Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How to keep up with books in trades?

Fellow geeks, after many years buying floppies I am starting to drastically scale back and switch to trades. There's a few reasons for this;

1) I get so many floppies now that it takes me most of the month to read them, so I don't have time to read the trades I already do own. If I only get trades I'll feel less pressure, and will read them in whatever order I prefer.
2) For many books, whether it is because of inconsistent releases or just my bad memory, I have already forgotten what happened the previous issues when I read a floppy.

To that end, in my most recent DCBS order I only got 8 new floppies down from ~30 on usual months. Some of those 8 are miniseries I was already reading and want to finish. In the future I can see myself only ordering things I simply can't wait for.

To that end, I'm quite excited about switching to TPBs, but I don't quite understand, *how*?

With floppies if there's something I like it goes in my pull list and I never have to think about it again. I get it every month. If there's something I'm unsure about I'll order 1 issue, and if I like it it will go on my pull list and I'll try to find any issues I've missed in between.

So... how do you follow a series you really like in trades? For example, I want to get the new Black Hammer trades the month they come out. Do you simply have to be extra diligent when going through Previews, to make sure you don't forget anything? Do you keep a list of ongoing books that you periodically check to see if any new trades have come out?

Help me folks, how do I transition to being a TPB reader?

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited May 2018
    For me, I just put, for example, “Saga TPs” on my pull list at my shop, just like I would put any monthly title. I do look at the Diamond “shipping this week” list (available on their website) before I go into the shop so that I know what to ask about if anything (TPs or monthlies) appears to be missing from my bag. So it's not a big deal for me, and I get my same bag discount on TPs as well as single issues.

Also, you can track book release dates on Amazon. Because the book market works far more in advance of the direct market, you can see a book’s release date several months in advance.