Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Runaways-Hulu

The first three episodes premiered yesterday on Hulu. Based on the Brian K Vaughn comic. I've heard of it but never read. So I can't compare but I did like what I've seen so far

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    The original BKV series is amazing and worth a read. Comixology has a sale going on right now for all of it.

My favorite story to tell about the impact of the comic is when I gave Runaways to a student of mine who didn't have a silent reading book. She glared at me and said, "I don't read comic books." I told her to read the first 20 pages and then she could make that call. For the whole class period, she had the book laying on her lap and would sneak in reading as we went throughout the class period. When class ended, she stuck around until everyone was gone and asked, "Are there any more of these?" I let her take home the deluxe Vol. 1 that night and she came back for Vols. 2 and 3 the next day before school. If that doesn't speak to the quality of the book, I don't know what you want. I'm looking forward to watching the show.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited December 2017
    I'm on episode 4. Uh... when do they start actually running away? You thought Bendis' decompression in the comics was bad? I have a sinking feeling they're not going to run away until the last episode or two.

Edit: Episode 5 was a lot better. I realized what my problem was with the series and that is that the episodes are not linear. The first few episodes bounced back and forth, and showed the audience different perspectives. I suppose that's okay, but it made thinks feel really slow. The weird random soap opera music in dramatic situations does not make it any better. Slow start, but it's finding its legs and getting better.

We canceled our Hulu subscription recently, so I only have until 12/25 to get all the way caught up with what's been released. I love the look of the show, but it's a little too soap opera for me.