Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: The Amazing Spiderman

Uh oh.......
----------
Sony Hates "The Amazing Spiderman"

(latino-review.com) Sometimes there are legitimate reasons for rewrites and other times it just seems like someone (director, producer, etc.) wants thier own tastes added to the screenplay. Well, that isn’t the case with The Amazing Spider-man 2, or whatever they’re going to call it.

Badass Digest reported Sony’s reasons today. Apparently they hate The Amazing Sipder-man. Yep, the suits think its terrible and they don’t want they guy who wrote it to write the next installment.
So why did they hire Orci and Kurtzman? Very simple: They write hit movies. Just take a look at they’re resume. It includes movies like the Transformers franchise, Star Trek and Mission: Impossible III.

Where does this leave The Amazing Spider-man director Mark Webb? Who knows? If the movie is as bad as Sony seems to think it is, it can’t solely be blamed on the script, can it? I would think Webb bears some responsibility.
Or course, none of this means anything if the movie is a hit, which it probably will be. At this point I think it’s pretty safe to say Spider-man is critic proof. Even the much derided Spider-man 3 grossed over $300 million domestically.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Wow. Just...wow.

That's Hollywood, I guess. But I'd love to know what it is that they hate about it.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    In all fairness the fact that the suits hate it doesn't mean much.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    You're absolutely right - but its not a good sign.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm going to reserve judgment until I see it. And, honestly, sometimes the suits hating something only makes me like it more.

I wonder, though... in the wake of Dark Knight, studio heads all wanted "broody" superhero movies (despite the public success of the less-broody Marvel movies showing the public wants *good* superhero movies, not specifically broody ones). Amazing Spidey looks pretty broody, if the trailers are to be believed. Maybe like in the comics, broody movie Spidey isn't fun Spidey. We'll see, I guess.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Wow. Just...wow.

That's Hollywood, I guess. But I'd love to know what it is that they hate about it.
    I'd start with the hideous butchering of the costume and go from there...
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Wow. Just...wow.

I'd start with the hideous butchering of the costume and go from there...
    I'd think the fans would be more upset about that than the suits.
  • Options
    You're absolutely right - but its not a good sign.
    Don't get me wrong... I agree it's a troubling sign, but I'm trying to remain optimistic until I see the movie for myself and then I'll complain about it.
  • Options
    I wonder, though... in the wake of Dark Knight, studio heads all wanted "broody" superhero movies (despite the public success of the less-broody Marvel movies showing the public wants *good* superhero movies, not specifically broody ones). Amazing Spidey looks pretty broody, if the trailers are to be believed. Maybe like in the comics, broody movie Spidey isn't fun Spidey. We'll see, I guess.
    I'm only an off-and-on Spidey reader, but from what I've seen, brooding Peter Parker is normal. Brooding Spider-Man is not. Spider-Man was the class clown who cracked jokes all the time to cover up his insecurities and fears and problems (much like myself in my younger days in many ways). It's a difficult tightrope to walk. If Peter Parker's insecurities start showing up in Spider-Man, it's off, but if Spider-Man's cockiness and humor show up in Peter Parker, it's also off. But at the same time, they still need to be written as the same person - just different sides of the same person. Different routes that a person with Peter Parker's problems can take.

And of course, as he gets older, he becomes a bit more well-adjusted as most people do, but this movie isn't about a grown-up Peter Parker (even if they've got an adult playing the part).
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Let's remember that all of the stuff we hated in Spider-Man 3 is the stuff Sony asked for...
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Way to take responsibilty there Sony. All you did was hire the people to make it. I am only going to see this movie if Brad Mylo gives it an entusiatistic thumbs up! :) There's things I can overlook but its just that costume and losing his mask in the trailer.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Way to take responsibilty there Sony. All you did was hire the people to make it. I am only going to see this movie if Brad Mylo gives it an entusiatistic thumbs up! :) There's things I can overlook but its just that costume and losing his mask in the trailer.
    Losing the mask is something the actors are always gonna want.

Can't say I blame them.

• Options
    Losing the mask is something the actors are always gonna want.

Can't say I blame them.

I have to agree with you there, as much as the mask thing annoys me in the Spider-Man movies.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I don't mind the costume, even if it does look more Winter Olympics than Spider-Man. But the mask thing does bug me. I'm paying to see Spider-Man. So, you know, be Spider-Man. You'll get plenty of maskless scenes as Peter Parker. But when you're Spider-Man, you're Spider-Man.

Also, can we please see a superhero movie where the hero's identity starts off as a secret to everyone, and then by the end, is still a secret to everyone? Just for fun?
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I don't mind the costume, even if it does look more Winter Olympics than Spider-Man. But the mask thing does bug me. I'm paying to see Spider-Man. So, you know, be Spider-Man. You'll get plenty of maskless scenes as Peter Parker. But when you're Spider-Man, you're Spider-Man.

Also, can we please see a superhero movie where the hero's identity starts off as a secret to everyone, and then by the end, is still a secret to everyone? Just for fun?
    The weird thing is that when the mask is on I am thinking its Tobey Maguire underneath but he takes it off then I think its not Spider-man but Tobey. Keep it on for the fight at least.

But originally when they were considering Heath Ledger before Tobey they were going to design the mask to show the face but Raimi said no. Obviously they found a way around that.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

The weird thing is that when the mask is on I am thinking its Tobey Maguire underneath but he takes it off then I think its not Spider-man but Tobey. Keep it on for the fight at least.

I'll always remember hearing someone refer to Tobey Maguire as "that guy who always looks confused".
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    The more I see of this flick, the more interested I become.
  • Options
    HappenstanceHappenstance Posts: 113
    That trailer has actually got me interested again, before this I wasnt sure I was going to like the movie at all
  • Options
    The more I see of this flick, the more interested I become.
    Same here. And to think I started off writing this film off...
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Perhaps the suits feel like UT needs a giant mechanical spider?

I think that so long as JJJ is driving it, that would be just fine!
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Stupid mobile device interface! UT = it.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Dude.* I want to see a Spider-Man movie with JJJ as the protagonist.

Spider-Man: Threat or Menace?

*As this was post number 420, I felt obligated to add the "Dude."
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    LIzard in Labcoat = WIN

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Wow, that trailer looks appalling.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Dude.* I want to see a Spider-Man movie with JJJ as the protagonist.
    Bring on the Spider Slayers!!
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    I can't see why it's "applying.". In fact, I think looks better than the 1st Tobey McGuire film, which has to be the most overrated superhero movie in the last decade. Garfield looks like a Ditko drawing come to life.
  • Options
    Costume looks pretty good to me. I like the brighter colors.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    Love trailer #3.

I like how the new costume has that "biomechanic" feel to it. The structure looks "sticky" - thus more "spidery" than the old one.

Andrew Garfield is perfect for the role (as was Tobey McGuire). I so look forward to this movie.

Maybe SONY does hate the movie because it's not compatible with the games....
  • Options

What do you mean?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

What do you mean?
    just wild guessing ;;)