Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

August 2017 Solicitations (June Previews) | What Looks Good?

Local comic shoppers, tighten up your pull-lists. Early birds, prepare to place your pre-orders here: DCBService.com. Online orders begin around June 6th.

+++++++++++++

Check out the following links:

+ 451 Media Group
+ Aardvark Anaheim
+ Action Lab Entertainment
+ Aftershock Comics
+ American Gothic Press
+ Archie Comics
+ Aspen Press
+ Blackbox Comics
+ Bongo Comics
+ BOOM! Studios
+ Caliber Entertainment
+ Chapterhouse Comics
+ Coffin Comics
+ Continuity Comics
+ Darby Pop Publishing
+ Dark Horse Comics
+ DC Comics
+ Devils Due/1First Comics
+ Dynamite Entertainment
+ IDW Publishing
+ Image Comics
+ Lion Forge Comics
+ Marvel Comics
+ Oni Press
+ Rothic Comics
+ Space Goat Publishing
+ Valiant Entertainment
+ Vault Comics

So what's going into your shopping cart? Or on your pull-list? You may want to wait until we can all go through the official catalogue with @Adam_Murdough, @Pants, @ShaneKelly, and @wildpigcomics as they post their next Previews podcast episode (likely within the first week or so of June), before you decide to finalize your order.

If you know of any publishers that were been left out, but who have solicits for August on the web, please add that in a reply comment to this thread. Also of note, there is usually a Free PDF version of Previews posted online here around the first week of the month.

++++++++

Thanks to the following sites: FirstComicsNews.com, ComicBookResources.com, ComicList.com, Comic Cavalcade (comcav.net), ConstantCollectible.com, ComicsContinuum.com, Newsarama.com

Comments

• fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Seeing all the Kirby covers for this month like...

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Bennett + Moritat + Sheena + .25 = bought
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2017
    I see a few things that catch my eye.

Looking at another Archie Comics MARVEL COMICS DIGEST #2
    And from DC, I like the FUTURE QUEST SHOWCASE #1
    JACK KIRBY’S FOURTH WORLD OMNIBUS HC
    BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT: THE MASTER RACE HC

From Marvel I am definitely picking up all of the TRUE BELIEVERS JACK KIRBY REPRINTS

I've been waiting for the RED TEAM: DOUBLE TAP, CENTER MASS TPB

Plus, I know I will pick up Turok #1, Sheena #0, and the newest volume of IMAGE+ #1 (which comes free when you order Previews catalogue).
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Lots of good stuff. One that caught my eye was RADIOACTIVE MAN HC VOL 01 RADIOACTIVE REPOSITORY ..think I'll be adding this to my bookshelf.

From Marvel I am definitely picking up all of the TRUE BELIEVERS JACK KIRBY REPRINTS

Agreed.

Loving your GiF choices this thread @fredzilla
    They kinda write themselves. ;)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Jessica Jones #11
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #23
    Hawkeye #9
    Silver Surfer #14
    Black Panther #17
    Mr. Higgins Comes Home OGN
    Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955—Secret Nature
    Lobster Johnson: Mangekyo
    B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know #2
    Harrow County vol. 6 TP
    Black Hammer #12
    Dept. H #17
    Aquaman #27
    Future Quest Showcase #1
    Mister Miracle #1 — Tom came to the booth at the NYCC last October, and we talked Fourth World for a while. He hinted he had a new series in development, and this must be it. Can’t wait.
    Kamandi Challenge #8 — The Dude! Why isn’t Rude the main cover artist?!? I really don’t want Jim Lee on the front of my Steve Rude comic.
    Bug!: The Adventures of the Forager #4
    Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye #11
    Astro City #47
    Mage: The Hero Denied #1
    Black Cloud #5
    Descender #23
    I Hate Fairyland #15
    Motor Girl #8
    Eleanor & the Egret #4
    Archie #23
    Grass Kings #6
    Steven Universe vol. 1 TP
    Lark’s Killer #1
    Love & Rockets vol. 4 #3

Michael Chabon’s The Escapists TP — I'm not getting this because I already have the original comics, but this is in a larger format and it's very good, so I'm just pointing it out.

Rashomon: A Commissioner Heigo Kobayashi Case HC — This looks very interesting, but I don't think I have room for it in my budget.

DC’s Kirby One-Shots — I don't know if I'll get any of these or not. The New Gods Special has a Simonson backup, but the rest doesn't interest me. I might get the Newsboy Legion and Boy Commandos Special since it's Chaykin, and I might get the Sandman Special because I like Bogdanove and Leonardi. Not particularly intersted in the creative teams for the Manhunter Special. The Darkseid Special has a Steve Rude-drawn OMAC backup, so I might get that one. And the Black Racer and Shilo Norman Special is drawn by Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz—that’ll be hard to pass up. My biggest problem with these is that they're all $4.99 because they're padded out with Kirby reprints which I don’t need.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited June 2017
    Alters #6 - If Paul Jenkins writes it, I will read it.

Batgirl #14 - Hope Larson is one of the most talented female writers currently working in comics. Her adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time remains one of my very favorite books.

Fantomah #4 - When is there going to be a Stardust the Super Wizard revival?

No World #5 - My relationship with Scott Lobdell has been complicated over the years. From thinking he was the worst writer to ever pen an Excalibur story to actually buying a book from Aspen because his name is attached to it; it's been an interesting journey, to say the least. Just don't expect me to follow you to Zenoscope, Scott. If I ever find out you're writing an Alice in Wonderland series, you're dead to me.

Sisters of Sorrow #2 - Combined with Warrior Nun Areala, does "nun/action" finally qualify for it's own subgenre now?

Suicide Squad Black Files #1 - Mike W. Barr writing a mini-series co-starring Gentleman Ghost. It's like it was written just for me.

I'd be FAR more interested in this if Mignola was on the art as well. I was checking out the preview pages in Previews today and lost all interest.

Incidentals from Lion Forge caught my eye. Anyone reading anything from Lion Forge?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I'd be FAR more interested in this if Mignola was on the art as well. I was checking out the preview pages in Previews today and lost all interest.
    I'd rather have Mignola art as well, but I like what I see from Warwick Johnson Caldwell.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited June 2017
    The Order as it Stands:

The Random Stuff

Sheena #0 Cvr A Lupacchino *Special Discount* - 12 CENTS! This book is TWELVE CENTS after the DCBS discount. I don't know when I've ever dropped TWELVE CENTS on something that has this much potential!
    Robotech #2 Cvr B Kerschl - This is the cover that has Lisa Hayes on it. One of my early anime crushes.
    Josie & The Pussycats #9 Cvr A Audrey Mok
    Added Josie & The Pussycats Collected Edition - Similar to the recent Sabrina collection. At $5 (after DCBS discount) I really can't turn it down. 400 pages of long tails and ears for hats.

The DC Stuff
    Supergirl #12
    Legion By Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning TP Vol 01
    DC Super Hero Girls TP Vol 04 Past Times At Super Hero High
    Batman Dark Knight Master Race HC - Because I have to...I really have to!
    Batman 66 Meets Wonder Woman 77 HC - Because I want to...I really WANT to!

Man That's A Lot of Manga
    Unmagical Girl GN Vol 01 - This has potential. A magical girl is thrust out of her television existence and suddenly has to live in "our" world with rent, body odor, shopping for mundane items, etc...
    Non Non Biyori GN Vol 08
    Monster Girl Encyclopedia SC Vol 02 (MR)
    Cutie Honey A Go Go GN Vol 01 (MR) - May dump in favor of something else.
    Aho Girl (Clueless Girl) GN Vol 02

DC’s Kirby One-Shots — I don't know if I'll get any of these or not. The New Gods Special has a Simonson backup, but the rest doesn't interest me. I might get the Newsboy Legion and Boy Commandos Special since it's Chaykin, and I might get the Sandman Special because I like Bogdanove and Leonardi. Not particularly intersted in the creative teams for the Manhunter Special. The Darkseid Special has a Steve Rude-drawn OMAC backup, so I might get that one. And the Black Racer and Shilo Norman Special is drawn by Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz—that’ll be hard to pass up. My biggest problem with these is that they're all $4.99 because they're padded out with Kirby reprints which I don’t need.

I'm gonna wait on the reviews and then pick up in trade. I like all of the creative teams, but not the cover prices. Trade will be the better deal and I can keep it on my shelf. I'm a bit put off at DC's insistence to put out ALL of their Kirby celebration stuff (except Kamandi Challenge) in the same month. It makes those trying to maintain a budget have to make difficult decisions. I realize the omnibus and MM trades come out in later months, but the pre-order is now.