Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman #49 Spoiler Discussion Did anyone understand what King was going for?

Big fan of Tom King of here. While I understood that the title The Best Man was an allusion to "best man wins" and that the "Best Man" at this wedding is Catwoman - was that all King was going for with this long drawn out "bleed out" session between Joker and Catwoman? I can't say I like it when King or other writers attempt to give Joker psychoanalytic reasons for doing what he does (i.e in the sense that he keeps seeing that he needs Bats and Bats needs him). While it was cool and interesting when Moore (first?) did it back in Killing Joke, I envision the Joker being much crazier than that. I don't think he should care that Bats is getting married. I would've found it more interesting if the Joker had no kind of emotional attachment to Batman at all. He should be crazier than that.

In any case, still wondering if anyone got more out of this issue than I did because by the end of it I was getting the vibe that King might have been "muddying his waters to appear deep" or to at least stretch the story out.

Comments