Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman Trades and Whatnot - Updated (I Need Your Help)

So I have been really into Batman lately, no doubt due to Scott Snyder's masterpiece this past year. So I looked into what I had previously marked down to get get and added some, but I need your help to put them in the order I should read and if there are any other trades I should put in there. This is what I have so far:
ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER VOL 1 HC
ARKHAM ASYLUM TP
BATMAN FACES TP
BATMAN HUSH COMPLETE TP
BATMAN KING TUTS TOMB TP
BATMAN NO MANS LAND VOL 5 TP
BATMAN RULES OF ENGAGEMENT TP
BATMAN AND ROBIN BATMAN REBORN TP
BATMAN UNDER THE RED HOOD TP

I have already read Dark Knight Returns and Killing Joke.
Thanks for the help

Best Answer

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Answer ✓
    Some good Batman trades IMO would include
    Batman: The Black Mirror (an amazing Scott Snyder story)
    Batman: Black & White (there are more then one volume but all are good stuff)
    Batman Archives (has golden age stories and I find them to be very good)
    DC Classics Library: A Death in the Family (collects A Death in the Family & A Lonely Place of Dying)

Answers

• Options
    FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    Batman: Death and the Maidens was pretty good.
    There's always Knightfall as well.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Dark Knight Strikes Back is worth reading. Try to go into it without any spoilers. Also if you haven't read them Batman Year one and Year three are great.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Long Halloween should probably get added in there

or in place of All Star Batman and Robin......that was not something I enjoyed but it's Jim Lee doing batman so you'll have something pretty to look at if the story upsets you
  • Options

or in place of All Star Batman and Robin......that was not something I enjoyed but it's Jim Lee doing batman so you'll have something pretty to look at if the story upsets you
    It seems sometimes that I am the only person that LOVED ASB&R but hated All Star Superman.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    It seems sometimes that I am the only person that LOVED ASB&R but hated All Star Superman.
    I hate All Star Superman, maybe I'll have the same experience

• Options
    I hate All Star Superman, maybe I'll have the same experience

Be ready to catch some heat for saying you didnt like ASS brah. ;)

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

It all depends what you're looking for. I look at ASB&R as an over-the-top satire of the grim-and-gritty Batman and even of Frank Miller himself and on that note, I love it. I don't think it's what the initial announcements of the series made it out to be at all. I'd love to see a conclusion to it, but I doubt we ever will.
  • Options

It all depends what you're looking for. I look at ASB&R as an over-the-top satire of the grim-and-gritty Batman and even of Frank Miller himself and on that note, I love it. I don't think it's what the initial announcements of the series made it out to be at all. I'd love to see a conclusion to it, but I doubt we ever will.

That is how I see ASB&R. And I also wish it would get completed. I would be happy if they just got another artist to finish it. Cause it seems like Jim Lee doesn't want to work on it. And I am not a huge fan of Lee's art. Like with Hush I heard for years how great it was. So I put the trades on my X-mas wish list. Read it and to me it came off as something I would have thought up during a boring 7th grade study hall session. And the Jim Lee art wasn't that great. I have been trying to trade/sell/give away my Hush trade and no one wants them.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I always recommend the Strange Apparitions tpb. It collects the Steve Englehart/Marshall Rogers/Walt Simonson/Terry Austin run in, IIRC, Detective Comics in the 70s. It's my favorite run of Batman stories ever, and a huge influence on Batman: The Animated Series. Just brilliant stuff.
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    edited May 2012
    Ok, so I need your help for the second part of my quest. I took into account what you guys said and came up with an updated list. In what order should these be read. I always need an order for things, it is my OCD nature. Thanks for the help.

ALL STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN THE BOY WONDER VOL 1 HC
    ARKHAM ASYLUM TP
    BATMAN A DEATH IN THE FAMILY TP
    BATMAN HUSH COMPLETE TP
    BATMAN KNIGHTFALL PART 1 BROKEN BAT TP
    BATMAN KNIGHTFALL PART 2 WHO RULES THE NIGHT TP
    BATMAN NO MANS LAND VOL 5 TP
    BATMAN RULES OF ENGAGEMENT TP
    BATMAN AND ROBIN BATMAN REBORN TP
    BATMAN THE LONG HALLOWEEN TP
    BATMAN UNDER THE RED HOOD TP
    BATMAN YEAR ONE TP