Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Review of Suicide Squad Hell to Pay for those who enjoy reviews after seeing. SPOILERS!!!!

If any further evidence were needed that comic fans (esp those of us who've been around for awhile) were living in a golden age, this is it. Although most theatrically released superhero movies are always overtly concerned with making sure that non-comics readers understand who's who – even going so far as to make sure origins are included for heroes that have had their origins told on the big screen more than a few times already, like Spiderman and Batman – that's not the case here. Although non-fans should be able to follow along without much of a problem (presumably the viewers are older since this is rated R and definitely not for children - another "golden age" perk for older fans), familiarity with several of the characters will make for a more rewarding viewing, especially when it comes to Professor Zoom, who actually carries in a storyline from the Flashpoint Paradox.

The Ugly (for fans of Harley): Fans who watch this looking for a Harley fix, look elsewhere. She may be part of the team but her impact is negligible. Screenwriter Burnett fails to make most of the Harley jokes connect, and the new voiceover person isn't doing the character any favors either, but this may just be a fault of how she's written/directed. Lackluster and afterthought are two words to come to mind. If anything, it feels as if Burnett felt forced to include her, and no doubt he did.

The Bad: Script-wise, not everything makes sense. The third act features two enormous head-scratchers (1. Although Vandal Savage explains why he needs the Get Out of Hell Free card (a great high-stakes macguffin), it still doesn't make sense since he's still immortal 2. Apparently the Speed Force can also make your body slow down in time? Has this ever happened before or is this entirely contrived for this film? The biggest plothole which is larger than the hole in Zoom's skull, is why in the world are Scandal Savage and her team continuing to hunt down the Doctor Fate stand-in at the strip club and afterwards after they've already obtained the card from him? This is so perplexing, I had to wonder if I somehow missed something. Then, they steal him away from a police officer and the character's completely forgotten about it.

The Good: Deadshot fans should be really happy as this is one of the best arcs he's ever likely to get. Surprisingly, none of the plotholes - and the last one is egregious - are likely to affect long time DC fans' enjoyment of this. At least it didn't affect mine. Burnett starts off with a James Bond-style cold open (that precedes some wonderfully appropriate Grindhouse-style credits) that manages to subvert audience expectations when he introduces two characters that would absolutely be wearing red shirts if this were an episode of the original Star Trek. Things don't get down exactly the way you would think. Things get even more interesting from there as more and more villains are introduced for the Squad to butt heads with and it soon becomes clear that Burnett isn't really interested in writing JUST a Suicide Squad movie, but a cross-over with mini versions of other noteworthy villain teams like the Secret Six and the Secret Society of Super Villains! As is always the case, villains have a far greater amount of behaviors they can engage in and are far less predictable than heroes which makes for a mostly compelling and exciting film as the double-crossings and murders start and bleed towards the climax. The final "double cross"/twist involving one character rightly assessing that another doesn't "deserve" something also makes for an extremely satisfying and perfect conclusion to the riveting "hot-potato" confrontations and fights that precede it.

Highly recommended for longtime fans, especially those familiar with DC villain groups. A definite Buy.

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Found it surprisingly quite good. Very entertaining. I don’t remember or didn’t notice the plot hole you described. But I’ve only watched it once. I totally agree with you on Harley. She had no reason to be in this other than to cash in on her popularity. I personally found her to be especially annoying here too.
    I also find mist often the R rating is forced and not necessary. The things that give it the rating usually feel inorganic and gratuitous to me and I think they’d play better if they just focused on the story than trying to be “mature”, which is most often what it feels like they’re doing imo. This had some cool unexpected turns and surprises. Well done and very enjoyable.