Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Email Problems; Blacklisting? Please Help!

It appears that my Gmail (and possibly Yahoo) accounts have landed on a blacklist, which has been causing many email providers to not receive anything from my IP. Not sure if my account was hacked, or what, but trying to track down a way to get removed from blacklist. Can anyone help?

Checking the "Details" part of my Gmail page, no other IP has accessed my account recently. However, a few months back, I received an alert from Gmail that an unfamiliar IP was accessing my account and was told to change my password. I did so, and haven't received those alerts since. However, could that period have landed me on any blacklists?

Emails sent from 2 Gmail addresses don't make it to recipients at Comcast, wi.rr, and others never arrive. I set up a Yahoo account and am now having similar issues...is my IP on a blacklist now?

Help.

Comments

• Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    You need to check the major blacklists to see which one(s) you are on, and then you will need to appeal each one individually as they require. Usually a web form or email. Also change all of your passwords to strong ones.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Checking the "Details" part of my Gmail page, no other IP has accessed my account recently. However, a few months back, I received an alert from Gmail that an unfamiliar IP was accessing my account and was told to change my password. I did so, and haven't received those alerts since. However, could that period have landed me on any blacklists?
    Actually, I think this is your problem. I've accessed my gmail from homes on opposite ends of the country, my phone, my school and maybe even a Kinko's somewhere. I've never once gotten an alert from Gmail that an unfamiliar IP was accessing my account. I think you got phished. I highly doubt that that alert actually came from Gmail.
  • Options
    I didn't follow any links and just changed my password.

As it turns out, the problem wasn't with my email or IP at all.

Somehow the address of my blog, atomictiki.blogspot.com, had been tagged as spam.

Of course, as a good self-promoter, I had included that signature at the end of all of my emails—from Gmail to Yahoo, etc—so it was always a problem for the internet providers that had targeted my blog as a spam site (Comcast and wi.rr were both definitely on this list; who knows who else was).

When I posted this on Twitter a couple of minutes ago, someone alerted me to a nasty bit of malware that went around and infected CSS code last fall and may have hit my page.

Thanks, though, to you guys for the troubleshooting assist!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    should I not have named that last virus I created "Athena Voltaire" ?
    it was meant to be an homage to you!

kidding...