Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Denver Comic Con

How many Mile High geeks are going?
I'll be there Saturday wearing a giant burgundy frock! Come say hi!

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I'll be there working Friday and Saturday until 2:30pm. Swing by the Colorado Connections Academy booth and say, "Hey!" I believe we're right by the kid's corral. The rest of the time I'll be wandering the floor and trying to get into panels I won't have to line up 4+ hours to get in to.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Did anyone else make it? I met @aquatroy (dude, you're tall--and so is your son!).

I got some comics by Humberto Ramos--one of my top 3 favorite artists. I also had him sign my Spider-Man and Green Goblin action figures that were based off of his designs. He had a bunch of pages from The Champions for sale. If only I had more $$. His pencils are amazing, but when he inks his own work, it is stunning.

I also picked up a couple of late Bronze Age ASM books, Showcase Presents Challengers of the Unknown Vol. 1, and The Incredible Hulk: Ground Zero TPB (Peter David and Todd McFarlane) for less that $20! I've learned over the years that conventions aren't really places to get great deals, unless you're patient and look.

I made it to a couple of educational panels--one was great, the other no so much. The presenter left immediately after the panel was over. I think he knew it didn't go so well.

As I was leaving the con, I saw Larry Hama sitting at his table sketching. No one was around, so I walked up and told him how I grew up playing with GI Joe action figures and loved watching the cartoon. I explained that I had never read the comic book--primarily because I didn't know it existed, but his work still had a large impact on my growing up. He told me he's never actually seen any of the animated shows (I knew that he didn't really work on thumb, but that he did the comic and wrote the file cards on the back of the action figure package). I meant to tell him that I studied the file cards of the action figures so that I would know everything about each figure, but either I wasn't thinking right or I was starting to get a little starstruck. It made things a little awkward. I told him I have since bought the books and have read a few and thanked him for the work he put into them.