Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1690 Talkback - March 2018 Previews

Time once again to go through Previews! This time it's the March 2018 catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in May. Plus hear Pants give his thoughts on the closing of Toys R Us. (1:25:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    @Pants, sorry to hear about the closing of the “R”, but I know you'll land on your feet somehow. Best of luck in the job search.

Yes, Terry has practically a museum of comic art. He’s been a huge help to me over the years by sending me stuff to use in my books, often with notes giving little stories about the production of the respective issues, so I would not be at all surprised if he helped out with the IDW book.

Re: SiP, I thought the first issue was great. The second issue... not so much. Someone needed to quote The Princess Bride at Moore: “Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up.” I found myself skimming over several panels at a time.

Re: the various ’90s Oz books, @Adam_Murdough, I didn’t care much for Oz/Dark Oz, but I loved me some Oz Squad.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Albion is a great story about a bunch of classic British comic book characters. The original concept was from Moore himself and then Leah Moore and John Reppion ran with it. Alan Moore’s regular, and highly entertaining, use of other peoples’ creations makes for an interesting counterpoint to my qualms about what DC is doing with his (and Gibbons’) characters.

And Halo Jones in colour will also be interesting. The 2000AD and Rebellion guys spoke about this recently and how they do US based shows and can hook people in with Moore’s name but when they open the book and see it is black and white they lose interest. So hopefully this new venture will bring Halo Jones to a wider audience. The third and final part of the series is still one of my favourite things in comic books ever.

If you want to hear me warbling on about it, and discussing some of the feminist themes of Halo Jones with my daughter Jenny then listen in to my podcast:

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/53-halo-jones-revisited.html

And sorry to hear about the financial and employment problems facing the CGS crew, I’ll certainly chip in to the jar.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Caliban said:

Albion is a great story about a bunch of classic British comic book characters. The original concept was from Moore himself and then Leah Moore and John Reppion ran with it. Alan Moore’s regular, and highly entertaining, use of other peoples’ creations makes for an interesting counterpoint to my qualms about what DC is doing with his (and Gibbons’) characters.

And Halo Jones in colour will also be interesting. The 2000AD and Rebellion guys spoke about this recently and how they do US based shows and can hook people in with Moore’s name but when they open the book and see it is black and white they lose interest. So hopefully this new venture will bring Halo Jones to a wider audience. The third and final part of the series is still one of my favourite things in comic books ever.

If you want to hear me warbling on about it, and discussing some of the feminist themes of Halo Jones with my daughter Jenny then listen in to my podcast:

http://megacitybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/53-halo-jones-revisited.html

And sorry to hear about the financial and employment problems facing the CGS crew, I’ll certainly chip in to the jar.

I found Albion to be rather disappointing. Granted, I only had passing knowledge of some of the characters involved, but it just didn’t grab me like I was hoping it would.

If I hadn’t already read Halo Jones, I would almost certainly be getting these new color volumes. I saw some sample pages with Gibson talking about the coloring choices, and they look great. I think it will make the book much more attractive to US readers—and this is from someone who enjoys black-&-white comics.
  • aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    "Pants bubble"?
  • mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    been thinking about you lately Pants, with all the news about toys R Us, thx for addressing it on this podcast as I've been worried. I do hope i see you and Murd at Heroes Con.. I will be there with the usual crew .i.e, Mike and Barb Myers and our merry misfits :)
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Great episode to go over my Previews order with. Thanks, guys! Other than that, it felt like a bit of a downer with Pants no longer at Toys R Us and the Benson sisters final issue of Batgirl and the Birds of Prey being solicited. Ugh! Still, I enjoyed the banter from the guys (though once again, Chris's audio was quite choppy). I especially loved the glee in the Pant's voice when he surprised Murd by announcing another chance to Muddle him. Aw, too bad Murd. I'm sorry you didn't make it this time.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    edited March 2018
    @Pants - Sorry about to hear about TRU. I've also been wondering about you as they've been in the news lately. Working in a toy store is a unique joy, even when it sucks. I got off the front lines of retail ages ago, but my very first "real" job was at a KB. Mostly I don't miss that job, but I do have fond memories. Best of luck to you. I'm sure it'll work out.
  • Best wishes on the job hunt, Pants. You have a wealth of retail experience, so you should have no problem finding a position somewhere else. Still, it sucks. I've been there, gotten through it, and you'll get through it too. Onward and upward!
  • @Pants - as stated by others, I immediately thought of you when I heard the Toys R Us news. I've been where you are, but am glad to hear you seem to be in good spirits and a good place. You'll land on your feet, sir. Hoping it's sooner than later.

And, with regards to the OZ series @Adam_Murdough mentioned toward the end of the episode. I know it's not up Murd's alley, but if anyone wanted to try out this series for cheap, Comixology is currently having a Caliber sale (I believe it is through March 29, but I am not 100% certain). All the OZ collections are half off - $3.99 - and individual issues are only 99cents. And, since Caliber has taken over the publishing of one of my all-time favorite series, Vietnam Journal, you can get the same sale prices for those books. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Thanks, as always, Geeks for all the work you put into the show. It's much appreciated.

chris
  • TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2018
    I'm with @wildpigcomics and am definitely in on "Rome West" by Brian Wood. Previews look fantastic. Chris, along similar lines, did you ever read "Pax Romana" by Hickman? Excellent 4 part series about what happens when the Vatican gets a hold of time travel technology and sends a special forces team back to Ancient Rome to conquer the world.
  • @Adam_Murdough Mate - if it hasn't already been said in this thread - you would be most welcome in Australia! If you timed it right to coincide with one our local cons it might give you even more incentive!
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @Pants I'm adding my best wishes for (and confidence in) you, as you find your next chapter in life, career-wise. Just from what we've heard on the podcasts, you've been handed a number of sudden setbacks over the past few years but you've dealt with them well - I know you'll end up on your feet again. Sounds like you've got a pragmatic perspective and good friends around you.

@Adam_Murdough It has been decided - you must go to Australia - if anything, you are the American gueststar for which the Aussie soap "Neighbors" has been yearning! I see you as a billionaire anthropologist with a mysterious past...
  • Gentlemen, you intrigue me! I think I'll have to give Australia a try...
  • wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 16
    @Pants Doors close, doors open. Embrace it.