels all playing off one another. The wild card here is the aliens (see issue #3)—I'm interested to see what their role in this story is going to be going forward.
  • Options
    Avengers #1.1 didn’t do a lot for me. It was fine, and normally this is the kind of thing I go for, but I’m not picking up the rest. I normally like Kitson’s art quite a bit, but this is some of the weakest work I’ve seen from him. I gave it a B- (or in CGS terms, a Borrow).
  • Options
    Eagerly awaiting the "Death isn't a cocktease" bumper stickers.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Allow me to be the first to say "this podcast episode is not showing up on my feed"."

:(

@Pants?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567

Allow me to be the first to say "this podcast episode is not showing up on my feed"."

:(

@Pants?

I'm just the talent. I'll let @brydeemer know.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
  • Options
    BrettBrett Posts: 10
    I loved Avengers 1.1 and 2.1 too ! It would be great if we could have a new Waid/Kitson "untold story" to read every month - first cab off the rank should be the untold stories of the "Commie Smasher" Captain America (with Jack Monroe as Bucky)
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

@wildpigcomics, you don’t know Tryco/The Champion? Stop whatever you’re doing and go read this issue—one of my favorite comics when I was a kid (and the basis for the great “Dial ‘M’ for Monkey” episode).

The Thing is full boxing regalia needs to be a statue or action figure.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

The Thing is full boxing regalia needs to be a statue or action figure.
    I don't buy many action figures these days, but I would buy that in a heartbeat, especially if it’s him all bruised and bloodied from the end of the story.
  • Options
    Brett said:

I loved Avengers 1.1 and 2.1 too ! It would be great if we could have a new Waid/Kitson "untold story" to read every month - first cab off the rank should be the untold stories of the "Commie Smasher" Captain America (with Jack Monroe as Bucky)

You ever read this? It's a similar type of untold story series.

http://marvel.com/comics/series/724/avengers_earths_mightiest_heroes_2004_-_2005
  • Options
    Re: The Kooky Quartet Avengers mini-series:

I think the modern-day consequence of the storyline (which the guys were wondering about) will have something to do with the mysterious Avenger X character (the girl who has the power to amplify the Avengers' powers, prowess, and overall effectiveness). Perhaps she's going to show up in Waid's current-day Avengers series looking for revenge, etc.
  • Options
    "Death is many things, but a 'slut' she's not, nor is she a 'cock-tease'" @Adam_Murdough

Quote of the episode (so far). I'm a fan of Thanos, to be sure, but I've found myself disappointed more than once when he's written by someone other than Jim Starlin. That "twice shy" approach made me decide to trade wait for this if it got good reviews. From what you guys said about issue #1 in this episode, it may turn out to be very good. I like what I heard.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I forgot all about Motor Girl.
    I wonder if I should try to catch up or wait for the trades.

"sigh"
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

Re: The Kooky Quartet Avengers mini-series:

I think the modern-day consequence of the storyline (which the guys were wondering about) will have something to do with the mysterious Avenger X character (the girl who has the power to amplify the Avengers' powers, prowess, and overall effectiveness). Perhaps she's going to show up in Waid's current-day Avengers series looking for revenge, etc.

From the "Coming This Year" page in Waid & Del Mundo's Avengers #1

As fun as Avengers.1 is, it's not even the best Avengers book Waid has on the shelves at the moment.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, you guys talked about 3 series that I'm really enjoying! And I pretty much agree with everything talked about this episode. Though I'm not so well-versed in the Starlin Thanos as Murd might be, I remember reading a lot of the stories back in the 70's and enjoyed what has happened in the first two issues. Motor Girl: I enjoyed it, but I thought it was a bit short (basically left me wanting more which I guess is good). And Avengers 1.1, I liked it. I liked the continuity references, the Hawkeye quips and the art. Though I didn't think it was Kitson's best, I thought it was well-done. I was a little annoyed at the modern dialogue (was the word "terrorist" used so familiarly back then?) and as Murd referenced. Oh! I also read that Batman Annual. Not bad, but not great. Muddle the Murd: My goodness...he remembers the name of Al Pratt's love interest?!?! Wow! Not muddled...
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited February 2017

"Death is many things, but a 'slut' she's not, nor is she a 'cock-tease'" @Adam_Murdough

To quote the late, great Jamie D ...