Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1652 Talkback - Comic Talk

Pop open the tape decks on your iPods and slip in this Awesome Mix of fun topics! Included in the playlist for this episode are fond reflections on the fun and frolics found on Free Comic Book Day 2017; thoughts on the current run of Blue Beetle from Shane and Wonder Woman: Earth One from Murd; and, taking up the entirety of Side B, our SPOILER-saturated salute to Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2! Plus bonus tracks! (1:35:55)

Listen here.

Comments

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    I had to click Awesome for this post, cuz Awesome Mix.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Not completely done with this one yet, so maybe you eventually mentioned it in your GotG discussion, but ...

In addition to Starhawk and Martinex, the movie also had Ving Rhames as Charlie-27 in the Ravager funeral scene. Can Vance Astro be far behind at this point??

• HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    I'm always a bit disappointed when some movies don't get a full episode to themselves. I always like the big long discussions.

Still though, looking forward to hearing what everyone thought!
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited May 2017
    The Comic Talk episodes are quickly becoming my favorites. As entertaining as the other types of episodes are, none of them have the same sense of casual, fun conversation as the Comic Talks. I personally don't have a close group of "geek pals", so episodes like this make me feel like I'm part of one...so thanks for that, guys.

I have a few thoughts to add to the Guardians/comic book movies discussion:

1. Guardians Vol. 2: Like Murd, I was also a bit puzzled over Ego classifying himself as a "Celestial". However, after thinking about it and looking at it another way, perhaps Ego (like all megalomaniacs) sees himself as something more than he actually is. Assuming Ego is familiar with the various powers and principalities across the cosmos, it's not a great leap to imagine this deranged sentient planet classifying himself as part of that highest stratum of the cosmic food chain. After all, why would we expect anything less than invincible and infinite self-regard from an entity named "Ego"? Yeah, I still wish they hadn't used the term "Celestial", but in an odd way, the wildly misapplied term adds a bit more menace and madness to this planetary god-wannabe.

2. Regarding the continuing slow-motion crash of the WB/DC movie plans, I mostly agree with Murd's assessment that the DC movies have been compromised by the legions of faceless WB suits who have no understanding of their iconic superhero characters. However, I also think that Geoff Johns, aka "President and Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment" needs to share some of the blame as well. He's been in the position long enough for us to start wondering what role he's played in the many, many terrible creative decisions, setbacks,and general chaos over the past several years. We all remember when the up-and-coming Johns was helming large DC events like "Infinite Crisis" and the soft-spoken writer's weird penchant for scenes of sudden violence (i.e. Superboy carving a bloody swath through the then-Teen Titans, beating the Superman of Earth-2 to death, etc), and I see that same appetite for dark, dreary themes in the movies he's shepherding through the creative process. Weirdly, nobody ever seems to talk about (or talk directly to Johns about) this, or determine what his exact role is in setting the tone for the DC cinematic universe. Does he control Zack Snyder, or does Snyder control him? Does Johns simply not understand that Marvel is eating DC/WB's lunch, or doesn't he care? Where is the passion or, at the very least, the feeling of responsibility that he should feel toward fans and the characters themselves? Why isn't Johns a more visible personality like Marvel's Kevin Feige, making statements, holding press conferences, giving interviews, and generally building confidence and coherence in his plans? Perhaps the dying embers of "comics journalism" can stop moaning about the impending extinction of comics journalism and do some actual comics journalism about Johns and his actual role and responsibilities at DC Entertainment.

Wow...sorry to go on and on. Thanks again for a great "comic talk" episode, guys. My vote is to do two Comic Talks each month and dump the "Previews" episodes. Those are by far the toughest episodes to get all the way through...and I sense that you guys might feel the same way on your end.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I know Chris mentioned what he wants from Thanos but keep in mind Disney probably won't go that far
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DAR said:

I know Chris mentioned what he wants from Thanos but keep in mind Disney probably won't go that far

I don't know. Of course everyone of the heroes died violently in Rogue One, but I expect it won't be over the top brutal violence.
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Like most I'm sure, I enjoyed this episode a lot! First....

1. Wild Pig FCBD Sale: It times like these when I wished I lived anywhere near the CGS gang! ...But Pants only won one raffle? That's a bit bizarre...

2. Loved Guardians Vol. 2, but I don't know exactly where I'd rank it. Probably just behind the first one. I enjoyed it almost as much as the first one, but thought they overreached with some of the humor at points. Don't get me wrong, I was laughing out loud at various times during the movie, but sometimes they took the joking too far. Anyway, I thought the movie was a visual feast and combined with the acting and the soundtrack (not as good as the first mix tape, but pretty good) was fantastic. Oh, Murd committed about Mantis that she didn't really show off her physical skills. I think there was one scene where 3 or 4 of them were trying to escape Ego and they ended up having to negotiate a landing on the planet's surface. I think Starlord landed first, then Gamora, and Mantis followed her in a landing that to me seemed very matter-of-fact, like she had been trained at some point, so I wouldn't underestimate her physical prowess just yet. I thought the Stan Lee cameo(s) were going a bit far, but what can you do? Oh, and as Chris mentioned, the end credits were so creative, VERY much like the inside sleeve of a double album (Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for example). I also agree that yeah, there probably won't be a massive amount of brutal bloodshed shown in the future fight against Thanos. We'll probably get something like what was in Tony's daydream sequence in Avengers 2 or as someone above said just quick shots of people getting killed as in Rogue One.

2. The DC movies: I don't have much to add here except that I hope they'll get better.

3. Comic talk vs. Previews: "dump the Previews episode?" Well, I hope that doesn't happen, but perhaps it could become more focused on perhaps what each CGSer is actually getting and not just recommendations. Well, actually I don't have a problem with the way it's done now (as you DO often say "I'm getting this or that"...

4. That "memory retention" talk was quite funny. I do often wonder how Murd is able to retain all of that information. Is it just using it or re-learning or reciting or just challenging himself to remember? Anyway, as Shane said, people remember what they want to remember. Pants does it too, only it's with Letterman, the Monkees, and various other TV shows.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    "My vote is to do two Comic Talks each month and dump the "Previews" episodes."

As long as were voting make my vote a "no". I enjoy the Previews episodes.
    My vote is to keep all of the following episode types:

1) Previews
    2) Uncle Sal
    3) Comic Talk
    4) World of Toys
    5) Spotlight
    6) C2E2 tapes
    7) Off the Rack
    8) any episode featuring Petey
    9) Murd's Time Bubble

...and I will happily continue to skip the even-numbered selections above.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552

My vote is for the guys to do whatever they want as long as it keeps the show fun and interesting for them, and to drop whatever they don't enjoy doing. The show will only be fun to listen to if the guys are having fun making it.

Fine. Go ahead and spoil our fun by being reasonable.

;)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    aquatroy said:

My vote is for the guys to do whatever they want as long as it keeps the show fun and interesting for them, and to drop whatever they don't enjoy doing. The show will only be fun to listen to if the guys are having fun making it.

Fine. Go ahead and spoil our fun by being reasonable.

;)
    Spoilsport just happens to be my middle name. It was passed down to me from my father's side of the family. :smile:
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited May 2017
    100% love the Previews episodes. Please don't even consider stopping! They're such a great heads-up on what'll be coming down the pike. Murd, Chris and Pants do an outstanding job of pointing out so many comics and related items I'd never have looked for, had it not been for their descriptions/input. Also love the random insights we get into our CGS hosts :joy:

As for GotG2, I didn't like it as much as you guys did, but hey, I'm just glad we live in an era where major film/TV studios are trying to make kickass comic book content.
    I think one of the reasons I was okay with them calling Ego a Celestial was because of their use of Ego seeding himself throughout the universe. I certainly never expected The Celestial Seed concept of Earth X to make its way into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, that's for sure.

I was also glad to see Eternity mentioned, starry eyes and all. Would have been fun to see the form on full display, but I don't think their use of Eternity was unintentional. Expect that to factor in in the future.

And for the love of Pete (Rios), do whatever type of shows you guys want, guys and gal (Hey Dani). It's your show, we are but listeners. Except for when one of us guests, then we're a guest. But otherwise we're listeners. ;)
    Hey, didn't mean to cause such a hoo-hah by suggesting the Previews episodes go away. The Geeks can obviously do whatever they want to do....God knows they've been doing it long enough. But sometimes people fall into a pattern, and patterns can turn into "autopilot". Some of the Previews episodes feel a little "autopilot" to me....especially when so many of the same titles are recommended month after month.

Don't worry fellow CGS fans...it's just one guy's opinion. But I'm stickin' to it.
    How about a Top Five episode? There hasn't been one of those in a long, long, time.

Don't worry fellow CGS fans...it's just one guy's opinion. But I'm stickin' to it.

Agreed.

FWIW, I enjoy the Previews episodes for many of the reasons listed above. There are some CGS episodes I skip, but somebody out there enjoys that type of episode. So listen to what you enjoy, and skip the rest. Life's too short.

So listen to what you enjoy, and skip the rest. Life's too short.

Again, not losing sleep over it or anything. Just a suggestion.
    edited May 2017

How about a Top Five episode? There hasn't been one of those in a long, long, time.

@Mark_Engblom The last one was in November, so I'd expect another one once the geeks find a suitable topic!
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030

@Mark_Engblom The last one was in November, so I'd expect another one once the geeks find a suitable topic!
    Every time I think top five topics have been exhausted they come up with another one.
    I did an episode search and did not see Top 5 Live-Action Television shows. @Pants @Adam_Murdough @wildpigcomics @ShaneKelly Maybe down the line? There's been a whole bunch since the start of the show. And it could be two different lists comic/super-hero and then sci-fi/other.
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Perhaps a "Top 5 'Top 5 Topics' Show"!
    MatchkitJOHN demonstrates it's not tough to come up with Top Five topics.
    Here's 25 more:

Top 5 Robots
    Top 5 LAMEST comic book vehicles
    Top 5 Character Deaths
    Top 5 Comic Book Covers
    Top 5 Costume Upgrades
    Top 5 Best Reboots
    Top 5 Worst Reboots
    Top 5 Superman Family transformations
    Top 5 Underrated Comics
    Top 5 Overrated Comics
    Top 5 Kid Heroes
    Top 5 Cosmic Characters
    Top 5 Best Supporting Characters
    Top 5 Worst Supporting Characters
    Top 5 Movie Monsters
    Top 5 Childhood Toys
    Top 5 Aliens
    Top 5 Lame Villains
    Top 5 Comic Book Adaptations (movies, TV, radio, novelization, etc)
    Top 5 Super Powers
    Top 5 Animated series
    Top 5 Comic Book Events (best or worst)
    Top 5 Spaceships
    Top 5 Fictional Characters (from any genre)
    Top 5 Best/Worst Comic Industry Decisions/Trends

MatchkitJOHN demonstrates it's not tough to come up with Top Five topics.

Actually those are all the Top 5 episodes CGS has done. I thought you can pick your Top 5 Top 5 from those. That's a nice list you came up with! Nice job!
    My favorite is "Corduroy".
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508

My favorite is "Corduroy".

Yes, I don't know if Pants really wears corduroy pants or not, but the name seems to fit him well.