Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvelous Tales From the World's Greatest Comic Podcast - A look back at past CGS episodes - #211

I thought it would be fun to dig into the back issues of CGS episodes and have discussions with the benefit of time and experience of what our impressions are now. CGS provides a GREAT time time-capsule for what was going in comics, movies and television over the last 12 and going on 13 years. I will randomly pick a month and a year and find an episode to review. Take advantage of the CGS app or listen from the website and posts your thoughts and memories of the episode and that era. Since this is kind of a "reprint" thread I combined the two titles of my favorite reprint series for the Amazing Spider-man and the Fantastic Four, Marvel Tales and the World's Greatest Comic Magazine. Here is the first episode

CGS: Episode 211 (December 27, 2006)

Top 5 things we are looking forward to in 2007. In this episode we are joined by Sean Whelan from Raging Bullets, Mr. Phil from Indie Spinner Rack and Vince B and David Price from Bullpen Bulletins to get their picks for the top 5 DC, Indie, and Marvel books to look for in 2007.

This is a fun episode because as we are looking back the geeks and their guests are looking ahead to 2007(!). That's ten years ago!

The main take away of this episode is that I never read Freddie and Me. I guess I need to remedy that. Also it was cool hearing the name Jeffery Brown doing the Transformer parody and now he has all of those Star Wars books out now like Vader and Son. It's cool that Vince B. and David Price are still out there podcasting with Sean Whelan. Indie Spinner Rack hasn't had a episode out since 2015 maybe they can get to 200. They stopped at 199.

I listened last week and I will listen again to get some more thoughts. It's jam-packed with info. I will post these as each discussion starts to plateau. Enjoy!

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    Here’s the link to listen on the website.
    Of the books talked about, the only ones I read were Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil, Brave and the Bold... for the first year and a half or so anyway, and Pulphope. Shazam was good, but not as good as I was anticipating. Brave and the Bold was decent enough, but only a couple of issues really stood out. But the Pulphope book was pretty darned good. There was some interesting insight in there, along with some amazing artwork. We’re still waiting for that THB collection though.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I remember they talked a lot about Brave and The Bold #33 which had Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Zatanna being one of the best issues of this series after it came out. Never could find it but I guess I can get it digitally now. I need to post another one of these.

I remember they talked a lot about Brave and The Bold #33 which had Batgirl, Wonder Woman, and Zatanna being one of the best issues of this series after it came out. Never could find it but I guess I can get it digitally now. I need to post another one of these.

That was definitely the highlight of the series. I dropped it from my list around issue #17, but based on the buzz from that issue I picked up the trade collecting JMS’s run. The rest of his stories were pretty good, but #33 was top-notch.