Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1691 Talkback - The CGS "Best of 2017" Awards Nominations Show

For the consideration of the Academy (i.e., YOU), this episode presents the results of our annual search for the most praiseworthy people and publications of the previous year in comics. Hear the Geeks' and listeners' choices for the best comics and creators of 2017, then cast your votes for the final winners! (1:31:34)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sorry to hear there was a relatively low turn-out. Hopefully the final vote will get a little more participation.

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2017): pass

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2017): Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2017): Royal City

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2017): Motor Girl

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: pass

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: Silver Surfer #14

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): “A Power Greater Than Cosmic”

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: pass — The only nominee I've read is Mister Miracle, and I cannot in any way classify that book as a sleeper or as a surprise.

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2017): Silver Surfer

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): Roughneck

BEST WRITER: Tom King

BEST ARTIST: Mike Allred

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Jeff Lemire

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Matt Wilson

BEST LETTERER: Todd Klein

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2017: Donny Cates

A little more Silver Surfer than I would have preferred, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I never vote in these because I’m usually not reading current stuff. But next year I’ll make a vow to be a little more current
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    This was my first year of participating. I've been reading more and more comics in trade and found it difficult to confirm what was released in 2017. I promise to do a better job next year.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

For the consideration of the Academy (i.e., YOU), this episode presents the results of our annual search for the most praiseworthy people and publications of the previous year in comics. Hear the Geeks' and listeners' choices for the best comics and creators of 2017, then cast your votes for the final winners! (1:31:34)

Listen here.

I'm most of the way through listening, but mostly listen in the car. Any chance that you could post a sample ballot?
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    hauberk said:

Listen here.

I'm most of the way through listening, but mostly listen in the car. Any chance that you could post a sample ballot?
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Well, sorry. I missed sending my nominations because I was on vacation (when I tend to stray away from my normal activity routine -like listening to podcasts). BUT...it seems that because of the low turnout we got more of a variety of nominees than usual. I'm going to get right on sending my votes in...
  • Options
    I heard Murd pronounce Barbatos not the way it has been in my head... I pronounce it bar-BAT-tos. Anyone else?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I heard Murd pronounce Barbatos not the way it has been in my head... I pronounce it bar-BAT-tos. Anyone else?

I have to assume the name Barbatos was taken from the duke of Hell of the same name, as listed in The Lesser Key of Solomon and other books on demonology. In which case it should be pronounced as Murd pronounced it, with the accent on the first syllable.
  • Options

I have to assume the name Barbatos was taken from the duke of Hell of the same name, as listed in The Lesser Key of Solomon and other books on demonology. In which case it should be pronounced as Murd pronounced it, with the accent on the first syllable.
    *Puts quarter in the jar.

Very good sir. Good to know the reason. I just love BAT-man.